Few available local used learner bikes- but...

Status
Not open for further replies.
New considerations for a first bike:

Pickings for a used good-to-learn-on motorcycle are *Very* slim im my area, & most disappear fast. Example- a few days ago two Honda Nighthawks appeared and went within a few hours on Cragslist. I've sent more unanswered emails mow than I can count to the Dallas, Houston, Little Rock, & Austin areas.(Rant: People could at least answer the email with,"It's Sold!", or remove their ad. Rant off now.)

So, have done more research, hoping to cast a wider loop of acceptable candidates. The sport bikes just don't appeal to me, so the Kawasaki Ninjas are out. I'm sure there are others, but I've found two that really stand out to me so far- but one is mighty old.

1. Once upon a time, Honda made a Rebel 450- but only in 1986 & 1987. Close to ideal as far as power, weight, simplicity, etc- but old & rare. 24-25 yrs just seems too old.

2. Yamaha Virago 535- not sold since about 2001 in the USA, might be near ideal too. About 400 lbs dry, shaft drive, 535cc air cooled V-Twin, relatively high revving, rated about 42-44 HP. A bit more complexity, but still the more I research the Virago 535's, the better they look.

Turns out that an "almost-no-info" CL ad posted ~50 miles away is for a 1996 Yamaha Virago- seller was told 550, it's probably a 535. Needs tires(tread OK, but getting weathercracked on sides), ~10,000 miles, dent in tank, blue & white, been sitting in shed for a year or two but has started & run well for several test rides this week. Clear title. 15 years old sounds workable. They're asking $800, I may get to see it tomorrow.

Nice ride, really low seat height. If you are 5'10" or taller, you'll be a little squished. I bought one, and taught a former GF to ride. She was 5'3", and it was a good fit for her with the bars pulled back slightly. Good powerplant, really quiet. Shaft drive is practically maintenance free, short of lubing the splines and rear hub fluid changes with new tires. Rotella 15w40 in the motor, change the plugs, and have a good time.

you might also try e-bay. But buyer beware.

The Rebel 450 are rare as hens teeth. Worth their weight in gold it seems. Most are sold to friends, relatives, etc... few ever seem to show up on the open market.

The 700/750 Shadow, especially the early ones, isn't a bad bike to start out on either, you might consider that model if all else fails.

1986 isn't that old, I just bought a 1100 Shadow 1986. Great shape, just needed some TLC and a good bath.

If you're over 5'8" or over 170, don't be afraid to start out on a 750 cruiser. Shadow, Magna, Virago, V-Star, all good bikes. At one time I looked long and hard at a Suzuki Savage single cylinder, talk about simple.

+1 to cbear.

I was shocked at how heavy my MSF nighthawk 250 was. My Virago 750 is only 10-20% more.

I think the "learner bike" advice is just to stay off a twitchy sportbike that might pop a wheelie when the revs get up into the power curve. A 1980s Japanese cruiser will be adequate (and fun) in every way, regardless of displacement.

Having had my 82 Virago since fall 2008 and a little over 4k miles I can report excellent reliability. After cleaning the carbs and a new battery/starter when I got it, I needed

-- a tire, but because some bozo put a front tire on the rear

-- rear brakes, because the shoes delaminated from sitting

in 2009. 2010 saw a 1/2 quart of oil top offs (small leak) and zero repairs! 2011 looks like it needs another battery; they eat them like candy. I roll start mine to save wear on the fragile early starter design.

Is Feb an off riding season down your way? Probably everyone thinks they'll get more money waiting until spring. Ironically they should be watching the market and advertising (it's free for cryin' out loud on CL) to get someone with money willing to buy...

American Lifan still has a 400cc variant of the 535 Virago.

I don't know how good their Yamaha clones are but the OHV Honda cloned singles have steadily improved and are almost decent now. Frame welds are MUCH better than they were on the early Lifans.

I rode an LF200iii. Around town it was more fun than a hot tub full of Stepford Wives. Probably not as much fun on the freeway.

I saw the Virago 535 today. It was fairly rough- tank had several dents, it would take a new tank or a good body man to put it right. Tires were exactly as claimed, good tread with cracking sidewals, but not too deep. If they would pass inspection could probably run 'em for a while as is, then replace the front one first, & go a little oversize when replacing the back. Speedo is cable driven off the *Front* hub, so you could get a "rubber overdrive" effect & still have an accurate speedometer. Front fender was skinned on top but not dented. Seat was a mess with mahy holes & tears, not even connected to the bike, just sitting there, probably best to replace it. It was missing one little allen-keyed chrome round cap on the rear cyl top cover. Only sign of external oil I saw was down low on the left side around the oil filler plug, which may easily have been a top-up boo-boo.Paint was blue & white, with the white teardrops on tank sides & broad white-striped blue fenders.
Needs handgrips, & one *Heckuva* good cleaning up- which would probably show several(many?) other things needing to be put right!
grin.gif

But I gotta admit- it started easily & once choke could be moved to 1/2 position, sounded *sweet*. When finally unchoked copmpletely idle sounded too low to me, but kept on smoothly. No sign or smell of oil burning. Factory exhaust pipes in good shape. All footpegs, mirrors & turn signals in place. Size, weight, & "sit* felt(as Goldilocks once said), Just Right! No, I didn't try to ride it- sure would hate to crack it up & then have to pay for it!- but am satisfied clutch, gears & brakes work well. Odometer read 10,084 miles.

He said someone rode it last week, came back, & said it just didn't run well enough, too bad, really liked it otherwise. After the guy left, owner was putting it away & on a whim shook it- No Gas in it at all! So this thing actually runs on fumes!
thumbsup2.gif

How's *that* for gas mileage.?!
crackmeup2.gif

It just looks too rough, but if I knew more about 'em & could talk him down a hundred or two, it might be a decent buy. 10K miles seems to be nothing for these engines.

If anyone's interested send ma a PM & I'll send you his ad & phone #.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back