Justice Brother's Oil Treatment.......

Status
Not open for further replies.
Clickety Click goes the stupid pontiac 2.2 Ecotec... It's my Wife's car... I hate that thing. It's a nickel and dime eating hunk of metal. I have other cars with equi-miles (135K) and they havn't been so crummy. I've kept the maintenence on this car the same as with all of mine... Mine have been angels. Unless someone didn't do all the maint on it right before I started in with it at 50K miles, I'd say we got a "Monday Special". Anyway... at a cold start, this little bugger always has a minor lifter click that goes away after a few minutes... it seems to run OK. Last oil change, I did a Gunk High Mileage motor flush (typical for me at every 10K) and put some fresh oil in it... and What the heck... a can of Justice Bros Oil treatment... It clicks less now... and still runs pretty well. The longer we've gone on this OCI, the less it clicks. I wonder what the heck this stuff is. It's not documented where I can find it... but I did find this on their website... and I quote.

-------------------------
Q: Does Justice Brother's manufacturer anything to take the place of the lack of ZDDP in motor oil?

A: Yes. Justice Brothers Engine Treatment, Oil Treatment, Oil Treatment Extra, Engine Tune-Up and Heavy Duty Vehicle Lubrication Additive all provide protection for motor oils lacking ZDDP. In fact, all of our Justice Brothers additives mentioned here, exceed the protection of ZDDP in motor oil.

------------

Ok, so it's better than ZDDP for older cars.... but what the heck is it? and does it acutally do anything? it seems to have done an ok job for me... 2 of my cars have experienced a can of it. Neither have had adverse effects... both have seen positive or neutral results. It was added at the top of an oil change, and It's supposed to treat the metal, not the oil... UMMM.. ok. and you only have to add it once every 10K miles. Ummm... ok.

What the heck is this stuff? I love old cars that I feel safe "Guinea Pigging" with.

Last edited:
Was the Oil Treatment thick like honey? If so, it is mainly bright stock, a very heavy lubricating oil. It just thickens the oil, and if that helps, you'd be better off buying a thicker oil for that engine in the first place without the added cost of the Treatment. The added ZDDP is more for marketing than any benefit for the engine.

If it's an older Ecotec....2002/2003....you could be having timing chain issues. Early Eco's occassionally did, not later ones.

Originally Posted By: addyguy
If it's an older Ecotec....2002/2003....you could be having timing chain issues. Early Eco's occassionally did, not later ones.

+1!! 2000s and 2001s too. PO of a otherwise solid 2000 lost the chain at 130K; bent valve, smacked pistons; the works. Boring story, I managed to buy it for $300 and for a semi-DIY rebuild, will have a decent car for a friend that needs one.

Here's a link with a decent ending
http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=166658

Last edited:
Well, It's a bit thick, but not dreadfully so. It does not smell of solvents (like MMO or Rislone)... and it does keep a film on the can once you've poured it.

The silly car has been running like a top lately, and there's been no weird noises as of late. Starts right up, runs ok, good mileage (high end of what you should expect)...

I still hate that car. That silly cartridge oil filter is a major annoyance. What's wrong with the "classic can"?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back