Pennzoil Platinum

Status
Not open for further replies.
I see a lot of people on here saying QSUD is the best bargain synthetic, I think its like $20 at walmart. I can't speak professionally just saying it is cheaper than PP from what I've seen and supposed to be pretty stout

PP is the best thing since sliced bread!
QSUD is a close second, but pails in comparison to platinum's amazing awesomeness

Lots of good options if you shop sales. PP is one of them. I bought a couple 5qt jugs of Castrol Edge for $21 each last week.

Originally Posted By: 05Blazer
Is Pennzoil Platinum still the best buy for an over the counter durable oil?

Its good oil. 'Best buy' depends on what its priced against, and what the price difference is. Also depends on how significant that difference is to you.

Last summer my WM was selling it at prices that undercut (by a lot) every other synthetic they sold, making it hands down the best buy and I stocked a bit of it.

On my most recent trip to the WM oil aisle (a curiosity only one as I'm not looking to increase my stash any right now), it would have been a much tougher choice as it was priced within a few bucks (over or under) several other synthetics that were all rolled back. These were from the brands WM usually does a dino rollback on: Valvoline, QS, Castrol, and Pennzoil.

I held off for now, though it was tough to resist picking up some QS UD to try out next winter, as the price was good and its an oil I'd like to try out (I have a preference between QS and Pennzoils that is close enough for a coin toss, or slight difference in price, to decide).

-Spyder

QSUD meets all the same specs as PP and it's $5 cheaper. platinum advertises its cleaning abilities while QSUD goes for high temperature protection and reduced oil breakdown. so unless you feel like your engine is dirty or sludged i would say QSUD is a better bet and may even be the better oil.

I've been using it exclusively in my wife's malibu for 3 years now with a 6 month 10 k oci, and see no reason to stop using it. I have also used it in my cherokee and off and on in my new vehicle. I have also used mobil 1, Edge, QS syn, Valvoline syn and amsoil. Aside from the Amsoil the PP keeps my engine the quietest and smoothest. I was planning to try the new Amsoil OE but decided to stick with the PP. If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

In Canada PP used to go on sale at Walmart a lot, for around $20 per 4.4L jug, making it an amazing bargain! But they haven't had those sales here in a very long time, and now a 5L jug of PP at Walmart costs $39.97, while strangely enough they sell the 5L jugs of Ultra for $36.88! I don't understand that logic at all, Ultra is their best oil.

Walmart is known for their weirdo pricing, Valvoline Synpower is less than M1 in quart bottle but higher in 5-qt jug, and another weird pricing I found at my local Walmart was Valvoline Synpower in quart bottle is cheaper than with 5-qt jug, less than $5/qt in quart bottle and more than $25 for 5-qt jug. Shopping for oil at Walmart, you need to compare pricing carefully.

Originally Posted By: mac9128
I see a lot of people on here saying QSUD is the best bargain synthetic, I think its like $20 at walmart. I can't speak professionally just saying it is cheaper than PP from what I've seen and supposed to be pretty stout

Mobil's new Super Synthetic is $19.50 at Walmart and I think it will beat Quaker State UD silly, and I am a QS fan.

Originally Posted By: mac9128
I see a lot of people on here saying QSUD is the best bargain synthetic, I think its like $20 at walmart.

Actually, right now it is $17.00 with the instant coupon tag on the bottle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back