Oil Recommendations - Supercharged 2006 Miata MX-5

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey, BITOG. Been awhile.

Last oil recommendation is working great, so I'm back with a new/used car to address. The help on the Buick was much appreciated!

The car: 2006 Mazda Miata MX-5 5 speed m/t car. 17,000 miles and in good working condition. Presently running sellers oil which was Valvoline 0w20 dino oil he changed every 5k.
I'm installing a Flyin' Miata (Cosworth) intercooled supercharger system with re-flashed ecu by Dynotronics.

Usage: Street leadfoot/twisties. No racing. No AutoX.

This is an NC series (2006+) car with the 2.0L engine - so totally different engine design than the ubiquitous 1.6L and 1.8L Miata's. No especially demanding oil requirements that I know of, but thought it best to ask versus assume.

I've used the search tool which is not my friend and found only info on S/C NA and NB series Miatae (1990 - 2005).

Flyin' Miata kit WHP according to dyno testing by FM should go from 140+/- stock to 240+/- with the blower. I will add an appropriate oil cooler as is suggested when S/C these engines.

I want to run a synth oil in the car. Recommendations of Brands/weights appreciated. I would feel safer running a bit heavier oil. Is that considered ok for these cars specced for really light oil? My first thought was German Castrol but I'm very open to recommendations.

Thanks for your time!

-M

Aside: NC Miata Supercharger Tales of Woe -

Many stories of stock engine internal failures when supercharged on the web; some true, almost zero with actual proof/pics/detailed documentation. IOW, a friend of a friend of a friend... OTOH, Appears some of the real failures were caused by "not so good" ecu re-flash tuning problems early on. DPtune (Dynotronics) has entered the game and their tuneup is described as "bullet proof"... that is, until someone starts monkeying with faster blower drive exceeding 8 psi, tinkering with the ecu tune etc. I promise to leave everything as the kit is designed and delivered.

Oh, heck. While we're at it:

Oil filter? Pure 1?

Trans and diff lube? Would be looking for something to reduce friction losses in the tiny little car... but don't care to be grinding gears as a trade off.

Diff: Tochigi Fuji LSD. FM says they couldn't get this "lesser" cone biased torsen type diff to fail in their supercharged 06 track race car in 3 years of racing abuse. They don't recommend I bother upgrading it for street. Still, diff fluid for cone type would be best. TMI? Yeah, probably.

Yeah, I could break that all up into separate topics in other threads but it seemed more elegant to keep it all here.

THX!

-M

Last edited:
Thanks for the input! That'd be convenient since that's the oil I run in my dualsport bike!

-M

Did you mean Valvoline 5W-20? I'm not aware of any dino 0W's.

I'd recommend T6 as well, though I'm sure there are a lot of other viable options. T6 seems to be the best bang for your buck, though.

Does the tranny call for a GL-4 or GL-5 lube? The best, on paper at least, is Motul Gear 300 (GL-5). That's what I have in the tranny and rear diff of my STI.

You're right; 5w20 Valvo.

Thanks for the info. Not sure on the trans/diff factory recs. I've gotta get an owner's manual. Paper or online..

-M

There isn't much information available on Supercharged NC miatas because there aren't many. Most of the info we have at miata.net (I would highly recommend you stop by) are on the NA and NB miatas (I am running a MazdaSpeed 04 factory Turbo and my wife has my old 02).

There are a couple of different trains of thought here, the NB miatas (1999-2005) are a bit cooling challenged, so the turbos are much more so. In high/hot conditions one of our members found that M1 0w40 ran HOTTER than 0w30 by about 30 degrees, which got him up into the 265F range. He was in AZ though, so you could probably get away with it in CO, I ran some 0w40 in my 'Speed in AR and haven't had any issues with it. One of our guys did a UOA on his 'Speed in Houston with both a 0w30 (Amsoil, I think?) and a 5w20 (M1) and got no appreciable difference in wear. While quite a few guys get really good results with Forced Induction miata's and T6, I think the 40wt is overkill. If you are spending so much for more horsepower, why waste a couple of HP pumping thick oil in circles?.

For the transmission, the unequivocal leader in MTF is Motorcraft Full Synthetic Manual Transmission Fluid (Ford PN XT-M5-QS) is considered the bomb. I would stay away from GL5 in the transmission (If you haven't read Widman on the subject, here is a link http://www.widman.biz/uploads/Transaxle_oil.pdf ).

Originally Posted By: 10bears
You're right; 5w20 Valvo.

Thanks for the info. Not sure on the trans/diff factory recs. I've gotta get an owner's manual. Paper or online..

-M

You can get an online or downloadable pdf by registering at the mazda corporate website.

Cheetahdriver,

Thank you very much for the extremely specific info on all topics! Sounds like the 0w30 might be better for 2 reasons.

I'm a n00b over on Miata dot net and have been reading steadily 'til I tip over lately. I'm currently vacuuming up everything I can find on the Cosworth SC installation. Mucho good info!

Much to learn. My screen name over there is MountainMichael and I really appreciate all the input from you all while I was in the process of finding and buying a Miata!

MMike

Originally Posted By: cheetahdriver
In high/hot conditions one of our members found that M1 0w40 ran HOTTER than 0w30 by about 30 degrees, which got him up into the 265F range.

M1 0W30 at 235F is as thick as M1 0W40 at 265F ?

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
Originally Posted By: cheetahdriver
In high/hot conditions one of our members found that M1 0w40 ran HOTTER than 0w30 by about 30 degrees, which got him up into the 265F range.

M1 0W30 at 235F is as thick as M1 0W40 at 265F ?

Yes, they are both ~8cSt oils at those temps.

Originally Posted By: 10bears
Cheetahdriver,

Thank you very much for the extremely specific info on all topics! Sounds like the 0w30 might be better for 2 reasons.

I'm a n00b over on Miata dot net and have been reading steadily 'til I tip over lately. I'm currently vacuuming up everything I can find on the Cosworth SC installation. Mucho good info!

Much to learn. My screen name over there is MountainMichael and I really appreciate all the input from you all while I was in the process of finding and buying a Miata!

MMike

Excellent. Come on down to the Oil Forum when you get going, we will have much advice for you....all guaranteed to be worth what we charge for it.

The 2.0/2.3 engine family is turbo'd in the Cx7 and Mazdaspeed's 3 and 6. Should check the UOA section as there are several UOAs. Might give you an idea at what oil runs best when stressed by boost.

I'd use Redline 0w30, 5w30, or 0w40.

Since you're going to run an oil cooler, I'd give any 0w40 a try. Or, Euro 5w30/5w40/0w30 as they tend to be thicker then USA versions of the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back