SUNOCO is back on list for Top Tier gasoline brands

:D . Now to find one . Disappearing ☹️ . Also , none within 20 mile radius are w/o ethanol 😞 . There was one with non E 90 . Now unknown brand gas with E 😬 . Last , can't click on SUNOCO at toptiergas.com gas to get to SUNOCO site . Does state Top Tier on it .

Last edited:
Sunoco....blast from the past. My dad worked at one of their fuel depos for years in Norfolk, VA when I was very young. We always had a few of these around the house, one could always be found in my mom's Singer sewing machine case. Can't find a picture of the other Sonoco artifact that was ever-present during my childhood. It was essentially a brick, wrapped in beige burlap, with a Sunoco patch sewn on it. Only use we ever had for it was a door stop. I last saw it in 1993 when my parents retired & moved back to Florida. It's probably still around.
Sunoco1.JPG

I'd venture to guess most people buy the cheapest gas they can find and have no idea what top tier means.
My parents have always pinched the life out of pennies when it comes to gas. Then they bought their first fuel injected car (1985 Accord) and after about a year of craptastic gas, it started idling low. Drove it to the nearest Honda dealer, 105 miles away, thinking it was something serious. They cleaned the injectors and told my parents to dig a little deeper in the change purse for gas, or they'd be back in another year.

They switched to Exxon, mainly to shut me up, but after I was grown and out of the house, they reverted to their old ways. They put the cheapest mess they can find in their new Hyundai right now. Where to find the cheapest gas is actually a topic of conversation with them. Makes me insane.

They switched to Exxon, mainly to shut me up, but after I was grown and out of the house, they reverted to their old ways. They put the cheapest mess they can find in their new Hyundai right now. Where to find the cheapest gas is actually a topic of conversation with them. Makes me insane.
:D

Sunocos were everywhere in the Buffalo NY area until maybe a year or two ago? They're all Valero, Speedway, etc now. The little mom/pop deli / store / gas station near me turned from Sunoco to Valero a good 5+ years ago and it's the only station with top tier stickers on the pumps that I know of in the area. Who knows if that really means anything these days.

The question in all of this that needs to be asked is why Sunoco went through all the rigors of making the list, and then went off of it, only to go through the process of getting back on it.
If the cost of paying off the "Top Tier" Gods to get their blessing put too much strain on their fiscal picture, they probably have more pressing issues.

Sunocos were everywhere in the Buffalo NY area until maybe a year or two ago? They're all Valero, Speedway, etc now. The little mom/pop deli / store / gas station near me turned from Sunoco to Valero a good 5+ years ago and it's the only station with top tier stickers on the pumps that I know of in the area. Who knows if that really means anything these days.
Yep Sunoco and NOCO were my go to's in BUF.

Mostly Shell and Valero down here.

My parents have always pinched the life out of pennies when it comes to gas. Then they bought their first fuel injected car (1985 Accord) and after about a year of craptastic gas, it started idling low. Drove it to the nearest Honda dealer, 105 miles away, thinking it was something serious. They cleaned the injectors and told my parents to dig a little deeper in the change purse for gas, or they'd be back in another year.

Well to be fair, gas stations today are far different from 1985. Getting actual bad gas is very rare now. Getting bad gas in the 80’ and into the 90’s was more likely with older steel tanks.

There’s a difference between cheap gas and bad gas. Gasoline is a high quality product.

The question in all of this that needs to be asked is why Sunoco went through all the rigors of making the list, and then went off of it, only to go through the process of getting back on it.
If the cost of paying off the "Top Tier" Gods to get their blessing put too much strain on their fiscal picture, they probably have more pressing issues.
I dunno man, seems kind of smart to me what they did. Driving was way down in 2020 so the left Top Tier. Driving has been increasing in 2021 so they rejoined. Seems to make fiscal sense to me.

Me: I have no idea what percentage of the gas-buying-public has any idea of fuel quality beyond price hierarchy.
If T.T. thinks people are going to see the small "Top Tier" stickers on some gas pumps, they're dreaming.

I feel a big petroleum company wouldn't want to introduce any quality authority higher than they. Ergo, Top Tier Inc. has to promote itself.
It's clumsy. A lab which is hired by petroleum companies measures beneficial additive levels and lists approved brands.

I predict that there'll be a run of Top Tier commercials during car race pre and post shows this year. Maybe they'll stress the importance of fueling your car well during this slow driving time.

Really the only top tier places in my area is Shell and BP. Don’t have a Sunoco or Gulf or anything like that. Besides the Shell and BP we have Kroger, Walmart, Sam’s Club, BJ’s, Sheetz, GB, Citgo, Valero, Speedway and probably a few more that I’m missing but we mostly get gas at Kroger or Sam’s or BJ’s because the premium is always cheaper than everywhere else.

Back