04 Silverado 2500 HD Gas

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: ls1mike
The HP tuner data on my truck reads as follows.

2080 at 60.
2260 at 70.

I have not data logged anything about 70. I may have to try it.

You should recheck those readings.
2080 X 7/6 = 2427 rpm, not 2260. Something definitely wrong with your data.

Originally Posted By: addyguy
That's a lot of rpm for a big V-8 - hope he maintains it well!

That engine speed will also cause it to suck gas probably to the tune of 10-12 mpg's....ouch!

Bawhaa...LOL LOL. I actually spit my beer out when I read that. These LSx motors are a 6 bolt main. That is not a lot of RPM for a LSx based V-8. 3000 RPM is nothing and they make their real power for towing up above 3000 RPM. This motor has been in production since 1999. Plenty of 200,000 plus mile 6.0 GM trucks still towing and working. Sometimes I think this is the board that time forgot.

I get about 15 to 16 on the Highway. 12 mpg in town and about 10 to 12 mpg towing, with the 4L80E. The new 6 speeds do better.
Are all the LSx engines 6 bolt mains or just the 6.0?

Originally Posted By: xxch4osxx

That engine speed will also cause it to suck gas probably to the tune of 10-12 mpg's....ouch!

Bawhaa...LOL LOL. I actually spit my beer out when I read that. These LSx motors are a 6 bolt main. That is not a lot of RPM for a LSx based V-8. 3000 RPM is nothing and they make their real power for towing up above 3000 RPM. This motor has been in production since 1999. Plenty of 200,000 plus mile 6.0 GM trucks still towing and working. Sometimes I think this is the board that time forgot.

I get about 15 to 16 on the Highway. 12 mpg in town and about 10 to 12 mpg towing, with the 4L80E. The new 6 speeds do better.

All of them.

Originally Posted By: George7941
The HP tuner data on my truck reads as follows.

2080 at 60.
2260 at 70.

I have not data logged anything about 70. I may have to try it.

You should recheck those readings.
2080 X 7/6 = 2427 rpm, not 2260. Something definitely wrong with your data.

You are not taking into account .75 overdrive. Overkill is right. Even if my HP tuners is wrong. Your math is, as I see it, is 1 to 1.

Originally Posted By: xxch4osxx

All of them.
Oh, ok, thats good to know that my 4.8 has a really strong bottom end! I didn't know they built them that strong.

You are not taking into account .75 overdrive. Overkill is right. Even if my HP tuners is wrong. Your math is, as I see it, is 1 to 1.

Mikey, let me simplify things. Assuming OD and TCC lockup for the purposes of our discussion:
If truck speed is doubled then engine rpm is doubled. Say a truck revs at 2000 rpm at 50mph, then the same truck will rev at 4000rpm at 100mph, irrespective of final drive ratio.
Similarly, going from 60mph to 80mph is a 1/3rd (33 1/3%)increase in speed and therefore rpm will also increase by exactly a third. This applies to all vehicles, no matter what the final drive ratio is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back