Rotella T6 5w-40 is a VQ engine?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello, I posted a little while ago about oil recommendations for my parents 06 and 08 G35's, and I know T6 is commonly recommended for turbo cars because its resistance to shearing (i think?) among other qualities. As of now both my parents run synpower and get it changed at the local valvoline every 7-8k miles but they charge like 70 bucks or more. I'm wondering how T6 would perform in these engines for say a 5-6k oci because I think they are getting ripped off as of now. I drove my fathers car (the 08) after it had gone almost 10k miles on the oil and the car physically felt sluggish from the last time I had driven it, maybe it wasn't the oil but I could feel a difference quickly while driving it. Thank you

The VQ engines work well with heavier oils, but make sure you don't go nuts and throw in something that is not suitable for the ambient conditions. The VQ engine (in my opinion) is best served with highly shear stable oils, as it tends to be like a meat grinder when driven properly
wink.gif

The Rotella should be fine, but I've never tried it myself. It's worth a shot, and won't hurt a thing. Just always keep in mind, especially with heavier oils, to always be gentle on the car until the oil gets some heat in it to ensure proper flow at higher RPM.

These cars are not driven hard, parents rarely push them into higher rpm's. However living in new england it does reach single digit temps around here sometimes, not often but it happens, would a 5w-40 be okay in that temp range?

Do the cars get driven hard? Are they the VQ35HR or VQ37HR, or the standard VQ35DE? The HR variants were known to consume more oil.

I think the recomended viscosity is 5w30 is it not? If so, I would not go with a 40w oil comsidering what you have told us about driving habits.

VQ's have always had 5W30 as the preferred viscosity, but until recent years, the owner's manual has always listed 10W30 and 10W40 as acceptable above 0F ambient. Nissan probably removed these viscosities for simplicity, not for any other reason.

To the OP, given your parents driving habits, M1 0W40 might be a better option for many cold starts, since it will not be as thick at startup as the Rotella will. A nice shear stable 5W30 such as Redline, or one of the European manufacturers that use an ester based oil would be the ideal option... However, I do realize that all of these alternatives have significantly higher price points than the Rotella.

Honestly, if price is a concern, Rotella will be fine, not optimal, but fine. Other (perhaps better) choices do cost more!

...just to add to my last post, another possibility may just be that your parents are simply running the over-the-counter oil too long in the VQ engine.

I know from personal experience that the VQ is not a great candidate for extended drains. It often exhibits highish oil temps even during normal driving, and is shear-happy. Running a store bought oil for 8k in this engine in mostly city driving, although doable, is likely not ideal in itself.

All you might have to do is reduce the OCI to 5k with any on-sale synthetic in 5W30 or 10W30 flavour, and see how that helps. Also, keep a close eye on oil level. The VTC system is sensitive to low oil level. Keep the dipstick right up to the H mark as much as possible.

Originally Posted By: mac9128
Hello, I posted a little while ago about oil recommendations for my parents 06 and 08 G35's, and I know T6 is commonly recommended for turbo cars because its resistance to shearing (i think?) among other qualities. As of now both my parents run synpower and get it changed at the local valvoline every 7-8k miles but they charge like 70 bucks or more. I'm wondering how T6 would perform in these engines for say a 5-6k oci because I think they are getting ripped off as of now. I drove my fathers car (the 08) after it had gone almost 10k miles on the oil and the car physically felt sluggish from the last time I had driven it, maybe it wasn't the oil but I could feel a difference quickly while driving it. Thank you

why not just stick with the synpower and get it on oil deals. it seams like autozone and orielly's always have a deal on synpower. also a fellow here got it for $2 a qt after the big40 and factory rebate at advance auto. at that price you could do a couple short runs if you think the engines are dirty. or just shorten it altogether. how about a 5k oci?

I don't think 5W-40 would be a problem in that engine, provided it's not pushed too hard during warmup. They're known for high oil temps, so they won't have issues with the oil not getting hot enough and being too thick.

i use Mobil 1 0w40 with great success i live on long isalnd in new new york and this winter has been brutal and the oil has been wonderful! Very Low Consumption, Very Smooth Operation. I Use M1 10w40 HM in the summer, my mom has a g37x and i use Mobil 1 5w30, The comment about the HR motors burning more oil is rubbish, I have VQ35de swap in a 2002 sentra spec v and it is in peak performing operation and compression is wonderful. Underhood temps Exceed 230 degrees (slim fans) to remedy and big radiator, but to get back to consumption all vqs have been known to burn oil especially the ones out of 02-03 maxima's. All the HR means is a different camshaft Profile at high RPMS, this differs from the vq35de by going from 6500 in the normal vq35de to 7500 rpm redline in the HR. This is achieved by incorporating a new ecu with vvel and different Camshafts and valve spring and retainers. I can understand the higher rpms requiring more oil for the cams but it will not change the consumption from the vq35de. I can change out my top end with jim wolf camshafts and valve springs and retainers and with a tune be revving beyond the HR motor and most probably not consume more oil. The consumption is coming from the ring clearance in the cylinder.

I have a 05 coupe auto (VQ35DE) with 123K. It sees redline a few times a day on its commute. I've ran rotella 5w-40 in the past two OCIs with 6K each. I fill 5.5 quarts and it burns .5-.75 quarts in 6K. I ran pennzoil platinum 5w-30 for 7K the OCI before the T6 and shockingly it burned 2.5 quarts. I do not know why it burned so much oil with the PP this time around, because previously with PP, it only burned 1-1.25 quarts in a 6k OCI.

IMHO, for my G my top picks are:
1. Castrol 0w-30 which I ran 7-8K and it burned 0.5-1 quart (I bought 35 quarts on sale at autozone one week)
2. Rotella 5w-40
3. Pennzoil HM 10w-40 for ambient temps for 4.5K OCI

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back