Does anyone know when the PSI standards started?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks CapriRacer

Jim

PS Could you please add some clarification for those who might be listening in about the 35, 44, and the 51 psi differences for passenger tires? Thanks Again, Jim

Originally Posted By: AstroTurf
Thanks CapriRacer

Jim

PS Could you please add some clarification for those who might be listening in about the 35, 44, and the 51 psi differences for passenger tires? Thanks Again, Jim

Be glad to.

One of the things that the tire standardizing organizations do is set the relationship between inflation pressure and load carrying capacity. Normmlly the standard is stated in the form a table delineated by tire size. This table has increasing load capacity as the inflation pressure increases - up to a maximum inflation pressure.

Part of the standard are supplemental notes that are used to describe different situations that would chhnge this relationship.

For example, mining haul trucks may operate at different speeds depending on the configuration of the haul road. Some are twisty, so the speeds are slow, while others may be downhill and generate high speeds. The tire standards offer guidance by way of these supplemental notes - at slower speeds, tire can carry more weight.

Further, some of these tires are used on cranes that operate on paved surfaces - as opposed to unpaved haul roads. In that case not only would the tire standard suggest that using more inflation pressure (above what is listed as a max in the table), but other alterations to the load vs pressure relationship.

In the case of passenger car tires, the standard is predicated on a set of conditions normal for passenger cars - paved surfaced, highway speeds, etc. - and the load table reflects that.

But if a tire is operated at high speeds, the standard offers guidance in how to deal with that - higher inflation presures, and/or reduced loads.

But what is printed on the sidewall of a passenger car tire doesn't give a lot of detail about all of that. It is a simple statement: Max Load, Max pressure - without all the detail as to when these apply.

For normal operation, the inflation pressure is maxed out at 35 psi. This would apply for S and T speed rated tires. But if the vehicle is going to operate at higher speeds, then higher pressures would be called for.

For H speed rated tires, the test pressure is 44 psi - so an H speed rated tire has to have a sidewall pressure of at least 44 psi.

For V and higher speed rated tires, the test pressure is 51 psi.

So the tire standard reflects these 3 situations. The problem here is that this is an over-simplification - and doesn't address the situations in between. The tire standard is general enough to accommodate those.

Some tire manufacturers take a very strict view of this and will only show 35 psi on S and T tires, 44 on H, and 51 on V and higher. Others take a different view on this and will put 44 (or even 51) on S and T rated tires, and 51 on H's. Some of this is due to pressures from the marketing department - who care little about the technical considerations.

So you will find a variety of pressures listed on the sidewall of tires even though the constructions are very similar. And since all the tire manufacturers point to the vehicle tire placard, what is listed on the sidewall almost has no meaning - and certainly not some of the meanings sometimes subscribed to it.

I know this is a long post, but I felt I needed to talk a bit about the depth of the background behind tire standards.

CapriRacer,

Thank You for that explanation.

More of the puzzle pieces are coming together for me.

Thanks Again, Jim

PS Does your vast knowledge of tire operating parameters give you an advantage on track days? LOLz, Jim

CapriRacer,

Thank You for that explanation.

More of the puzzle pieces are coming together for me.

Thanks Again, Jim

PS Does your vast knowledge of tire operating parameters give you an advantage on track days? LOLz, Jim

Jim,

You would think so, but alas, I just don't have the innate talent that others have. Plus, I purposely kept my expenses low. This limited what I was willing to do - and tires was one of those. I ran on old tires my entire racing career.

My whole philosophy was built around having fun. I admit that racing side by side was the most fun, but I still had a ball tackling the course - trying to achieve that perfect lap. Never got there.

There were only 2 things I did that utilized my tire knowledge.

The first was reducing the amount of Akerman. This was a cheap change - some labor and a couple of washers. I changed a car that pushed like a pig to one I could put anywhere I wanted. I could have taken this change further, but that would have required some machining work - and I was satisifed with how far I taken it.

The second was stiffening up the rear springs. This was, by far, the most expensive change I made. Once I made the change, I realized I needed to go further, but my miserly approach prevented that.

There were other things that I thought of that I am sure others would not have thought of that would have given me a small advantage, but I was nowhere talented enough to exploit them - so I didn't bother.

Originally Posted By: Volvo_ST1
Originally Posted By: TacticalDriver
Thank you anticipated

You anticipate people thanking you?

And how did you genius come to the conclusion I am anticipating people to thank me?!?!?

"Thank you anticipated" means "Thank you in advance" (for your time and effort)

anticipation - in advance - a notion you should have learned from your driver's ed courses.

To anticipate someone veering into you path of travel. Anticipation is the very essence of accident avoidance.

You very welcome

P.S. I do expect you to thank me for the free lesson.

P.S.2 Naaaaaahhhhhh.. .. I don't expect you to do that

w0w,

Look what I found...

Enjoy, Jim

PS You have to copy and paste the address in to your address bar area, I think?

http://news.google.com/newspapers?id=okcqAAAAIBAJ&sjid=P08EAAAAIBAJ&pg=7360,4834648&dq=tire+pressure&hl=en

And the hits just keep on coming...

http://news.google.com/newspapers?id=idhVAAAAIBAJ&sjid=ReEDAAAAIBAJ&pg=5152,3720642&dq=tire+pressure&hl=en

You very welcome

How about taking an ESL course, Marin? You ARE very welcome. Thank you not anticipated.
wink.gif

You very welcome

How about taking an ESL course, Marin? You ARE very welcome. Thank you not anticipated.
wink.gif

Yes, I guess that is a great idea. Attending an ESL course will dramatically improve the use of your English language.

Good luck with that!

You very welcome

wink.gif

Yes, I guess that is a great idea. Attending an ESL course will dramatically improve the use of your English language.

Good luck with that!

Volvo ST1's point is that your sentence structure is off in several posts, i.e. the grammar needs work.

Responding with odd grammar elegantly makes his point for him.

If you're going to speak with any credibility, I would recommend proper grammar and spelling...not always required, of course, but recommended...

Last edited:
And the hits just keep on coming...

http://news.google.com/newspapers?id=idhVAAAAIBAJ&sjid=ReEDAAAAIBAJ&pg=5152,3720642&dq=tire+pressure&hl=en

Wowww...this news paper was printed one month before I was born.

So would be justified to assume that the methodology of choosing the optimum PSI is as old as Jan 1st 1968?

I have been pouring over old articles all morning. The ads are pretty good too. Oh to have some of that pricing here today.

But, It does seem like that is when the suggestions started. I will continue to look to try to find out when they changed from suggestions to written in stone psi law.

LOLz, Jim

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back