Mazda 2.5L MZR = Ford 2.5L Duratec?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Are the Mazda 2.5L and 2.5L Ford Duratec motors the same? Thanks.

The Ford Motor Company owns rights to build and use the MZR generation of engines under their Duratec brand name for global service in its vehicles since 2003.

As of 2011, Mazda will discontinue development of the MZR generation of engines to be replaced by their new SkyActiv generation of engines. At this time Ford will continue to develop and manufacture variants of the Z-engine and L-engine for their Duratec and EcoBoost four-cylinder engines.

Straight from Wikipedia.

Last edited:
...and the 3.7 V6 in the Mazda6S and CX-9 are Ford Cyclones. In fact the first production 3.7 Cyclone was built by Mazda.

I still say it's a viable partnership.

From what I have read, the Mazda & Ford 2.3 & 2.5L engines have the same architecture but, differ internally in piston design, connecting rod and crank design. In addition; the Mazda had at least initially a forged crank. The Mazda also had a gear driven balancer.

I think the Ranger and Escape have different internals. The Fusion, 3 and 6 I think are the same internally with a few fuel management differences.

no, they are not exactly the same. they share some common features and are based on the same design.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Thermo1223
I also thought the Ford models lacked the VVT that the Mazda's had.

True that in some cases. The 2.3L in the Escape/Mariner/Tribby did not have VVT. The 2.3 in the Fusion did. I had both. There is a very noticeable difference.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back