Oil Suggestion for 2011 Jetta 2.5L

Status
Not open for further replies.
What about Castrol SLX Professional 5w-30? My local VW dealer has switched to that for 502 applications.

I may do that, Critic. Also, I've thought about M1 ESP 5w30, as it is 504/507, which superceeds 502. I'm planning on 5k changes, so a low SAPS oil should not be a problem.

Some VW dealers have good prices on SLX as well.

Great thread.

I just purchased a 2011 VW Jetta 2.5 SE and am uneasy about the 10K OCI VW recommends. It is under warranty for 3 years, so I will use a VW approved oil like M1 0w40. I am thinking of following a 5K OCI since the Jetta will be seeing a 50/50 mix of city/highway driving. However, I am not the oil expert here. You guys are, so I'm hoping I can get some guidance regarding my new car's OCI.

I appreciate the help!

Originally Posted By: lancerplayer
Great thread.

I just purchased a 2011 VW Jetta 2.5 SE and am uneasy about the 10K OCI VW recommends. It is under warranty for 3 years, so I will use a VW approved oil like M1 0w40. I am thinking of following a 5K OCI since the Jetta will be seeing a 50/50 mix of city/highway driving. However, I am not the oil expert here. You guys are, so I'm hoping I can get some guidance regarding my new car's OCI.

I appreciate the help!

Congrats!! I too just picked up (feb) a 2011 Jetta SE 2.5L.

I got the 5spd w/ convenience pkg.

Like you, I say NO WAY to the 10k a year OCI. I did my oil at around 600 miles to M1 0w40 (definitely not needed but im sick in the head, so its all good)

I too plan on doing 5k oil changes with M1 0w40.

I drive about 80% city.

Also, FYI:
While you do have a 3yr "basic" warranty, the VW's also come with a 5yr/60K mile "power train". So I would recommend keeping with a VW 502 speced oil not only until atleast your out of the "power train" warranty, but for the life of the car.

Thanks for the response rg200amp.

I have two questions.

1) In regards to voiding the warranty, how would VW know what oil I used? For example, I would like to use Rotella T6 for 5K, then 5K later take it to the dealer for the free scheduled maintenance oil change at 10K. As long as I used a genuine VW oil filter, how could they tell which oil was used?

2) What is the factory fill from VW? I know it's synthetic Castrol, but what viscosity and specific oil. Would there be any harm alternating oils every 5K? For example, I would run 5w40 T6 for 5K, then have the dealer use Castrol XwXX, and then continue with the Rotella/Castrol pattern.

Originally Posted By: lancerplayer
Thanks for the response rg200amp.

I have two questions.

1) In regards to voiding the warranty, how would VW know what oil I used? For example, I would like to use Rotella T6 for 5K, then 5K later take it to the dealer for the free scheduled maintenance oil change at 10K. As long as I used a genuine VW oil filter, how could they tell which oil was used?

2) What is the factory fill from VW? I know it's synthetic Castrol, but what viscosity and specific oil. Would there be any harm alternating oils every 5K? For example, I would run 5w40 T6 for 5K, then have the dealer use Castrol XwXX, and then continue with the Rotella/Castrol pattern.

1) They may never know and you would have no issues what so ever.

The issue comes in at *if* you have a major engine failure. Before a car maker shell out all of that cash for a new engine, they usally try to find a way out of the contract. It is not unheard of (even more so when the car maker specs a special oil) that the car dealer/maker take a UOA (used oil sample) to see what you were running. Also, they need to see proof you used the right oil at the right OCI. So if your using T6 every 5k and dealer oil every other 5k, they would see you have used the right oil every 10k so they more than likely would not even worry about doing a UOA. Now. Say your out of your "free oil change" period and you start doing your own oil changes. If you can't prove you used speced oil you may run into a issue.

2) The factory fill from VW is Castrol Syntec 5w40. Their will be no harm to change oils from one OCI to another. I plan on using my M1 0w40 every other 5k and let the dealer change it for the 3 free times with their Castrol. After that, I am going to stick to M1 0w40 at 5k OCIs.

Why not just stick with a VW speced oil?

rg...great reply. My reply is in no way to flame or say you're wrong, it's just some thoughts from my end. Take it for what it's worth...

As far as "approved oils" go, I certainly see the point of using them if something big goes wrong. What are the chances of this? Who knows, honestly. Pretty slim, I would imagine. However, my point is that VW 502 is not a really "stout" spec. I believe one of the biggest things is an HTHS >3.5. So, as you well know, a lot of oils fit the bill. On top of that, there are a LOT of oils out there that while not approved, are as good or better than some of the VW 502 oils in some ways. That being said, M1 0w40 and GC are two approved oils that are fantastic. I'm running a short interval of M1 TDT, and then the decision is...GC, M1 0w40, Castrol 5w40, or the 504/507 Castrol SLX, which is a 5w30, but approved. Or maybe T6 or TDT.

Funny thing is, I can get the SLX for 6.60/liter, plus minimal shipping. It's approved, a bit cheaper than off the shelf stuff if it's not on sale, so maybe I'll be "safe" and go with that. Decisions decisions...

Originally Posted By: BTLew81
That being said, M1 0w40 and GC are two approved oils that are fantastic. and then the decision is...GC, M1 0w40, Castrol 5w40, or the 504/507 Castrol SLX, which is a 5w30, but approved.

