top tier gasoline?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: rshunter
I think the primary problem is that most people don't bother to get "the big picture" of local gas prices.

Locally (within 6 miles) the cheapest non-Top Tier regular gasoline is $3.049. The cheapest Top Tier regular, which happens to be Shell, is $3.079. That's right, a whopping $0.03 difference! For premium gasoline, the cheapest non-Top Tier is $3.249. The Top Tier Shell V-Power (again the cheapest) is just $3.299. A whole $0.05 more per gallon!

I see a lot of people post big price differentials between Top Tier gasolines and the cheap stuff. The funny thing is that when I check their local listings, I never seem to find the massive differences. I'd recommend that more folks take a look at GasBuddy and find their local price listings. You'd be amazed at the prices you can find, when you bother to look. Those with an Android, Windows or iPhone smart-phone should try the GasBuddy Mobile App. With the mobile app you'll find the best prices close to you and even get directions (or navigation) to the station.

Around here, the nearest station, 200 yds away, is 3.49. The nearest Shell, 9 miles away, 3.69. Two blocks from that, the next TT station is 3.29. The cheapest station I've seen is 3.22 no name gas.

All prices are for 92-93 octane.

You do realize that location has a determination in prices??

In the last 2 years, my favorite is ExxonMobil gas due to give better mileage than Chevron. However recently I try again the new Shell after getting discount on it, and I am surprised the new Shell seems have better cleaning power and more calories in it.

My car is ripping on Shell. I paid $3.099 for v-power the other day in NJ. I topped it later with Shell 87 and there was little difference. My car is very sensitive to fuel and "loves" TT gas.

A coworkers has a early model Rav4. About three months ago he had a egr issue so he replaced some sensors. It worked for about a month then the code came back. He's got 150K on this thing. Since new he's ran the cheapest gas he could find. One day he decided to run Shell....after a couple of tanks the code went away and hasn't been back since.

Originally Posted By: kr_bitog
In the last 2 years, my favorite is ExxonMobil gas due to give better mileage than Chevron. However recently I try again the new Shell after getting discount on it, and I am surprised the new Shell seems have better cleaning power and more calories in it.

I notice when I drive my sisters 4.6 GMQ her car does not get as good mileage as mine using Exxon/Mobil...She uses nothing but Chevron...Exxon/Mobil generally has the lowest prices around and the stations are always busy and very well maintained...Even the restrooms are spotless.

Originally Posted By: Trajan
Around here, the nearest station, 200 yds away, is 3.49. The nearest Shell, 9 miles away, 3.69. Two blocks from that, the next TT station is 3.29. The cheapest station I've seen is 3.22 no name gas.

All prices are for 92-93 octane.

You do realize that location has a determination in prices??

Uh, um, let me think about that... Uhh... Hmmmmm.... DURRRRRR...

I'm gonna have to say YES!!!

Apparently, you missed my bit about people checking out their LOCAL prices. Any other dumb questions I can help you with???
wink.gif

The point is to avoid those moments of having bought gas, only to find a bit further down the road that you could have got it for less. If people don't check prices before they buy, or didn't know that they could, they lose out. If my previous post helps one member find themselves a better deal, then it was a success. If it just gets dumb responses, well then it just outs people for their reading comprehension...

How about this?

" see a lot of people post big price differentials between Top Tier gasolines and the cheap stuff."

Folloed by this: "The funny thing is that when I check their local listings, I never seem to find the massive differences"

Some reason you don't see what they see? Are they lying?

gasbuddy has its uses, but is not all incluseive.

Can you explain why the nearest no name station is 3.49 compared to 3.69 for the local Shell, 3.29 for the Turkey Hill a little further. And 3.22 for the first no name I pass to get to TH?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Trajan
How about this?

" see a lot of people post big price differentials between Top Tier gasolines and the cheap stuff."

Folloed by this: "The funny thing is that when I check their local listings, I never seem to find the massive differences"

Some reason you don't see what they see? Are they lying?

gasbuddy has its uses, but is not all incluseive.

Can you explain why the nearest no name station is 3.49 compared to 3.69 for the local Shell, 3.29 for the Turkey Hill a little further. And 3.22 for the first no name I pass to get to TH?

Your argument against my statement might have held some water if you knew which posts I had checked to see if I could find the fuel for less. The problem is you don't, and even I don't recall the specific posts as it's been a while. That doesn't change the truth of my observations. I don't for a moment believe they lied about the prices they saw and have never made any such assertion. The only one who has brought up such a ridiculous idea is you. The thing you don't seem to get is that casual observation of a few stations along a route doesn't provide a reliable picture of the best prices in the area.

