Cables, chains, or emergency chains w/ straps??

Status
Not open for further replies.
From your experience which do you recommend? I am looking for something to install temporarily when I have to drive and there's several inches of snow on the ground. The tires I have are all seasons, but with the light snow last week I am not confident that I will get anywhere if there's more snow on the ground.

Also, which brand and model do you recommend?

Thanks.

what kind of car? If its fwd, get 2 plain steel wheels that fit it from the junkyard and mount snowtires on them, if your will encounter ice, used studded tires. You can change them whenever your want and carry them in the trunk. Easier for me than fussing with chains.

If you're talking about literally driving through several inches of snow, none of the items you mentioned is going to make it possible for the average car. To go through half-a-foot, if not more, of unplowed snow you need ground clearance first and foremost.

If you've got a vehicle that provides that clearance, then there are a number of possibilities. First, you need to make sure that there isn't an issue with using traction devices on your vehicle. The manufacturer usually provides guidance in the owner's manual. Even the tire size on the vehicle can make a difference as to whether you can use chains, are limited to cables or are advised not to fit anything.

To the previous post, it all depends on the snow. Some snow you end up driving on top of, other snow you drive through. I drove through 10" of virgin powder snow with all seasons in a front wheel drive. The light powder pushed out of the way very easily.

To the OP, I have never used added traction devices. Make sure they are safe to use with your car, and won't interfere with and ABS/traction systems.

A good set of !!4!! snow tires is the first thing you need. On ALL 4 WHEELS. I used to (barely, but still) make it through a solid foot of snow with my lowered Toyota Tercel for winter after Canadian winter.

The Ranger with it's ground clearance disappointed when I first got it in Feb. due to the garbage tires it came with. A good set of snows I just bought and 300lbs of gravel over the rear axle, feels like it will stick to an oil slick. You really shouldn't need chains or studs, just good snow tires and enough weight in the vehicle, (and don't forget that lost art of slowing down and focusing on driving lol) unless you are going off road in the Antarctic or something.

Type of device depends on intended used. Cable chains are best for low clearance situations, the strap-on segments are good for getting you out of a parking lot...but not covering any distance...and all are a royal PITA to put on...

But if you need chains more than once a year, you should just get snow tires.

Mount snow tires only in sets of 4. The snow tires available now are so much better than they were a few years ago, and have so much more traction on snow and ice than all-season tires, that it is unsafe to mount just 2. All the owner's manuals, tire manufacturers and tire shops caution that you should mount snows ONLY IN SETS OF 4.

Try 4 snow tires and see how you do - living in Vermont and Colorado for 10 years, drving through some serious snowstorms, I never unpacked the chains for my RWD Volvo even once...and drove around quite a few wrecked AWD cars that were equipped with all season tires...

You may find you don't need chains at all.

snow tires as a set of _4_. 2 snow tires is a good recipe for swapping ends.

4 snows, 4 steel wheels (junk yard take-offs even, if they are straight), and you'll be great.

if it's a once in a while thing, carry chains if you can use them. expect 25 mph tops. expect a rough ride. if they let go, expect paint damage. if deserted roads, consider a come-a-long (hand winch).

common sense goes a long way, but experience goes longer. speed always increases damage, but sometimes you have to build enough to crest a hill. it's a balancing act.

Be careful.

M

Another vote for snow tires, get some steel rims and the narrowest used tires you can for them and enjoy winter driving for $200-300.
I find myself almost looking for chances to use my snowtires. In wet snow on pavement they will seem like a miracle over all-seasons.

Though I run snow tires IF you can sit home through storms and IF they do a good job plowing and you only need traction aids to get out of parking lots, something like spikes spiders might be good for you.

There's a slight logic to requiring chains to drive to Lake Tahoe, if you only need them for a couple mountain passes it would be uncomfortable and expensive to drive on snow tires the rest of the winter.

My snows let me drive through powder to a degree where I can see where my (FWD!) differential scrapes a little line in the snow.
thumbsup2.gif
And my car's a 2300 lb lightweight with 9" of ground clearance.

Originally Posted By: ProfPS
From your experience which do you recommend? I am looking for something to install temporarily when I have to drive and there's several inches of snow on the ground. The tires I have are all seasons, but with the light snow last week I am not confident that I will get anywhere if there's more snow on the ground.

Also, which brand and model do you recommend?

Thanks.

I have used Spikes Spider Sport, which requires a mounting hub. ($$$)

and Thule CB-12 chains. ($)

they both work fine.

Chains are safer if there is ice under the snow or at intersections where the snow is highly polished. Cables are usually OK, and fit more closely if that is a concern, especially on FWD and even on the rear of some sporty cars.

In any case, dry fit them for practice in your driveway, on the level, good light, something clean and dry to lay on. Be sure you install them the correct direction and good and tight. Retighten after driving a few feet. Carry good lighting, something dry to lay on, and extra gloves for the installation.

I agree that snows are the best. Given a tight budget, I'm looking for an emergency option if I get stuck at work, not planning to use them for long periods - just put them on to get to a place until the road conditions are clear.

My winter driving style has kept me moving with FWD/RWD & all season tires in many snow conditions - upstate NY trained during college. I've been stuck with chains and 4WD in a HWWMV near the top of Mt. Bjelasnica outside Sarajevo ['84 Olympic downhill skiing mountain, >6k ft]. Rounded a switch-back and drove into 2 ft of snow. Tried everything, but couldn't get thru. The Italian mountaineers came putting by in their mini snow cat and left me in the dust.

My normal snow driving philosphy has been if it's that bad outside, stay put.

2wd Rav4 V6 with Michelin Energy™ MXV4® Plus tires. I got them for a good price this past summer - $40 each. They are not the best tires for light snow. The Rav4 does have an automatic locking differential, yes on a 2wd, but it may be challenged with a couple inches of snow on the ground.

Originally Posted By: Ken2
Chains are safer if there is ice under the snow or at intersections where the snow is highly polished. Cables are usually OK, and fit more closely if that is a concern, especially on FWD and even on the rear of some sporty cars.

In any case, dry fit them for practice in your driveway, on the level, good light, something clean and dry to lay on. Be sure you install them the correct direction and good and tight. Retighten after driving a few feet. Carry good lighting, something dry to lay on, and extra gloves for the installation.

Cables are fine, as long as you get the SCC cables.
SZ6_2.jpg

the "roller cables" are garbage
Sno_Trac_1000.jpg

The SCC cables have more biting edges (and shown on a snow tire)... then a roller with less biting edges and can flatten out as well

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ProfPS
2wd Rav4 V6 with Michelin Energy™ MXV4® Plus tires. I got them for a good price this past summer - $40 each. They are not the best tires for light snow. The Rav4 does have an automatic locking differential, yes on a 2wd, but it may be challenged with a couple inches of snow on the ground.

For your application, in those kind of conditions, I think I'd have to second UG's suggestion. The Shur Grip Z should handle it well, without the hassles that chains can entail.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back