tire ratings question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Current OEM tire is P225/60-17 H, UTQG A/A. Tires in this size and rating are few. One choice is T speed, UTQG A/A or H speed, UTQG A/B. Does speed rating trump the B temp or the other way around? Which is the better choice? Car is our daily driver. Thanks.

I'd personally go with higher speed rating since it signifies a better constructed tire.

But if you want a tire that's both H-rated and UTQG A/A rated in that size, look at Kumho Solus KH16.

Usually traction and temperature of H-speed tires are A and A, T-speed tires are A and B.

Which T-speed tires are A and A and H-speed tires are A and B ?

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
H-speed tires are A and B ?

Plenty of them shown on TireRack, including:

- Goodyear Assurance Comfortread Touring
- Goodyear Assurance TripleTred
- Firestone Precision Touring
- BFGoodrich Radial T/A Spec
- Firestone FR710

H rated is the Precision Touring, T rated is the Michelin LX4. Kumho KH16 is a choice but ratings are mixed, with "not too good" in wet and snow the problem for me. I need that here in central Missouri.

In that case, I'd pick an H speed-rated tire with the best reviews, and not worry too much about the B-temp rating.

You probably don't drive at 130 mph for sustained periods of time anyway, where the temp rating comes into play. Another circumstance where the temp rating would matter is if you were to run the tire under-inflated, so you need to keep an eye on your tire pressure.

Just be advised the trend these days is tire retailers will only replace your tires with the same thing that is on there factory( i.e. speed rating and size ). You might run into problems trying to find a place to install something different. You might have to take the rims off and take those in to get a different tire put on. Some places wouldn't even do it then unless it was just the rims so they couldn't see what tire size/speed rating was on there. It has become very difficult these days to alter your OE tire size/speed rating.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
H-speed tires are A and B ?

Plenty of them shown on TireRack....

This makes no sense.

UTQG temperature ratings are essentially a step speed test. If yu pass an "A" level, then the speed rating should be fixed - and while it has been a while since I looked at this, I think ALL A rated tires would be at least H rated.

What I suspect is that either the tire manufacturer OR Tire Rack is simplifying the UTQG ratings for the entire line. If Tire Rack is doing it, it's a simple mistake. If the tire manufacturer is doing it, it's just confusing, but not illegal.

I was confused about the H speed, UTQG A/B. that's why I asked. The Firestone website shows the Precision Touring as noted. One reason I am interested in this tire is that tire shop was the only 1 of 5 shops (including the Nissan dealer) that told me I should NOT drop down a speed rating. He was more interested in the proper tire than just making a sale. The other dealers did not care about the OEM tire ratings. Thanks again.

I am the original poster. Why not use this tire? There are more than one tire and brand on TireRack with the H speed, A/A rating.

Like I said, I think this is just a matter of someone simplifying something un-necessarily and it's creating confusion.

H speed rated is H speed rated! It's good!

CapriRacer-Thank you. I think I will get the Firestone Precision Touring. I do not want to buy online in case there are problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back