Your observations of today's prices at a few stations tell us nothing about the efficacy of the program. There are countless stations near the typical member's daily commute. To check each one as they drive by, and hope to pick the best deal at random is like playing the lottery. If a person can see what prices are along their route, and in the area, they are in a much better position to make an informed decision. Why does this idea irk you so? How can advising others that they can, and should, take advantage of a source of reference be so offensive?

Why do the stations that you referred to have different prices? There are a number of things that come into play. Among them are their individual cost of operation and the wholesale price they are being charged. But the saddest one is that they can just charge a higher price, thanks to drivers who don't know what the price is at the station down the road, because they didn't bother to inform themselves...

P.S.: Thanks for proving my point with the $3.22 price for the non-Top Tier stuff and the $3.29 for the Top Tier. Again, a $0.07 difference just by bothering to check prices!

Last edited:
Prices between Top Tier gas and the non stuff vary by state and often even by city. In Oklahoma there doesn't seem to be a difference between them with the exception of most Shell stations where they charge about 15 to 20 cents more and hence will never get my business. In Oklahoma we are inundated by Quiktrip which sells TT gas at very competitive prices and so that is usually the best choice. I just got back from a van trip to Disneyworld and was surprised at the great variance I saw in gas prices---greater differences than I am used to. Also saw stations like Chevron and Mobil, which I never see otherwise. I did notice on my trip that many of these TT stations did charge more for their gas.

Yeah. It does vary...

On the freeway entrance nearest to my house which is north of Seattle.

Shell - 3.239
Cheveron - 3.259
76 - 3.359

^As of last Wednesday these stations rose .15 cents in 4 days. Which i find somewhat ridiculous when the Am/Pm/Arco in the same area has been 3.139 for weeks.

I dont personally go to Arco due to there usually being a line or its super busy. Plus i rarely carry cash. So on the off chance that the other stations have better fuel i pretty much pay the same price as i would @ Arco with their retarded and illegal credit/debit charge.

Gasoline stations and their worth have long perplexed man kind. Is there a place to read about their specs and compare the top tier ones?

Furthermore.

Ive followed a Rhienhold Petroleum delivery truck out of a Safeway Gas station and into the 76 station i mentioned above. Not sure what thats about. He could have very well had two different tanks or something. Who knows but it was sketchy.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Kaie
Ive followed a Rhienhold Petroleum delivery truck out of a Safeway Gas station and into the 76 station i mentioned above. Not sure what thats about. He could have very well had two different tanks or something. Who knows but it was sketchy.

Count the number of valves you see under the trailer. That'll be how many compartments the tanker has.

When I make my trips to NJ, to pick up oil from Advance Auto and Groceries from Shop rite, I like to fill up with Citgo Gasoline. It's the only gas that is not polluted with ethanoyl in the Metropolitan NY&NJ area.

I guess they are not considered to be "Top Tier" because they did not pay their dues to the club or else because of political reasons. I've never had a problem with their gasoline but I've had problems with some of the "so Called" top tier gas stations in my hood. Go figure.....

Originally Posted By: mongo161
When I make my trips to NJ, to pick up oil from Advance Auto and Groceries from Shop rite, I like to fill up with Citgo Gasoline. It's the only gas that is not polluted with ethanoyl in the Metropolitan NY&NJ area.

I guess they are not considered to be "Top Tier" because they did not pay their dues to the club or else because of political reasons. I've never had a problem with their gasoline but I've had problems with some of the "so Called" top tier gas stations in my hood. Go figure.....

I guess they are not "Top Tier" because they cant qualify.

Originally Posted By: Robertslowpoke
Hi everyone! Thanks for all your help with oil and trans. fluid. Next-gas.
My reading led me to believe that top tier gas has a good amount of poly ether amine, a cleaning compound. also, that Shell V power has 5 times as much. I believe that and accept it. question is, DO I NEED IT?????
I have a 2008 cadillac northstar v8 with 27,000 miles and a 2002 lexus 6 cyl. with 76,000 miles. i want them to last forever.

would it make any difference to use top tier gas or shell v power? the shell v power was $3.40 today.

thanks!

bob

Bob,

At my current rate I use Chevron weekly and it's killing my budget big time already and the price hasn't hit $4 bucks per gallon yet!!!! I'd rather buy Costco gas or ARCO and add a big bottle of Techron every other month now. That way I have the poocket money to dose my tank higher than normal compared to having a lower dose already added in. I know I'm opening another can of worms but this is how my budget is.

Durango

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back