Question: Nissan Matic S

Status
Not open for further replies.
The only over the counter ATF I've seen that states "Meets Matic S" specs is Valvoline MaxLife.

Can I, or should I, use a syn ATF that "Meets Matic J" specs?

Is Matic S really that much better than Matic J? I know Matic S is spec’d for all the trannys that came with Matic J. Mine came with Matic S as OEM. Have the oil companies just not caught up with labeling the bottles Matic S?

Castrol Import Multi-Vehicle states Matic J but no S. I wanted to use the Castrol since it has worked better in our Honda than the MaxLife, but all the Matic "this and that" is confusing me!

ve a Nissan and use only Matic S as a replacement fluid. Why screw around for a couple of dollars every tro years and risk the tranny. It is very hard to find a lot of data on Matic S so I would be wary of anything that fits fifteen different transmissions. I can buy Matic S at the dealer for $9/qt so I don't find it a real big deal.

Matic-S is ONLY needed and required for the 7-speed transmission. All other RWD/4WD transmissions can use Matic-J or S.

If your transmission is NOT a 7-speed transmission, why waste $9 a quart when you can get Maxlife for At the dealer, you get a $4/quart fluid with a markup to $9.
If I buy Amsoil, Redline, Amalie, RoyalPurple, Maxlife,..... I usually get close to what I pay within a reasonable markup.

Originally Posted By: unDummy
Matic-S is ONLY needed and required for the 7-speed transmission. All other RWD/4WD transmissions can use Matic-J or S.

If your transmission is NOT a 7-speed transmission, why waste $9 a quart when you can get Maxlife for At the dealer, you get a $4/quart fluid with a markup to $9.
If I buy Amsoil, Redline, Amalie, RoyalPurple, Maxlife,..... I usually get close to what I pay within a reasonable markup.

That is kind of what I was thinking also...

I just did a d/f in my 07 Frontier (VQ40 with the same RWD 5speed) with Maxlife and it is working well. It had a mixture of J and M1 in their before.

I found the best deal was at AAP with a coupon. Just pick-up in store and you are golden.

Matic J has been superceded by Matic S. Nissan dealers may still have some J but it is no longer produced.

Matic S is the new Matic J

You can use Amsoil, Mobil 1, Royal Purple, Valvoline Maxlife, Castrol Import, or BG.

Matic fluid is expensive and the list above will serve you well.

I use Royal Purple as a Matic J substitute and have no problems. This was about 20k ago. I also ran BG syn for 60k with no problems in my Titan.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back