Oil Pressure Sending Unit

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 99 F150 with a 5.4l.. i was told by the dealer that it was leaking from the oil pressure sending unit, which is located to the direct right of the oil filter.. well that seems like a reasonable place for it to be leaking, and since it is indeed leaking somehow, i figured i might want to check it out.... dealer quoted me $300 lol, so i went to carquest and got the part for $9. i do have one major concern though-

1. if i take out the old unit, will oil flow out everywhere? lol.. its not sitting upright in the block, its actually more upside down. i will post a picture so everyone can get a better idea... what i really dont know is if oil stays in the line going to the filter, even with the engine cold and off. i would appreciate any help, i will post a picture shortly

It may drip a teaspoon of oil unless you try to change it with the engine running!
lol.gif

If you are able to access it that's money in the bank. Oil sender/switches commonly leak at the lug swedge or threw the connector terminals.

I wouldn't expect to lose much oil. There shouldn't be much oil above it. Stick a pan under just in case.

I did one on an MX-6 and it didn't leak at all. That may have been the most rewarding easy-labor $4 auto repair I've ever done. No more oil on the exhaust manifold!

alright great. i appreciate the responses.. i took some pictures of it, but after yalls answers i dont think they are even necessary. i plan to let the engine sit overnight, so even if some does come out i wont get a hot oil treatment... i do expect it to be a little bit of a hassle to get out, but im really tired of it dripping. i reckon ill giver her a go tomorrow.. again thanks guys

Oil shouldn't flow everywhere when changing it. Oil pressure senders can sure make a mess when they fail though - I replaced one that was literally spraying oil everywhere. I lost much more money more in wasted oil than the new sender cost.

You might need a special socket to change it, so be aware of that when you buy the sensor. It is annoying to buy a tool just to change one part, especially such a cheap part, but it still beats paying labor.

Originally Posted By: jim302
You might need a special socket to change it, so be aware of that when you buy the sensor. It is annoying to buy a tool just to change one part, especially such a cheap part, but it still beats paying labor.

yeah ive already looked at my sockets and i dont think i have one that will work. one of my spark plug wrenches is just barely to short
mad.gif
... i think its about time for me to upgrade my set anyway, might see what sears has to offer in the way of a kit or something. but thanks man i appreciate the heads up

You can get a US made KD tools socket for it at oreilly for like 16-20 bucks, 1/2.

The one on my jeep went out and spewed oil all over my drive way, a nice 40 foot black line. Easy to replace, if you got enough room you can get away with vice grips but i'd only do that in an emergency as you can ruin the bolt on the unit then, it will be fun to take off.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back