Pirelli 4 Seasons review

Status
Not open for further replies.

JDD

I bought the Pirelli 4 Seasons for my son's Contour. I was not inclined to buy a winter tire due to the hassle of changing them out and storage etc. So I was looking for a good compromise tire. It's been about a month and we have had a TON of snow here and lots of opportunity to drive in winter conditions. I drive the car occasionally. I must say that these are very good tires on snowy roads. They grip well on turns and getting going. Stopping is pretty good too, which is nice since the car does not have ABS. Sure the tires are new, which helps, but overall, the tires have exceeded my expectations for an all season tire. Lots of factory siping. I anticipate putting the same tires on my Toyota Sienna next year. Has a long warranty (60K, If I remember correctly) too.

The Pirelli P4 Four Seasons on my Buick are going on 60k miles with plenty of tread left. 85k mile warranty for its size.

I've got a new set of P4s on my 97 Camry which is our extra car. Shortly after I bought the Pirelli tires, Discount Tire put the Michelin Destiny on sale so that the net price would have been the same. My initial reaction was disappointment as I have owned several sets of Destinys and really like that tire. After owning the P4 for about 6k, I've decided that I like them at least as much as the Michelin. They corner about as well and actually have a smoother ride, something I really value. We had snow recently (somewhat unusual for us), but I didn't drive that car in the bad weather as my Volvo has traction/stability control. The P4s do seem to do extremely well in the rain, however, even in a heavy downpour.

This is my 3rd winter with the P4's(205-65-16) on black OE steelies w/wheel covers on my '04 Altima 2.5 4 cyl. They have been great! I was looking for an all-season tire that did well in the snow. I got it! They do well in all catigories IMHO! I have seperate 17" aluminum wheels/tires for the summer.

P4's...Nice balance of ride/handling, quiet, snow/ice traction, hydroplaining resistance and stopping in foul weather.

Very happy with this purchace.

Last edited:
When I lived in SC, many coastal downpours were tamed by the P4's on the Buick. They are very resistant to hydroplaning.

Good to hear good things about this tire. Getting a set shipped to me from TireRack for my girlfriends 4d Civic.

All the other tires had horrible wet road driving reviews. Being local to Seattle, that's sort of important. =D

Originally Posted By: Kaie
Good to hear good things about this tire. Getting a set shipped to me from TireRack for my girlfriends 4d Civic.

All the other tires had horrible wet road driving reviews. Being local to Seattle, that's sort of important. =D

Mine had the 2 central channels with the siped rib in between. Not sure how important that is to their water-clearing ability. Yours may only have 1 central channel with no rib, depending on width.

Hope they work as well for you as they have for me!

Oh so it turns out the ones i was getting are the Pirelli P6 Four Seasons.

Not sure about the P4s but these have that whole LRR thing going on.

Originally Posted By: sciphi
When I lived in SC, many coastal downpours were tamed by the P4's on the Buick. They are very resistant to hydroplaning.

That is good to know...

Originally Posted By: sciphi
Originally Posted By: Kaie

Mine had the 2 central channels with the siped rib in between. Not sure how important that is to their water-clearing ability. Yours may only have 1 central channel with no rib, depending on width.

Hope they work as well for you as they have for me!

All of the P4's have the 2 central channels and the siped rib in between if they are size 195 and up.

This is the most recent Pirelli P4 thread, so it'll be updated compared to older threads.

I finally got to really try the P4's in winter conditions with the surprise snowstorm we got last night. They did very nicely for all-seasons with 65k miles on them. I had the ABS kicking in, but an inch of plowed slush will do that even with snow tires. I needed to rock the car out of 5" of wet snow, and they did okay. As long as I kept my speed in check and didn't try anything too nuts, the tires kept grip, even on a slushy interstate.

I'd definitely recommend these tires as all-seasons that do pretty well in snow, even with lots of miles on them. They're not snow tires, and they're not meant to be.

Sciphi,
Couldn't agree with you more! Just when I thought the snow was ended for the season, we got hit again yesterday...All day! Just kept snowing!

As I stated above in Jan, this is my third winter and although we have great snow removal in my area, I have still driven through plenty of deep snow/slush that was like driving through grease. And I have still driven through unplowed parking lots aplenty! The P4's did well on my Altima 2.5 4 banger. This is a torquie 4 cyl engine off the line and would spin the OE tires wildly on dry roads. But, the P4's minimize the spin even in wet/slush using light throttle of course.

I do like these tires for all year use as their hydroplaining resistance is wonderful but, I have some nice 17" wheels/tires for the nicer months. Can't wait!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back