Dealer added "BG ATC Plus® Automatic Transmission Conditioner" to my transmission flush, snake oil or helpful?

Owen Lucas

$100 Site Donor 2023
2020 Honda CRV Hybrid. 2 L Non-turbo 4 cyl with the CVT and some hybrid tech in there so it's not a normal CRV trans. 68k miles.

It was time for the trans fluid replacement so I give the go ahead. I realize now on the service documents that they added this BG stuff. Should I be concerned?

Dealer said it was time for the transmission change but I could swear I had it done a while back. Service writer showed my the maintenance logs on their portal and there was no trans fluid service present, figured maybe I'm confused as we have a few CRVs in the family.

I check my documents when I get home and the trans fluid was indeed changed 18k likes ago at 50k.

Would there be any harm with an early flush and having this BG trans conditioner added?

p.s. I'm going to have a conversation with the old dealer I used to go to as they haven't entered any maintenance work for 30k miles!

Well that website says no CVTs so I'd go into the dealer and have a chat. Get it out of there, genuine honda fluid only.
Crap, ugh. What a mess. They are out of town too, this will be fun.

Another snake oil product just to squeeze a few more dollars out of you.
Had they asked me about adding this crap I would have declined, but they did it without consent and now I have this mess.

I wonder how many times the trans fluid needs to be changed to get all the BG chemicals out of the trans. I'm not sure how much will be left in the torque converter even after another change. :oops:

Had they asked me about adding this crap I would have declined, but they did it without consent and now I have this mess.

I wonder how many times the trans fluid needs to be changed to get all the BG chemicals out of the trans. I'm not sure how much will be left in the torque converter even after another change. :oops:
Not enough to make a difference-IMHO.

I think you need to verify if they put in the CVT version.
I'll call the parts department first to see if they have either in stock just to make sure the service dept. doesn't say "oh yeah we documented the wrong additive".

I don't think there is a torque converter on most cvt transmissions.
Good point, I do not see a torque converter in the diagram. Appears they use some an electromagnetic clutch. In fact, I do not even see a CVT belt.

Being an "E-CVT" maybe it doesn't matter the ATC was used but this is a very technical question now, is it a CVT in name only or does a non CVT conditioner still cause issues here?

trans diagram.png

Last edited:
I know someone who loves oil additives: @RDY4WAR

rdy4war.gif

I like how they don't publish any relevant information on their website.

Publishing this doesn't make it more legit:
1687123437486.jpg

That flash point is absolutely terrible. Only the Good Lord knows what the OP got poured into his transmission. Yuck!

If this happened to me, I'd raise a stink so big that it would reach the heavens within a week. I would file a written complaint everywhere, including Honda. No matter what, this is not acceptable.

And this ladies and gentleman is why I don't like to go to dealerships or independent shops. And alignment is the most I will do anywhere. The auto repair industry is not trust inspiring, at all.

I'll call the parts department first to see if they have either in stock just to make sure the service dept. doesn't say "oh yeah we documented the wrong additive".
IF they do claim that they documented the wrong additive, make sure you get this on paper record to assist if something bad should happen in the future. At your mileage, you should have their full lifetime transmission replacement warranty (plan 1: $4,000). Maybe remind them you plan long term ownership and possible tranny repairs.

Do yourself a favor and keep maintenance records yourself. For service garage work, it can be as simple as tossing the receipts in a large envelope that you can dig through IF you ever need them. To be honest, I had a 15+ year period (marriage, kids, home, career) when it was difficult to keep on top of everything.

I'm going to make a WAG that these additives are harmless, maybe similar to Lubegard products that many here endorse and use. BUT, they should have used the correct one.

Last edited:
That flash point is absolutely terrible. Only the Good Lord knows what the OP got poured into his transmission. Yuck!
Definitely having the fluid exchanged now.

Do yourself a favor and keep maintenance records yourself. For service garage work, it can be as simple as tossing the receipts in a large envelope that you can dig through IF you ever need them. To be honest, I had a 15+ year period (marriage, kids, home, career) when it was difficult to keep on top of everything.
I keep them, filing cabinet and scanned into the computer. It's just the last dealer I used for 39k miles didn't add anything to Honda's portal. Had they done this, I would not have opted for the early trans fluid exchange.

I will ask the parts dept. first if they sell the ATC and if it's Ok for the E-CVT, then ask for the parts order on my service. Then the service manager. Looks like this CRV will have a 3rd trans flush before 70k, wow.

I'll bet that BG doesn't even make a product suitable for use in Honda's proprietary i-MMD electromagnetic clutch unit. The i-MMD system is not a CVT (nor a planetary- or shaft-gear transmission) in any way, shape or form.

This is why I service vehicles myself, I see a lot of shops pushing additives, BG in particular even some of the youtube channels I often watch which is kind of turning me away.

I would be demanding a flush free of charge with zero additives added with proof that it was done.

This is why I service vehicles myself, I see a lot of shops pushing additives, BG in particular even some of the youtube channels I often watch which is kind of turning me away.

I would be demanding a flush free of charge with zero additives added with proof that it was done.
I was staying away from a DIY service because of the hybrid aspect and the extended warranty we bought. I'll continue to stick to dealers but I will emphasize no snake oils into my vehicle!

Treat it like a "flush fill" that you drove for a few hundred miles.

Now drain it all out at an independent shop or on your own, and refill with real CVT fluid.

If you want to use aftermarket CVT Fluid, I'd suggest the Lubegard product: https://www.lubegard.com/products/cvt/
That is a good point, I don't think I got the trans over the flash point of 288* as it was an unloaded vehicle on cool days, it was hilly terrain but not too bad. I've heard great things about Lubegard on this forum, good to know they make a trans fluid. I'll have my local dealer do the fluid replacement, I don't want to get involved in trans work, plus I'd need to go to the dealer to get the drain plug. My local dealership is pretty good though.

Your Honda has an E-CVT, which is nothing like a conventional CVT with a belt.
It still uses conventional Honda DW-1 fluid so I wouldn't get all sweaty worrying about the additive. Just be more specific when you go places as to what you want done and what they intend to do.

Your Honda has an E-CVT, which is nothing like a conventional CVT with a belt.
It still uses conventional Honda DW-1 fluid so I wouldn't get all sweaty worrying about the additive. Just be more specific when you go places as to what you want done and what they intend to do.
This makes me wonder, is CVT fluid different because of the belt / band used or is it for other reasons like the types of friction materials used in the clutches?

Ok I see where you are going, even though this is a, i-MMD trans, it is still using regular non CVT fluid, so the BG ATC isn't horribly incompatible. Though still having poor performance numbers i.e. flash point, I'm having it flushed and will see if I can get get refunded.

Back