2008 Impala...another pan drop or flush this time?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm getting ready to service the transmission on my 2008 Impala again at 73,000 miles. The first time (33,000 miles) I dropped the pan, replaced the filter and added about 7 qts. of Amsoil (the thinner viscosity stuff which they say is compatible with the newer DexVI). Just for giggles I called the dealer and they said they "prefer" to flush the trans (and would use DexVI). Their cost is about the same as my cost for the pan drop (I'd be using the Amsoil again...trans shifts fine with the stuff and the specs I read indicate it may be superior to the DexVI). I like the idea of getting the filter replaced (dealer wants another $100 or so to do a pan drop AND a flush)but I'm wondering if the filter in there would be OK if I went with the flush (also like the thought of getting all the fluid out). Any advice guys?

Do the drop with a superior fluid! I am trying to think of a reason for the flush, but I can't. Maybe someone else can. But for the same price I think it is more prudent to add a superior fluid. (I am not saying DexVI is a bad fluid, I just think Amsoil has a proven record with their fluids).

Stick with your DIY fluid/filter change. The transmission flush is a real money maker for the dealership so they'll strongly recommend it every time. If it was necessary, GM would have said so in the factory service manual.

I didn't use AMSOIL; however, I did use Valvoline's semi-synthetic Dexron transmission fluid in my '89 Corvette's 700R4 every time I changed the fluid/filter at 30K intervals. The Vette was heavily auto-xed and did track days at VIR and other local tracks. The tranny lasted for 173K miles before the band material finally deteriorated to the point I had to rebuild. (The Vette is still going strong at 261K.)

yea...since you've been "on top" of the maintenance thus far, I don't see the need for a complete fluid exchange/flush....I'd just do the pan drop and filter change, and top off with more Amsoil.

There is no need for a flush. Since you get 7+ qts out with a pan drop and filter change you're getting adequate fluid replacement by doing it every 30-35k miles. The filter probably doesn't really need to be replaced but if you're dropping the pan you might as well. I tore open my filter from my GP with the 4T65E at 150k miles (pan drops every 30k) and it looked very clean.

You may still have 1qt of Dex left in the tranny after this next pan drop with amsoil. But I would do it DIY with the superior fluid and know it was done right.

When you do the pan drop install a B&M drain plug in the pan, they cost about $10 and are a wonderful maintenance item.

For that miles you should be OK for a pan drop. If you add a magnifine filter that will help things. Amsoil is hard to beat. My Dad went 80K on the regular Amsoil ATF and it was still cherry red.

I just finished servicing my wife's 2002 Nissan Maxima with 113,xxx miles. I honestly don't believe it has been done before, so I got a new WIX "screen" filter and gasket and 10 quarts of Amsoil ATF which meets the Nissan Matic-D spec that her care requires. This also was changed with the radiator which also acts as the oil cooler. A oil line runs throught he bottom of the radiator.

The manual calls for 9 qts in the transmission system. I drained the pan and measured, about 4-4.5 quarts. I add 4 quarts of Walmart SuperTech DexronIII/Mercon ($9.97), which also meets the Nissan Matic-D spec. I get my brother to help and we disconnect the oil line right before it goes back into the transmission. I crank the car and let idle and 20-30 seconds, at this point my brother can see the color difference in transmission fluid, so I shut-down the engine. I gave him this job, I'm color-blind and couldn't see the difference. He's also the electrician when we wire stuff. But anyways, theres another 4-5 quarts that just came out of the line, so then we drop the pan and change the screen. It wasn't a paper filter like most, but a screen and my brother and I agreed that we like the screen better. We get the new screen on and new gasket and fill with 4 quarts of Amsoil ATF. This stuff has a unique ordor and working a few hours around it spoiled our apetite for dinner. So with around 4 quarts of Walmart SuperTech in the "lines" and around 4 quarts of Amsoil in the pan, I crank and drain the Walmart SuperTech until my brother saw or smelled the Amsoil, then shut-down and add Amsoil to pan and measure on dipstick. Again, the manual calls for 9 quarts of ATF, I ordered 10 just in case. May not be your typical "flush" but I feel confident that there is little to no OEM ATF and 98-99% Amsoil ATF. Should be good for another 75-100,000 miles I hope. We do not have severe driving conditions. I haven't driven it yet to see if I can tell a difference in shifting due to some other repairs. Yeah, I've sunk about $400 in this car in the last week. Hoping it pays off...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back