Since getting my '07 Jetta 2.0T this is my understanding as well from doing some poking around. Stick with VW 502 00 and from there it's really your choice between what is on the list and what you can find locally. For most people it is Castrol 0W-30 (GC), M1 0w40, Castrol 5w40,

Last edited:
As far as "approved oils" go, I certainly see the point of using them if something big goes wrong. What are the chances of this? Who knows, honestly. Pretty slim, I would imagine.

Maybe, maybe not. We're talking about VAG here. Do you remember the whole 1.8T sludging issue of recent past?

Originally Posted By: rg200amp

2) The factory fill from VW is Castrol Syntec 5w40.

This is not correct.

rg...great reply. My reply is in no way to flame or say you're wrong, it's just some thoughts from my end. Take it for what it's worth...

As far as "approved oils" go, I certainly see the point of using them if something big goes wrong. What are the chances of this? Who knows, honestly. Pretty slim, I would imagine. However, my point is that VW 502 is not a really "stout" spec. I believe one of the biggest things is an HTHS >3.5. So, as you well know, a lot of oils fit the bill. On top of that, there are a LOT of oils out there that while not approved, are as good or better than some of the VW 502 oils in some ways. That being said, M1 0w40 and GC are two approved oils that are fantastic. I'm running a short interval of M1 TDT, and then the decision is...GC, M1 0w40, Castrol 5w40, or the 504/507 Castrol SLX, which is a 5w30, but approved. Or maybe T6 or TDT.

Funny thing is, I can get the SLX for 6.60/liter, plus minimal shipping. It's approved, a bit cheaper than off the shelf stuff if it's not on sale, so maybe I'll be "safe" and go with that. Decisions decisions...

I know what your saying.

Like all things in life, it's a personal choice to make!

Originally Posted By: Finklejag

This is not correct.

My Owners manual states the factory fill was 5w40.

My dealer service department said the factory fill is Castrol Syntec 5w40.

My dealer says VW recommends them to use Castrol Syntec 5w40.

The Castrol logo is on my oil filler cap.

I am just going off of what I have heared.

Please show proof to your statement. I will have to believe that it is true until a I have proof otherwise. I am not saying I am 100% sure. But your statement puts zero doubt in my mind.

Thanks

Well, add another available approved oil that I can find locally. Lubro Moly 0w40. Comparable to M1, maybe a bit more expensive. But I can get it two minutes from the house, proven Group IV oil that meets some good specs. Their 5w40 looks good too.

Is this your first VW? Most VW dealers don't know their head from their a$$. The guys in this forum probably know more about VW's then your typical VW service manager.

VW has a marketing agreement with Castrol, that's it. That's why it says Castrol on the oil cap. Yes, the factory fill is a 5W-40. There are plenty of other 5W-40 oils on the market besides Castrol 5W-40. Here is my FF and an UOA of the Castrol 5W-40. They have different add packs. The Castrol 5W-40 uses less calicum and more magnesium. My FF was most likely Fuchs.

Castol 5W-40

5W40UOA-1.jpg

FF Fuchs

Untitled.jpg

I've love to tell you to run an API CJ4/SM oil, but with the currnet emission system on the new VW gassers, I'd stick to a spec oil.

SAPS come into play even in a gas engine.

Dealer Castrol, M1 Ow40

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
As far as "approved oils" go, I certainly see the point of using them if something big goes wrong. What are the chances of this? Who knows, honestly. Pretty slim, I would imagine.

Maybe, maybe not. We're talking about VAG here. Do you remember the whole 1.8T sludging issue of recent past?

the whole 1.8T sludging issues were caused by people (and especially dealerships) not using synthetic oil. However, VAG was at fault because the oil requirements did have enough ambigiuty in its wording that allowed the use of 5w30 conventional oil, instead of 5w40 VW502.00 oil (at that time of specification). This was why VAG was forced to suck it up and warranty the owners who were able to cough up proof of oil changes.

Originally Posted By: Finklejag

This is not correct.

My Owners manual states the factory fill was 5w40.

My dealer service department said the factory fill is Castrol Syntec 5w40.

My dealer says VW recommends them to use Castrol Syntec 5w40.

The Castrol logo is on my oil filler cap.

I am just going off of what I have heared.

Please show proof to your statement. I will have to believe that it is true until a I have proof otherwise. I am not saying I am 100% sure. But your statement puts zero doubt in my mind.

Thanks

There was been UOA's done on the factory oil on different forums showing that an 30-weight oil was used, which suggests at the factories, the engines were possibly filled with Castol SLX Profesional LL III.

Originally Posted By: HondaMan
I've love to tell you to run an API CJ4/SM oil, but with the currnet emission system on the new VW gassers, I'd stick to a spec oil.

SAPS come into play even in a gas engine.

Dealer Castrol, M1 Ow40

API CJ-4, is low-saps and is made for diesel particulate filters.

VW 502.00 is a mid-saps oil.

food for thought.

and I use Shell Rotella T6 or Mobil 1 Turbo Diesel Truck on my VW 2.0T, which ever is cheaper AND a german-made FRAM filter

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: UG_Passat
VW 502.00 is a mid-saps oil.

Since when?

Is M1 0w-40 or GC considered mid-saps these days?

Since the last revsion of the VW502.00 specification a few years ago.

VW502.00 used to be a high-SAPS only & 5w40 oil

Can you point me to some documentation on the subject?

And again, so is M1 0w-40 and GC considered mid-saps oils these days?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back