How many qt of oil in 2004 2500hd

Hello, I brought a 2004 Chevy 2500HD 6.0 gas v8. After oil change, i notice that the oil pressure began to fluctuate. I look at dip stick and it is full with 5 qt of oil. Yesterday i look at Mobil 1 web and Amsoil web and input the vehicle description, both site suggest that for 2004 2500hd, it require 6 qt of oil. Is that right. How many qt of oil do everyone use.?

If it is 6qt, then my dip stick is not the original for this truck. Maybe i don't have problems with my o ring pickup or oil pressure sensor after all and that would be f.ing funny.

Thank you for any info.

Mobile1 site: Mobile 1
Amsoil site Amsoil for 2500hd

Hello, I brought a 2004 Chevy 2500HD 6.0 gas v8. After oil change, i notice that the oil pressure began to fluctuate. I look at dip stick and it is full with 5 qt of oil. Yesterday i look at Mobil 1 web and Amsoil web and input the vehicle description, both site suggest that for 2004 2500hd, it require 6 qt of oil. Is that right. How many qt of oil do everyone use.?

If it is 6qt, then my dip stick is not the original for this truck. Maybe i don't have problems with my o ring pickup or oil pressure sensor after all and that would be f.ing funny.

Thank you for any info.

What does your owners manual say?

Definitely not the oil as that is still plenty to pump. You likely have a pickup tube o ring issue. If that trucks a 2wd changing it will be easier. I have the same 6.0 and it takes 6 quarts though i overfill it by a quart to 7 and have never had an issue. If the stick reads full at 5 then that's odd.

Thank you everyone for the quick respond. The truck have 200,000 miles. I think it is a 6000cc LQ4 according to vin history check. The owner manual say 6qt. Dumb of me for not looking at the manual. My oil dipstick part number 12574888 which was imprinted on the dipstick. Is that same with everyone else. The total length is 33.5. If part number are the same, then what may cause the oil tank to be fill full with only 5qt. of oil ? But I will do as everyone suggested to just fill tank with 6qt of oil.

Thanks

Last edited:
Thank you everyone for the quick respond. The truck have 200,000 miles. I think it is a 6000cc LQ4 according to vin history check. The owner manual say 6qt. Dumb of me for not looking at the manual. My oil dipstick part number 12574888 which was imprinted on the dipstick. Is that same with everyone else. The total length is 33.5. If part number are the same, then what may cause the oil tank to be fill full with only 5qt. of oil ? But I will do as everyone suggested to just fill tank with 6qt of oil.

Thanks
Not sure that'll fix it. Definitely sounds like a pickup tube o ring. 5 quarts is plenty to pump. I've taken my lq4 6.0 to the low oil warning message and have never had fluctuating oil pressure.

Thanks
Pretty sure that's the right stick, Also fits 5.3L/4.8L powered GMT800's. The Tube has to match though.

Before you take your engine apart, in my high mileage 01 suburban I had fluctuating oil pressure after an oil change. On a whim I replaced the acdelco filter with a different brand it solved the problem. No further issues while I owned it.

I have not install the oil pressure gauge. I am using Fram tough guard right now. I will try using different brand of oil filter and add additional 1qt of oil. Hopefully that fix the problem.

Thank you all

I have not install the oil pressure gauge. I am using Fram tough guard right now. I will try using different brand of oil filter and add additional 1qt of oil. Hopefully that fix the problem.

Thank you all
I've used several dozens of Fram tough guard filters. Never had fluctuating pressure in my 5.3, 5.7, and 6.0. Could just be a defective one but that's a guess. Couldn't hurt to change it for something else though. Would be great if it did.

Before you take your engine apart, in my high mileage 01 suburban I had fluctuating oil pressure after an oil change. On a whim I replaced the acdelco filter with a different brand it solved the problem. No further issues while I owned it.

I work on more LSx engines than most.....Never have I had a problem with PF46E or PF48E filters.

Thank you for any info.

Not sure if you got your answer. I work at a Carquest, this is directly from my parts lookup:

API - SAE 5W-30
Measurement:6.00 qt
Fitment:
Sub Model:Base,LS,LT,WT | Country Sold:United States | Engine:6.0L V8 364cid 5967cc
Note:6.0L Eng, w/Filter, Use oil that meets GM Standard GM6094M. For areas of extreme cold, where temperatures fall below -20Deg.F (-29Deg.C), it is recommended a SAE 5W-30 synthetic oil or a SAE 10W-30 oil. Both will provide easier cold starting and better protection for your engine at extremely low temperatures.

Back