Cleaning Plastic Exterior Trim

Status
Not open for further replies.
what's a good product to use to get plastic trim pieces looking shiny and new again? would armor all work when pitted against the elements each and every day? or is there something better?

also i found out recently never to wax black plastic. it looks awesome right after the detail but the next day it looks faded and scratched up lol
whistle.gif

303 Aerospace is the best exterior/interior trim, plastic, tire, RV roof product I've ever used.

ArmorAll is fine if applied consistently, but I found out the hard way that once an area deteriorates from UV exposure, it cannot be restored with ArmorAll. Any attempts will just result in a chalky, ugly piece of trim.

I have not tried 303, but it seems to be highly recommended.

When the plastic has faded from years in the sun, Penetrol does a pretty fine job IMO.

Bear in mind that this photo was applied in the middle of a 100F day, full sun, 4 months ago on an unprepared surface that has been generating compost for 15 years, as a "I wonder if that will work?"...Plastic is injection molded, and somewhat swirly even new.

IMG_2733.jpg

I've used the stuff to mask delaminating clear coat on metallic paint with pretty good effect also.

Originally Posted By: dgee
303 Aerospace is the best exterior/interior trim, plastic, tire, RV roof product I've ever used.

Agree with all except for tires. 303 attracts too much dust and dirt to use on tires. The best tire dressing I've ever used is Stoner's More Shine Less Time....

where's the best place to buy 303 and penetrol? i'm going to buy both and do an official BITOG test for you guys to settle this debate
cheers3.gif

Originally Posted By: 2Fast4U
Back to Black works great.
Don't waste you money on 303 (um, snakeoil).

I hope this is a joke,

back to black is one of the lamest products i have tried in the trim category - a few drives in the rain, and back to "not black"!
- 303 is a far superior product, although I think it has its strength more in preserving and maintaining/protecting than in "rejuvenation".

Black Wow, although pricey works pretty good, lasts longer than almost all other OTC products, and does bring stuff looking like new.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: jmsjags
where's the best place to buy 303 and penetrol? i'm going to buy both and do an official BITOG test for you guys to settle this debate
cheers3.gif

Should get penetrol at a hardware store...it's a paint additive, that advertises as "rejuvenating" plastic.

I agree that "Back-to-Black is a substandard product at best.

I bought a bottle and used the whole thing several years ago based upon recomendations of others and I couldn't beleive people actually like this stuff.

Originally Posted By: jmsjags
what's a good product to use to get plastic trim pieces looking shiny and new again? would armor all work when pitted against the elements each and every day? or is there something better?

also i found out recently never to wax black plastic. it looks awesome right after the detail but the next day it looks faded and scratched up lol
whistle.gif

What type of plastic are you trying to rejuvenate???

If they're plastic trim pieces such as body side moldings and bumper facias, sometimes the only way to make them look better is to repaint/replace them.

Last edited:
I've been using Ultima Tire & Trim Guard Plus lately and really like the product, problem is it's expensive. 303 is good stuff, but doesn't last all that long.

Originally Posted By: Char Baby
If they're plastic trim pieces such as body side moldings and bumper facias, sometimes the only way to make them look better is to repaint/replace them.

Pretty much that's what the penetrol does. Soaks into the powdery plastic, taking away the fadedness and adding a shine.

Only tried it because the faded plastic looked so gross that I was thinking of visiting a wreckers for replacements.

I've used 303 on most any black rubber/plastic trims/hoses on the now 20 year old Civic since purchasing after 230,000+ miles on it.

The 303 got most plastic/rubber back to looking within 20%-25% like-new at least. Sometimes you need to give it several treatments, especially on old/uncared for trims etc. It will definitely help.

FWIW, I found mine locally at an ACE Hardware store for about $15 for the little 16oz bottle(might be the 32 ounce, can't recall this late/early).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back