too much Power Service == Busted Piston Rod??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here is the tale of woe.
32 HP 25 year old Kubota, in middle winter pasture cleanup, CLANG-CLANG-CLANG-you get it!

Local tractor mechanic opens it up and sees broken rod and piston.

He also says that the diesel is "smelling strong." He asks if I have been using lots of power service. I proudly say "YES", I got a great deal locally when a farm store sold out. He said that he sees engine damage when too much PS is used.

Anyone else know about this?

From what I have seen a cetane booster...they make a bunch of products. If that is what it is it sounds like too much, detonation and the rod had a life ending, sheet ruining accident in the bed.

Ok cetain boosters use? Oh [censored] I forgot? octyl nitate? anyway they will/can detonate is high percent so I guess in this case too much of a good thing could make a to high cylinder pressures and cause a boom.
bruce

Originally Posted By: bruce381
what is PS?
bruce

PS = Power Service typically in diesel additive slang...

IMO, I'd say the engine was probably not in good health...not saying you didn't take care of it, but that the rod was stressed/defective already...

I would seriously doubt the engines reliability if it couldn't handle a dose of PS. I just don't see extra cetane causing a rod to break...typically diesel get quieter running more cetane.

I guess the next question to ask is "were you running the recommended doseage?"

One of the UOAs in the diesel section showed an inordinate amount of lead and after tracing the source, it came back to the guy "overdosing",in fact, double dosing the amount of PS.
Lot of good UOAs using PS at the recommended amount so...
Caveat emptor.

Until I lost my injector, I ran PS in EVERY tank. I only once had elevated lead in my UOAs...that was from very heavy towing for several thousands of miles. I have 35k miles of UOAs on PS that never had elevated anything.

I typically ran 8 ounces (what my bottles were) to every fillup, which wasn't always 22 gallons. I know for fact I was "hot" with PS, and it never gave any problem or caused elevated lead.

Not saying it doesn't happen, but running the dosage and frequency I was, I should have seen an increase in lead of anyone.

Thank you sir for furthering humanity with some factual science! I have been pondering the idea of power service for a fuel lube in ethanol fuel. What do you think the strength level i should start on?..I feel like the performance 64 ounce to 100 gal level lol! o_O and how is it over rated? it contains a high level of toluene which is what f1 ran mostly on in the 80's. Please allow science and reason in your life! Thanks for your time.

I believe from memory that you can change the dose per instructions on the PowerService bottle. Although PowerService does have different types of this product avaliable. I on a routine regular basis double dose my fuel with PowerService in the Winter. The type I use has the cetane, gel, and lube formula in it. I use a MarvelMystery oil/diesel fuel mix the rest of the year for lube and injector cleaning issues. Has PowerService commented on, or any other authority on the cetane level being altered to the point of being too high and engines self destructing on a regular basis? Never heard of this before.

Which PS were you using? How much did you use? I use the white bottle for gelling issues and it works great for me. Did use the grey bottle in the Jetta TDI I had with no issues. I used a 1oz to 3 gallon ration, if it was gelled up I used 1oz. to 1.5 gallon ration as stated on the white bottle.

Higher cetane makes the diesel burn more smoothly. There is an "ignition lag" time between the beginning of injection and the beginning of ignition. The lower the cetane rating of the fuel, longer the lag, the more fuel is in the combustion chamber before ignition, and the stronger the BANG of ignition. The higher the cetane rating of the fuel the sooner the ignition, the less fuel in the combustion chamber, and the less the bang. We want the fuel to burn smoothly during the injection period, not accumulate and light off with a blast.

Originally Posted By: 951Indy
I was wearing a baseball hat when my lawnmower threw a rod.

Lawnmower didn't like the team?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back