Redline 0w-30 vs Amsoil 0w-30

Status
Not open for further replies.
Both oils are good. It would be very expensive to answer the question. There are specs for sure but there is a lot more to "best" than the reported components in the bottle. You don't even have a definition of best, yet.

Red Line would get my vote. Seen a couple less than impressive UOA's awhile back with the Amsoil 0w30. Nothing bad, just not really impressive to me. Red Line is known to use a lot of Group V basestock, to answer half of your question.

I'm also going to guess that the RL uses less added VI improvers than the SSO, although with the very high, long drain TBN of the Amsoil that may not matter much, as far as shear down is concerned.
21.gif

There are many very impressive UOA's on Amsoil 0W-30 posted.

Redline 0W-30 is probably a great oil, but not that many users post UOA's, so hard to compare.

The basestocks are probably a lot more similar than people here assume. Folks on BITOG tend to post misinformation that Redline is 100% POE, when even Redline will tell you that it contains PAO along with POE. Redline probably does have more POE than Amsoil 0W-30, but at some point that doesn't mean all that much. One thing for sure, as I posted in the other thread on the exact topic, the additive packages are VERY different, for very different purposes.

Extended drains = amsoil

Extreme cold weather performance (think -40) = redline

They'll both provide excellent protection in any application. Trying to find fault with either is really a moot venture.

Honestly, I can't imagine a tougher choice
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: Pablo
Redline probably does have more POE than Amsoil 0W-30

I would say that is a very safe assumption.

Ha, so to supplement I use Amsoil SSO and add a bottle of LubeGard BT w/ EP!

lol, haven't yet, but seriously considering it for the next OCI.

I use Amsoil 0w30 in my '04 Corolla and i'm 100% satisfied.
Here in Canada, winter is very very cold and I never had best oil than Amsoil for cold start.
I never used RL before...so my opinion isn't very fair
smirk.gif

I have not used either, but the reputation of both is just fantastic.

I think availability and cost are the main things that people consider though. For instance I found a place that sells Redline for less than $8.00 a quart but it is about a 40 mile drive from here. NAPA, Walmart, AutoZone, O'Reilly's, and Pep Boys seem as common around here as flys are in a dairy. In fact, within an eight mile radius, there are two NAPA stores, one Walmart, at least two AutoZones, at least three O'Reilly's and two Pep Boys.

Last edited:
Been using Redline 0w30 for the past 2 winters,no issues or regrets! Winter time cold starts are effortless>

Best of all ,no shipping when I go with Redline!!!

Originally Posted By: Steve S
What engine are you putting it in and how is the engine used? That would be how I would chose the oil.

How about for a Honda S2000, very low total annual mileage, but a number of autocross events, perhaps one track day, and an annual oil change?

Originally Posted By: DragRace

Best of all ,no shipping when I go with Redline!!!

Is that because you get it locally, or from an online seller that doesn't charge shipping? If the latter, can you share where you purchase from?

There are several places that I have found online that offer free shipping on orders over $100.
I have ordered Redline through OG Racing, free shipping.
A case of 12 quarts of Redline is going to be over $100.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back