Couple of maintenance Questions Chevy 6.0

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Gebo

Are there block coolant drain plugs? How do I drain my coolant? I know at the radiator petcock (I guess it has one)

How do I know which auto transmission I have in my Chevy Express 3500? Owner's manual shows I could have one of three. If I want to change my AT fluid, since there is no drain in pan, how do I do this?

Lastly, what is the proper sequence for bleeding the brake system. Do I start right rear, left rear, right front, left front or what?

a) if it's the same as on my 02 LS1 theres a drain above the starter that takes a 5/16" allen bit. another is a big one in front of motor driver side, takes a 16mm allen key if you can find one.

b) either look up by vin, or crawl under and look for tag on trans. you drop the whole pan to remove atf fluid. if your doing the work yourself, drop the pan, clean the pan, replace atf filter, reinstall pan and refill, pull atf cooler return hose at radiator then idle engine in drive to pump atf fluid thru tq converter and radiator into bucket. this will get the remaining fluid out of the tq converter and cooler which is a significant amount. use a piece of 3/8 vinyl tubing to run from cooler return nipple to a bucket, when you start to see air bubbles being pumped stop and refill trans with a couple qts. stop when fluid pumped out becomes bright clean red. you will need ~12 qts of atf.

c) the method that is regurgitated is farthest caliper first, then next farthest, so rr, lr, rf, lf. but it doesn't matter, you flush till you get clean fluid out each caliper bleeder regardless whichever order you do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back