Reliability of Dodge Ram trucks?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Morning, went to a car lot yesterday to look at some new trucks. Lot is a combined Ford-Dodge-Chrysler-Jeep-Ram lot, so there is plenty of selection. Looked mostly at used (even though I probably wont buy for 1 or 2 years) And was really impressed by an '09 Ram 2500 5.7L ( Pic and Description ) Anyways, I have heard good and bad about the RAMS, just like every truck, but Rams bad list seems to be longer than some. Anyone have opinions? TIA

I had an 02 ram 4.7 for 2 yrs and had no trouble, but was underpowered for a large truck. My uncle had the.same truck and had tons of problems, i cant remember now but seems like it was major engine stuff. His only had 40k miles. He put lot of money in it then traded it. I think ford trucks are all around better, i do like the cummins though. My .02

My wife's uncle just bought himself a 2011 Dodge Ram with a 4.7L V-8 a few months ago. He didn't go for the Hemi, and says the engine in his is plenty powerful enough. It seems like a nice truck.

Thanks for your replies, guys, forgot to mention above, I also liked a 2009 SIlverado 1500, anyone own a 2007 or newer? Any help is appreciated

I just sold my '07 Ram 3500 last week. The HD Ram trucks are known for eating front ends. Ball joints,U-joints,steering boxes,etc. are all very common problems on the Rams.

I had to replace both front axle u-joints just after 36K miles. Even though I was out of warranty,I got Dodge to warranty one and I paid for the other.

Other than the front ends,Rams are solid trucks.

Originally Posted By: renegade_987
Thanks for your replies, guys, forgot to mention above, I also liked a 2009 SIlverado 1500, anyone own a 2007 or newer? Any help is appreciated

Along with my Ram 3500,I sold my '07 Tahoe last week. In 90K miles the only issue I had was a leaking front axle seal. Fixed under warranty about 6 months ago.

Other than that,it was all normal maintanance.

It ran like a top when I sold it.

The third and fourth generation (2002-2008, 2009-present) Rams seem to be very reliable mechanically. The early third-gens (2002-maybe 2005 or so) tend to have some HVAC issues- leaks in heater cores, blend-door problems, etc.) but those seem resolved in the later ones. Engines are typical Chrysler- completely bulletproof and indestructible. Fortunately, the transmissions used in the 3rd-gens (545RFE) have restored transmission reliability to Chrysler as well. The previous (2nd-gen) Rams were never as bad as the minivans, but the overdrive unit that Chrysler grafted onto the old A-727 to create the 46RH was always a weak spot.

If you look at a 4.7L v8, be aware that there are two "generations" of it as well. From its start in ~1999 through 2007, it was rated at 235HP. For 2008 and later, it got new cylinder heads with dual plugs and slant/squish combustion chambers, new pistons, and new forged connecting rods and a horsepower boost up to 310. Its still just a 287 cubic inch engine, so it delivers that power a little higher up in the RPM range than the Hemi does, but its very capable and shouldn't be dismissed out-of-hand for the Hemi like the older 4.7 often was. The new 4.7 now competes very favorably with the GM 5.3L engine. We've got an 08 1500 quad-cab with the 4.7 and its done everything we've ever asked it to without flinching. It also gets around 20 mpg on the highway (empty, running 70 mph), which isn't bad for how big the vehicle is.

One other thing... Rams (except for the Cummins powered ones) have never held their resale value quite as well as Ford and GM. I think that's ridiculous, but its just the nature of being the little guy more than anything about the trucks themselves. It has its good points, too- a very nice low-mileage used Ram will cost you a good bit less than a comparable Ford or GM.

The Cummins Rams are the exact opposite. They hold value better than any other vehicle I can think of. Its all about that engine and how long its known to last.

Thanks guys, I like what 440Magnum said about the Dodge trucks being cheaper used, not sure about it eating the front ends like Stewart Fan said. I'll have to test drive some more trucks before I decide. Thanks again!

