Anyone tried S2000 grease?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 4x4 which calls for lithium or moly depending on what I am greasing. I was wondering if S2000 would reduce the friction on the front CV joints enough to gain any mpg.

Several of the local VW garages use the Amsoil Moly fortified grease as their CV grease, since it can carry higher timken loads. I do think the Series 2000 Racing Grease is worth using for wheel bearing repacks, since that job is all labor anyway. It's very tenacious stuff and very difficult to get off your hands ....it's also an offwhite color, so you can visually tell how degraded it is.

I think the Timken bearing load for the S2000 is 65 lbs, vs 80 lbs for the Moly fortified, HD Amsoil grease. Most non-moly fortified greases have timkens in the 40-50 lb range by comparison.

Ted

Lithium and moly don't directly relate.

Lithium is part of the material of which the grease base is made--the thickener. Here's a list which also shows the compatability between different types of bases: http://www.mindconnection.com/library/handyman/greasecompat.htm

Moly, either molybdenum disulfide (the usual type) or a molybdenum phosphate compound, is a additive to the grease. It can be in grease of just about any base material.

The lubrication from grease actually comes from the oil in it, and it can be the usual types of oils...petroleum or synthetic. Consider the base like a sponge that holds the oil and releases some under pressure.

Ken

quote:

Originally posted by Ken2:
*-*-*-

The lubrication from grease actually comes from the oil in it, and it can be the usual types of oils...petroleum or synthetic. Consider the base like a sponge that holds the oil and releases some under pressure.

Ken

Yes. Moly does not have to be in the mix at all to have a high Timkin. In most applications, with my limited knowledge, you don't want moly at all, unless the application calls for it. And just because it has Moly in it, do not be fooled. I carry both, and the ones without do just as well if not better than the ones with. Check your application, select the soap base and the oil based on what you will do with it.

Hi, i would like to share my experienced. I repacked my wheel bearings on my truck recently. I used the Series 2000 Racing Grease. When i got it open my first impression of it is that is is very easy to pack, and smells better than the petroleum greases.

Once packed, i noticed the wheel spins easier. Before repacking it spin only 2 times around, and with this grease it spins over 3 times now. The old grease wasn't that bad so it cant be becuase the grease is old (62,000 miles on O.E.M. grease).

What type of AMsoil grease would you use for the frond end joints...The heavy duty moly or go with the regular synthetic grease.

I am in the same situation as the original poster. I have a Toyota Tacoma that calls for both greases (w/ and w/o Moly). I use the Series 2000 grease for both applications and have had no issues in 2 1/2 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back