Tightening the crank bolt

Status
Not open for further replies.
I used the following method to loosen the bolt on the harmonic balancer. Any ideas how to tighten it back to 140 lb-ft?
Simply use an impact wrench?

crankpulleybolt.jpg

Most FWD cars I've owned with a balancer like that have some sort of factory tool...usually bolts into the balancer itself with some M6 bolts...that tool will hold the crank from moving while you use a proper torque wrench to tighten the nut.

And you want the torque on this to be correct...

Got a service manual? It should describe exactly the procedure...and the tool. I have made a few out of steel bar stock just to hold the crankshaft pulley/balancer...If you can't see how to make one, you could pull the starter out and use a tool (prybar or big screwdriver) to hold the ring gear against the torque of tightening the pulley...

Last edited:
I presume you have an automatic trans? A manual you can put in 5th gear then stand on the brakes.

You can usually jam something in the flywheel/flexplate teeth while you torque that huge nut.

Astro, i do have the manual, but i can't seem to find much information on it. I will continue looking, though.

eljefino, yes, it's an automatic tranny. The vehicle is 1994 Nissan Quest.

Don't use an impact!

Get the proper counterhold tool, a big torque wrench & appropriate socket. You don't want to bollocks up this bolt, do it properly the first & only time.

To add to what astro said, without an impact, sometimes the cheapest and easiest way to hold a pulley is with a strap wrench. Sears has them as do some of the home improvement stores. And they look like this (I like the Klein one) http://www.sears.com/shc/s/search_10153_12605?keyword=strap+wrench. the strap wrench will hold quite a bit of torque and not damage the pulley. Although if you have to go to 140 ft-lbs that's a lot to hold but the wrench should do it.

The cheapest and surest way is to remove the usually plastic cover around the flexplate and wedge a heavy screw driver or pry bar in the teeth on the flex plate circumference the starter engages with. You will have a lot of leverage there and it will really hold the crank from turning.

mechanicx, i have a strap wrench with a rubber strap, but i didn't think it will work, because the torque is a little too much.

Between, the bolt should be tightened to 123- 132 lb-ft, not the 140lb-ft i earlier stated. I mis-stated it. I will remove one of the belts and try the strap wrench. Also, sorry about my ignorance, but around where will i find this flexplate. I am a leaner in the field of automotive repair.

Scurvy, thanks for the advice. Using the impact wrench didn't seem like a good idea to me, either. No way to control how much torque is being applied.

The flex plate is what auto transmission cars have where the flywheel is on a manual transmission car. The flexplate is much thinner than a standard flywheel and serves to connect crankshaft to torque converter.

The ring gear goes around either the flexplate or the flywheel and is engaged by the starter. You'll find them on the opposite end of the engine from the crank pulley you're trying to tighten....remove the starter motor and you'll see the ring gear.

Personally, the best choice is the factory counterhold tool, but sounds like you're in a pinch or on a tight budget...just make sure you get a good solid purchase on that ring gear...if the tool slips while tightening and you ding up the ring gear or bellhousing, you could be looking at an expensive repair...

Check your local NAPA or other parts stores...they often have specialty tools that you can rent, including torque wrenches.

Last edited:
The strap wrench might hold it if you get it set right, but it might slip especially if it is a flimsy one. You could give it a try. The flexplate inspection cover is at the bottom of the transmission next to the oil pan where it interfaces with the engine. Most automatic transmission have one and I think the Quest does but I can't remember for certain.

Originally Posted By: sentra
mechanicx, i have a strap wrench with a rubber strap, but i didn't think it will work, because the torque is a little too much.

Between, the bolt should be tightened to 123- 132 lb-ft, not the 140lb-ft i earlier stated. I mis-stated it. I will remove one of the belts and try the strap wrench. Also, sorry about my ignorance, but around where will i find this flexplate. I am a leaner in the field of automotive repair.

Scurvy, thanks for the advice. Using the impact wrench didn't seem like a good idea to me, either. No way to control how much torque is being applied.

Strap wrench will not work. That is just asking for trouble with that much torque.

The flexplate will be behind a cover, usually plastic. This will be located right where the engine meets the transmission around the bottom of it. Did you use a pulley installer to seat the puller first and now just trying to tighten the bolt? I always use the puller installer to put the pulley on because if you try doing it with the bolt you can strip the bolt or worse the crank and be in big trouble. You can rent a pulley installer form advance for free.

This is one thing you don't want to mess up. If you mess the crank up you will be pulling the engine.

No strap wrench. You might check your local AP store for a free loaner to lock the crank. Use a torque wrench. Like other have said, do it once correcly so you don't mess it up.

I'd use and have used an impact, without worries.

I'd be willing to bet that's what the majority of shops are doing.

Ok, another correction: the torque required is 90-98 ft. lbs. I had earlier cited the Nm figure as ft. lbs.

Anyway, i just tried the strap wrench method, and it won't work. Getting a good leverage is difficult and the strap slips when applied force is increased. For the time being, i am reluctant to use the flexplate method.

I have a torque wrench, just don't have the speciality tool, which i don't even know exists. However, i think there must be one. I have seen a few for Hondas. A couple of parts stores locally have nothing that i can use. A call to the dealership didn't get me anywhere, either.

The tool will have to be ordered from the US, which will take time to arrive.

If you don't want to jam something in the flex plate (and why not) you can pull a spark plug and put rope in the cylinder.

I would rather do the flex plate thing.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
If you don't want to jam something in the flex plate (and why not) you can pull a spark plug and put rope in the cylinder.

Don't use a rope, if not done right a piece of it can come apart and get stuck in there.

The flex plate is the easiest way to hold it. If a screwdriver won't work than you can rotate the flex plate until you see one of the bolts that hold it on and put a wrench on the bolt and rotate until the wrench wedges in. This will hold it.

Scott, i didn't even have to use a pulley puller to remove the pulley. Before i was about to install the puller onto the pulley to remove it, it decided to pull it with my hands, and it came off with a little effort. I am pretty sure that the pulley has seated well.

The pulley does have some holes in it on the outer edge. A small screw driver fits the two on the inner side, but that doesn't offer much resistance.

I spoke to another dealer, and he asked me to call back in the morning when their mechanics are in.

ACCompressorbeltnoton.jpg

Originally Posted By: eljefino

Will try the flex plate method tomorrow.

Don't know if this will work for you, but to tighten the crank bolt on my Forester I wrapped the pulley with a piece of the old timing belt (for protection) and used a chain wrench. It worked great.
smile.gif
I did this after trying a regular strap wrench, which did not provide enough torque.

An impact will work just fine.
How many times are you going to do this on your car?

You don't have to have the gun set on full, you know.
Normal civilian air guns are not that powerful. See what yours is rated at @ whatever air pressure. Simply turn the dial down a bit, if necessary.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back