Oil Suggestion for 2011 Jetta 2.5L

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: G35_TX
I love it how you people try to tell someone they are wrong when in fact you guys have no evidence either to prove I am wrong. Wow seriously guys, grow up.

You people? LOL!

There is evidence (UOA). You just chose to ignore it/dismiss it. I also tried to give you the logical arguments which obviously did not resonate.

On the other hand, we're still waiting for your evidence - the oil cap.

Anyway, I'm done here, too. I don't own a GTI and I don't really give a rat what it was filled with at the factory. Even if I did own one, it wouldn't have mattered in the least bit.

Enjoy your new car! I drove a 2008 GTI with DSG. Seemed fun.

UOA proves nothing but speculation. You have no clue what oil was in that car and can not prove it by UOA numbers when those numbers change from car to car. FACTS.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
I love it how you people try to tell someone they are wrong when in fact you guys have no evidence either to prove I am wrong. Wow seriously guys, grow up.

You people? LOL!

There is evidence (UOA). You just chose to ignore it/dismiss it. I also tried to give you the logical arguments which obviously did not resonate.

On the other hand, we're still waiting for your evidence - the oil cap.

Anyway, I'm done here, too. I don't own a GTI and I don't really give a rat what it was filled with at the factory. Even if I did own one, it wouldn't have mattered in the least bit.

Enjoy your new car! I drove a 2008 GTI with DSG. Seemed fun.

Just something to prove you wrong.

http://www.castrol.com/castrol/liveasset..._Dealership.pdf

"Castrol OEM Partnerships
Castrol proactively works with our OEM partners to provide sustainable value to them, their dealers and customers
with our products, programs and services. This work has led to partnerships encompassing joint engine development
programs, first fill, recommended service fill, Castrol oil filler caps, sponsorships of race teams and other areas of
collaboration. Castrol lubricants are installed at the factories for BMW, Volkswagen, Audi, Land Rover, Jaguar, Volvo
and Aston Martin, amongst others"

And from a old link that doesn't work anymore...

"http://www.castrol.com/jaguar_volvo_landrover.shtml

As you can see they are factory fill in Jaguar, Land Rover, Volvo, Aston Martin, BMW, and Komatsu. "Castrol Syntec is the Factory Fill in Volkswagen and BMW vehicles" This is a quote from an email I got from Castrol Consumer North America on Jan. 14, 2004. If you do not beleive me go to this link and "ask the expert" yourself:

http://www.castrolusa.com/expert/askTheExpert.asp"

Last edited:
UOA proves nothing but speculation. You have no clue what oil was in that car and can not prove it by UOA numbers when those numbers change from car to car. FACTS.

UOAs have their limitations, but the differences here are so drastic that they can be seen with a naked eye, even after factoring in sample error, but of course you won't see them if you refuse to see them.

FACT: Factory fill has double the amount of Calcium (about 2000 ppm vs 1000 ppm for Syntec).
FACT: Factory fill has little to no Magnesium. Syntec has about 1000 ppm of Magnesium.

These differences are too large to be attributed to lab/sample error.

These facts cannot prove what the factory fill is, but they can prove what it is not. And Castrol Syntec it is not.

Just something to prove you wrong.

http://www.castrol.com/castrol/liveasset..._Dealership.pdf

"Castrol OEM Partnerships
Castrol proactively works with our OEM partners to provide sustainable value to them, their dealers and customers
with our products, programs and services. This work has led to partnerships encompassing joint engine development
programs, first fill, recommended service fill, Castrol oil filler caps, sponsorships of race teams and other areas of
collaboration. Castrol lubricants are installed at the factories for BMW, Volkswagen, Audi, Land Rover, Jaguar, Volvo
and Aston Martin, amongst others"

How does that prove me wrong? I never said it was not Castrol. I said it was not SYNTEC.

Quote:

And from a old link that doesn't work anymore...

"http://www.castrol.com/jaguar_volvo_landrover.shtml

That's your proof? Posting a link that does not work? That's hilarious.

Quote:

As you can see they are factory fill in Jaguar, Land Rover, Volvo, Aston Martin, BMW, and Komatsu. "Castrol Syntec is the Factory Fill in Volkswagen and BMW vehicles" This is a quote from an email I got from Castrol Consumer North America on Jan. 14, 2004.

