Issues - current generation Chrysler minivans...

Status
Not open for further replies.
What are the known mechanical "issues" with the current (fifth) generation of the Chrysler minivans? These have now been available since 2008.

By this, I want to hear about the same mechanical issues that seem to be appearing a little too frequently, across many different units?

I know that many have complained about the cheapness of the interior, and that the folding seats aren't the most comfortable.

The Stowing seats aren't that comfortable, but they're okay. They are improved over the 4th generation ones. There are a lot of sliding door problems. Doors either think they're closed when they're not and pop back open (when using the mechanism) or they won't open at all. There have been a number of TSBs, including for brake work: the original OEM-spec brake pads on the 2008 and 2009 vans are incredibly dusty and short-lived. I understand the new service brakes and those installed on 2010 models are much better. They still have some of the same sway bar bushing issues that plagued the 3rd and 4th generation vans. Otherwise common problems that are still too early to tell on the 5th generation vans include power steering rack leaks and rear HVAC line failures (due to corrosion). The 3rd and 4th generation vans both suffered problems there. The MyGig radios have also been problematic in the new vans. Some owners have had new radios installed by Chrysler and/or new firmware upgrades due to the radios locking up, etc.

I would think the models with the pushrod 3.3L and 4spd auto would be the simplest and most reliable in comparison to the 3.6L and 6spd in the Town and Country. There really isn't any major mechanical issues that I've seen on either though.

They're nice vans. A LOT of van for the money if you pick one up a year or three old.

Joel

Last edited:
For 2008 through 2010, there were a number of different powertrain combinations.

The lowest was the 3.3L/41TE 4-speed. This was only available in the Grand Caravan SE and possibly the lowest trim of the Town & Country as well. The 41TE has proven to be pretty durable, if not the most graceful of operators (I owned two of them).

The next up, and bread-and-butter of the 5th gen powertrains, is the 3.8L/62TE 6-speed. Like the 3.3L, the 3.8L is pretty bomb-proof. Like the transmission, it's not the most elegant of engines, but it gets the job done. I drove the 62TE in a Dodge Journey once and came away not overly impressed. It had 6 forward speeds, but didn't seem much smoother than the 41TE in my van, which I was hoping for.

The top of the line is/was the 4.0L/62TE. Same transmission as with the 3.8L engine, but this is the 4.0L SOHC variant of Chrysler's 3.5L SOHC V-6 engine. This combination was only available in the Grand Caravan SXT and T&C Limited, and it was an option on the SXT trim.

The 2011 model year has done away with all of the above. As I understand, all trims now have the new Pentastar 3.6L V-6, mated to the 62TE transmission.

2010 Chrysler Town and Country Touring in White Gold.
21,000 miles. 3.8 V6.
Was a rental for 7 months.
$18,200 at a Chrysler dealer.

Carfax documents two oil changes at a Valvoline Speedy Lube in those six months. First change was after 10 weeks at 6,100 miles, second one 2 months later (no documented mileage record). Vehicle was removed from service three months after second oil change. Dealer changed oil at 21,000.

If one assumes that the second oil change occurred at somewhere around 13,000 miles, it didn't miss an oil change.

No recorded accidents on either CarFax or AutoCheck.

Will have balance of 3/36 bumper to bumper, and 5/100 powertrain.

It's a lot of van for a great price, but it was a rental. At least this one has two documented oil changes, during the time that it was a rental.

The 5th generation vans have some form of an oil life monitor, so that would explain the somewhat odd intervals. Having owned two of these vans (both 4th generation, admittedly), and having moderated a rather high-traffic Chrysler minivan forum, I'd say the quality is hit-and-miss on these. I'd buy a used 4th gen for myself if I was looking for a van. Parts are cheap and they're easy to work on. But I wouldn't buy one for the family. We could not rely on our '07, and often had to trade vehicles around and get rentals while it was at the dealer. Chrysler Corporation didn't treat us well either, and pretty much left me out to dry on a few issues.

So, it's no more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back