2.4l World Engine

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all,
I've decided on a 2011 Jeep Patriot 4x4 with the 2.4l. I've tried doing some research on the 2.4l and it seems like a good solid engine. I haven't heard any horror stories about it but haven't heard any great things neither, so basically a slightly more than middle of the road rated engine. I'm looking to see if anyone knows of something that should be of concern on this engine. Or knows something I may have overlooked on the engine.

Thanks

I think it is a better choice to the 2.0L engine that was 2010 Front-wheel drive. I rented one of these in Arizona to do some touring (beautiful place) but the one gripe I had was the absolutely anemic engine. I felt as if it wasn't going to make it a few times. That is 158hp I believe. Your 2011 4x4 should have a 175hp standard so more power. That was the only gripe I had, it would have been really nice to have some more power. It drove well and I had no other complaints. I wonder how much dif. this will make (17hp). Hope you enjoy!

Get it with a manual 5-speed transmission. you'll need it plus an extra gear.

I agree with the anemic power. I rented a Chrysler Sebring with the 4-speed automatic and it was gutless past second gear and not great mileage.

Originally Posted By: ffracer
Get it with a manual 5-speed transmission. you'll need it plus an extra gear.

I agree with the anemic power. I rented a Chrysler Sebring with the 4-speed automatic and it was gutless past second gear and not great mileage.

I forgot to mention it will be a manual. And the 2.4l has 172 HP so a slight increase in HP compared to the 2.0

Originally Posted By: shpankey
Is this like the old 2.4l quad four engines? Probably my favorite engine. I had a z24 that had one. Pretty quick too.

Not sure. This was created by a joint venture of Chrysler, Hyundai, and Mitsubishi. If I'm not mistaken it was first introduced in '06.

Originally Posted By: shpankey
Is this like the old 2.4l quad four engines? Probably my favorite engine. I had a z24 that had one. Pretty quick too.

No relation with the Quad Four. I think the Quad Four was total GM.

Still not sure about the Chrysler variant of the GEMA 2.4.

The Avenger I drove was really smooth for a relatively big 4 cylinder, but it was absolutely gutless.

The Kia Optima, with virtually the same engine was a little more coarse, but not any more so than a Fusion/Mazda6i 2.3 and accelerated as well as the Ford/Mazda
21.gif

From what I've heard, the Hyundai/Kia variant is the "best" of the family. The Chrysler variants seem to be thirsty, noisy, and powerless.

Actually I was told by a couple people I know that Chysler Engineers had to rework the head, the Mitsu prototype version was a disaster. That is what happens when Germans tell you not too worrry about it LOL

I know a couple techs who work at the local Dodge store and they tell me the 2.4 is a good engine and they have very few issue at all with the calibers and patriots. The main complaint is people who buy them are not used to the CVT but aside from that they have very few issues. The 2011 get the new interiors and improvements. Get the 5 spd and you should have a good Jeep. A freind has a 2009 Patriot 4x4 5 spd. He dumped a Mistsu Lancer EVO POS that he got sick of fixing. He says the patriot gets over 32 mpg highway and rides nice and the 4x4 system is pretty good too. He misses his turbos but after replacing the diffs and transmission in the Evo and having electrical problems he decided to move on.

i know a few people that have vehicles with the 2.4, and they love these motors. all get low 30's, and mid-high 20's (mpg)in the city.they're known to be solid, dependable motors, per mechanic friend at dealer.
the posters that state that the motor is gutless in the sebring and avenger fail to mention that these are fairly large, and heavy cars in which to put a 4 cyl.the 2.4 is "adequate" for these cars,but would obviously perform better with a v6.the terms gutless and adequate are subjective in nature, so your opinion is the only one that REALLY counts.
congrats on your purchase.

Originally Posted By: yeti
...the posters that state that the motor is gutless in the sebring and avenger fail to mention that these are fairly large, and heavy cars in which to put a 4 cyl.the 2.4 is "adequate" for these cars....

It's wheelbase is about 3.5 inches longer than the big compact/small midsize Mazda6 but only 1.5 inch longer than the Fusion with virtually the same 2.3 as the Mazda

I think the 1st gen Fusion/Milan to Avenger/Sebring is a fair comparison.

Originally Posted By: Spazdog
Originally Posted By: yeti
...the posters that state that the motor is gutless in the sebring and avenger fail to mention that these are fairly large, and heavy cars in which to put a 4 cyl.the 2.4 is "adequate" for these cars....

It's wheelbase is about 3.5 inches longer than the big compact/small midsize Mazda6 but only 1.5 inch longer than the Fusion with virtually the same 2.3 as the Mazda

I think the 1st gen Fusion/Milan to Avenger/Sebring is a fair comparison.

My mom has an '08 Sebring and I've got to say that it is bulkier then the Fusion or Milan. The wheelbase may be similar but over all the Sebring is substantially longer, taller, and possibly a little wider.

I cannot comment on the engine though since she has the 2.7l V6 which has enough get up and go not to be annoying however it isn't speedy by anymeans. I would give it an average rating, nothing to boast about but nothing to really [censored] about neither. This is if you're simply rating it as an around town vehicle, if using a performance rubric then it is extremely weak...extremely.

Thanks for all the replies on the 2.4l I appreciate it.

Last edited:
I have an '08 Jeep Compass (bought fall of '07) with the 2.4 World Engine and the CVT, and it has around 70,000 miles. So far, no recalls and no repairs, and it still drives like new.

My only complaint (which I new when I bought it) is the fuel economy. It only gets 26 hwy and 22 in-town.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back