Tightening the crank bolt

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yep that is what a majority of mechanics do, just hit it on with an impact. I'm not saying it is the perfect way and I understand these bolts can break if over tightened. You just have to know how much torque your impact delivers at each setting. For example a typical 1/2" impact might deliver ~80-100 ft lbs when set at 1 or 2 level. Afterall the factory assembled these by the 10's of thousand using a calibrated air tool.

Otherwise you'll probably have to hold the crank at the flexplate. If I had known you already ahd the drive belts on and didn't have a really good strap wrench I would've just suggested holding the flexplate route.

A guy in this thread managed to lock his pulley using a ratcheting tie down:

http://www.clubfrontier.org/forums/f8/how-loosening-tightening-crankshaft-pulley-bolt-69012/
31045d1300402954-how-loosening-tightening-crankshaft-pulley-bolt-tiedown5.jpg

Guys, today, i tried to tighten the bolt using a nylon rope. I threaded one end through the hole in the pulley and tied it there while the other end was tied to the generator adjustment bolt bracket. After applying some force, the rope broke. I can't think of a place where i can find thin yet strong rope. Any ideas?

After the rope method failed, i tried to use a wood contraption. That initialy didn't work due to space issues, but i will look into it further tomorrow.

Between, if were to tighten the bolt as tight as possible, can i drive it at 10km/h to my mechanic 2-3 km away?

I have having trouble locating the flex plate. I think i may be hidden behind something that is not a plastic cover.

This tie-down method looks interesting; worth exploring.

It might not have a removal flexplate cover. I looked at a diagram the other day for the Quest and it didn't look like there's one. Does your strap wrench have no holding ability? I know I have used a strap wrench in the past and if it is set right it would hold about the amount of torque you need.I think you would be able to drive it a short distance to a shop if you snug the bolt as tight as you can. The engine should spin clockwise so it won't be working the bolt loose too much.

The flex late could be located behind a tin, aluminum, or plastic cover. It will be on the bottom, where the engine and transmission meet. It's generally thin material.

edit: failing that, do you have an impact? If so, what brand?

Last edited:
Instead of your nylon rope, you could have a hardware store make up a short section of wire rope/cable with a hook on one end. You need to devise a way to attach the unfinished end that goes through the pulley (vice grips?).

I have so many ideas that could be fabricated with simply shop tools, but I imagine you don't have the facilities. The hole in the pulley would be used.

Here's another crazy one. I wonder if a stout hose clamp would grip the pulley secure enough? The worm screw part would provide a "perch" to grab a pry bar of some sort wedged somewhere.

FYI, I wonder if the rope/cable/tie strap ideas cause sideway force that might hinder pulley seating/tightening. Probably not.

Originally Posted By: mechtech2
An impact will work just fine.
How many times are you going to do this on your car?

You don't have to have the gun set on full, you know.
Normal civilian air guns are not that powerful. See what yours is rated at @ whatever air pressure. Simply turn the dial down a bit, if necessary.

Exactly. Straps, ropes, chains, etc. must be for those who don't have compressed air and an impact gun. Hit it a couple times with an impact, and move on....
cool.gif

This might be completely crazy but aren't most of the crank bolt would "tighten" on their "own". If the engine rotation is in the "appropriate" direction, they will not loosen on their own.

It is guaranteed that most professional mechanic will NOT be using torque wrench on it.

If you are looking for about 100 ft-lb of torque, pick up the cheap electric impact for under $40 from HF. If you let it hammer for 5-10 seconds, it will do at least 100 ft-lb.

- Vikas

I slowly drove it to a mechanic this morning who tightened the bolt for me. I didn't try any of the methods suggested yesterday, because i got caught up in fixing other issues that kept cropping up. I am grateful, though.

The only remaining problem now is the power steering squeal. I have started another thread for that.

Originally Posted By: sentra
I slowly drove it to a mechanic this morning who tightened the bolt for me. I didn't try any of the methods suggested yesterday, because i got caught up in fixing other issues that kept cropping up. I am grateful, though.

The only remaining problem now is the power steering squeal. I have started another thread for that.

Did you see or did he tell you how he tightened it?

I'm also curious how the mechanic did it.

If I couldn't find the proper holding tool, I'd have bought a 100ft/lb torque stick and used an impact. When used properly those things work well enough.

First, sorry about the delay in replying. I had been busy with a few things.

I informed him about the torque that i wanted the bolt tightened. Before using an air impact wrench to give the bolt 2-3 hits, he bleed some air from the air hose and said that it's good enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back