Thanks guys, I like what 440Magnum said about the Dodge trucks being cheaper used, not sure about it eating the front ends like Stewart Fan said. I'll have to test drive some more trucks before I decide. Thanks again!

Rapid front end component wear is mostly confined to the Gen 2 (94-02) trucks, and the HD/4x4 trucks in the 3rd gen. And its not consistent- some seem to wear the front ends quickly, others never have a problem.

My dad has an 05' 1500 Hemi. It has has the blend door removed by him because dodge told him it would require taking out the dash and $1200 to fix it. It told him the procedure and it took him 5 minutes. Water pump@60k, rear end rebuild@ 67K- I think this was the anti-spin clutches that came appart and tore it up. Ideler pulley @34k. He says he likes it... The truck has 70K on it now..
I have driven it many times and can get just under 20mpg hand calculated, the overhead says 23mpg.
Dusty

A co-worker has an '04 Ram with the same blend door problem. He has no A/C in the summer time, and more importantly, no defrost in humid conditions.

Just have him pull the blower motor out and reach up and pull the door out and it aught to be good to go. Takes 5 minutes.
If you/he was close I'd do it for you
My dad was MAD when that happened... I walked him through it in the phone. I have personaly done 12-15 myself. I'm convenced that its a design flaw and that nearly 100% of them will fail

Last edited:
not sure about it eating the front ends like Stewart Fan said.

Go check out a couple forums dedicated to HD Dodge trucks and ask if the front ends are problematic.

Come back and tell me what you find.

Neighbor's 2007 Ram 4x4 sat behind the Dodge dealership for 6 weeks waiting for a steering gearbox... under warranty.

Nor would Dodge provide a loaner vehicle. He made a payment and a half on a truck that he couldn't even drive.

His brother-in-law bought a 2010 Ram, and within a week of buying it, the dealer was replacing the tie rods on the front end... and re-balancing all four tires.

Originally Posted By: mrsilv04
Neighbor's 2007 Ram 4x4 sat behind the Dodge dealership for 6 weeks waiting for a steering gearbox... under warranty.

Nor would Dodge provide a loaner vehicle. He made a payment and a half on a truck that he couldn't even drive.

His brother-in-law bought a 2010 Ram, and within a week of buying it, the dealer was replacing the tie rods on the front end... and re-balancing all four tires.

Ive owned 4 of them over the last 15 years. Lets see Im thinking... one of them had a recall to check the air bag harness... I think that covers it.

dad has a 2002 rear has been replaced 1 time, limited slip 2 times, trans been replaced, engine has sludge in it on 5000 mile intervals on dino, drinks about a quart every 800 miles engine has had other problems i cant remember, one day the trans wouldn't shift unless u let off the gas, power steering rack been replaced, new rack leaks, power windows don't work in back, door locks don't work, key fob doesn't work, bed is rusting inside, back fenders are rusting, tailgate almost has holes in the bottom, parking brake doesn't work it doesnt release, some mornings it starts 1st time,blower motor is very loud on high, oh and it has 62000 miles on it with everything done as the manual said. his previous 96 ram wasn't much better and its pretty safe to say a dodge dealer will be avoided next time

I like Rams, but they are the only late model full size truck I've ever experienced a major mechanical problem with. I was driving a rented 2006 Ram 1500 4.7 4x4 that suddenly developed a massive exhaust leak or something. The CEL came on, and the truck suddenly became VERY loud and slow. Popped the hood and checked fluids, looked underneath for damage, then drove it back to the rental place. Was a great truck right up until that happened...only a few thousand miles on it.

A couple years ago I had a neighbor with a 2005 Ram 4.7 that suddenly started exhibiting the same symptoms one day. He worked on it for a couple days in the parking lot, then gave up and took it to a shop. I don't know what eventually fixed it.

I've seen other brands of newer trucks with CELs and such, but never with problems that basically made them undrivable. I still think they are good trucks overall though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back