What's today's date? Why should I believe that 7 years later it's still the same? How do I know that it includes all Volkswagen vehicles, specifically a 2011 GTI made in Germany?

Quote:

If you do not beleive me go to this link and "ask the expert" yourself:

Why not ask the VAG factory in Germany instead? Castrol USA is a joke. Their PDS info is garbage. Why should I trust their customer support? What is the likelihood they actually know what oil is being used in a VAG factory in Germany?

Maybe it's not Syntec as they probably don't have that available over there. I have been told it might be Castrol SLX Professional 5w40. I have contacted Castrol to ask them what they say is in my car from the factory. Either way, it's a Castrol product. Not what that other guy said. Castrol know more than you do.

Last edited:
052268-VOA-Castrol-SLX-Professional-OE-Report-web.png
Right out of the bottle for SLX.

Then this one after around 3500 miles.

055876-UOA-Castrol-SLX-Professional-OE-Report-web.png

Last edited:
Castrol SLX is SYNTEC but it doesn't say it on the bottles.

Well, whatever is inside these bottles is certainly not the same as in Syntec bottles on US store shelves.

Quote:
P1070313.JPG

Yup. Those specs clearly show how different it is from North American Syntec 5w-40. I'm glad we're on the same page now.

For example, MB 229.51 is a diesel oil spec. It's permitted for use in gasoline engines in Europe, but not in gasoline engines in the US due to our issues with fuel quality.

We have two of them. A 2008 VW Rabbit and a 2010 VW Golf.....both with the 2.5L.

We have been using Syntec 5w40 for the last couple of years, but recently, we switched to M1 0w40....and like it better.

After lots of reading, I'll be going to M1 0w40. I've got some M1 TDT in there now, coming out at 5k, and in goes the 0w40 and M1 filter.

Where are you finding a filter? The only one I can find is the OEM one.
frown.gif

the 2.5L uses a different filter from the CCTA/CBFA engine, very little aftermarket support for the oil filter. It's a Mann filter in either Mann packaging (W719/45) for VAG packaging (06J115403C)

the 2.5L filter can be bought at Wal-Mart for about $9, FRAM CH9911

Originally Posted By: rg200amp
3) This is for you Quattro Pete
grin.gif
:
The Jetta's and there engines are built in NORTH America!
Sooooo. Since the owners manual states they factory fill with 5w40. And that VW has a MAJOR agreement/ad contract with Castrol. AND Syntec is a VW 502 oil that is crazy easy to get in N America. AND that the dealer said it was Syntec.

For the Jetta 2.5 built in Mexico, this is a lot more believable. It would be cool to have the factory fill analyzed to see if the add pack differs from Syntec 5w-40 though.

My previous comments were directed at G35_TX and his GTI.

The final point of assembly is Puebla, Mexico. THis does not mean everything comes from mexico. Engine can be assembled in Germany for instance. Transmission can be japanese (Tiptronic) or argentina (which was the case of the 02J tranny in my old MK4 Golf TDI)...

Originally Posted By: UG_Passat
Originally Posted By: rg200amp
3) This is for you Quattro Pete
grin.gif
:
The Jetta's and there engines are built in NORTH America!
Sooooo. Since the owners manual states they factory fill with 5w40. And that VW has a MAJOR agreement/ad contract with Castrol. AND Syntec is a VW 502 oil that is crazy easy to get in N America. AND that the dealer said it was Syntec.

For the Jetta 2.5 built in Mexico, this is a lot more believable. It would be cool to have the factory fill analyzed to see if the add pack differs from Syntec 5w-40 though.

My previous comments were directed at G35_TX and his GTI.

The final point of assembly is Puebla, Mexico. THis does not mean everything comes from mexico. Engine can be assembled in Germany for instance. Transmission can be japanese (Tiptronic) or argentina (which was the case of the 02J tranny in my old MK4 Golf TDI)...

As far as I know, the 2.5 liter VW engine is only manufactured in Mexico.

Originally Posted By: BTLew81
Advanced Auto, Auto Zone, Pep Boys, NAPA

They aren't available per them for my car at least.
smirk.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back