High mileage 1991 Honda Accord

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've got a 91 Accord with around 260k miles on it. The engine seems to burn quite a bit of oil, but I've been slowly working on reducing the consumption. It hasn't been very well maintained before it came into my possession. So far I've replaced the valve guide seals, and various seals to stop external leaks. It used to smoke profusely on a cold start but since replacing the valve guide seals it has not been as extreme. This lead me to believe that problem now was the oil control rings. To fix this I've done a couple "Italian Tune-ups", where I drove the car around at about 4,000 rpm's for a couple miles. This has helped a lot, and the smoke is not nearly as bad as it used to be. Finally, my question is would you use Valvoline Max Life synthetic blend or mobil1 high mileage? Both would be 10w-40. I'm not worried about the synthetic causing leaks, but I've heard it's less likely to burn off and when it does it smokes less. The only reason I can see to use Max life is that it's about .4(insert unit of measurement) thicker at 100 degrees C. It's also much cheaper.

P.S. I have recently changed the pcv valve with a new oem part from Honda.

Thanks

I know you didn't ask but if it were mine I'd run Auto-RX and then use either oil (or a dino 10w30).
The 1991 Accord was one of their best years, IMO, and you might get another 100K out of her.

Id use either without issue. I dont think it matters that much, and what might be more useful is for you to judge consumption per 1000 miles with each one for maybe two OCIs and see which works best for you...

I'd use a 15W-40 HDEO, and add a quart of MMO to 1 or 2 fills.

Some seem to have a lot of success freeing up rings and reducing consumption doing this.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back