Rubbing Alcohol into Windshield Washer Fluid?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have some bottles of Rubbing Alcohol Compound bought from a drug store. Its ingredients are
Medicinal : 95% Ethanol Anhydrous
Non Medicinal : Camphor, Diethyl Benzyl Benzoate and Diethyl Phthalate.

Rather than flush it down the drain, I was thinking of adding it to Washer Fluid. Any negative consequences to it? Like rubber hose deterioration?

I've always thought methanol, in washer fluid at 70%, was harsher than ethanol. In my uninformed opinion you'll be fine.

I did that with some summer washer fluid I bought accidentally. Worked fine.

I also see no detriment to it, but I can't see that it's going to help any if that's what you're going for... sounds like you're just trying to dispose of it though. The existing methanol in the fluid will be far harsher to any rubber tubing.

You could also use it in small doses as gas line antifreeze since you've got the high test azetrope and not the watered down 140 proof version.

The Diethyl Benzyl Benzoate and Diethyl Phthalate are pretty aggressive on elastomers, but the dosage is small. I would be inclined to dilute it with standard windshield washer fluid.

Tom NJ

for years, I've done this:

1 gal water.
1-3 tsp liquid dishwashing soap (for the sink, not the machine).
a splash or 2 of rubbing alcohol.

into the washer tank.

works great.

M

If my Dad could run 99.999% pure methanol from his work in the minivans washer tank and not have any issues. I think you'll be just fine.

Story was he had summer fluid in and if memory serves at least 2-3 liters of it. He basically topped off with pure methanol from his work(chemical company) to tune of about 1-2 liters for the thaw.

It worked and the windshield was never cleaner in the winter!!!
lol.gif

This was way pre 9/11 because now if he left work with it(oked by his dept.) there would be a police chase to follow.

Use it only in a full tank or as was suggested measure out small quantities for the gas tank to prevent water in the fuel lines.

Don't put 95% alcohol in your gas tank, the other 5% water won't be good for anything.

Isn't camphor an oil? Before you dump it into the washer tank, perhaps put a splash on a rag and see if it leaves a film on the glass.

Methanol is the killer -it's brutal.

But isopropyl rubbing alcohol is great in winter washers. Some water should probably be added if you have 95% alcohol.
Note that you will have no soapy/washy characteristics.

I've been using this DIY windshield washer formula for years:

1/2 ga. warm water
16 oz bottle of rubbing alcohol
1/2 tsp Dawn dish detergent
optional: 1/4 cup sudsy ammonia
optional: 1 tblspn Jet Dry

Fill up with additional water to make a gallon.

Why make the stuff when a gallon is $1.50?

Every rental car I get from florida has nothing but water in the washer fluid tanks..

That wouldn't last long up here for sure..

Originally Posted By: dwendt44
Rubbing alcohol comes in two flavors. 70% and 90%.

You'd want the 90% stuff in freezing weather.

Wal-mart carries both.

It comes in more flavors than that, but 70% and 91% are the most common. 99% can sometimes be found at pharmacies.

Originally Posted By: lenjack
Confusing. Rubbing alcohol is isopropyl...your bottles are ethanol...ethyl alcohol.

RubbingAlcohol1.jpg

RubbingAlcohol2.jpg

Excuse the poor quality of the second photo, but you can view it in conjunction with my listing of the ingredients in my OP.

JustinH. Aren't you the one with the THINK CHEAPLY blog? If so, you have answered your own question.

In my case I did not set out to brew my own WWF. I ended up with four bottles of rubbing alcohol and I was looking to fortify the summer fluid in the trucks at work.

I am impressed by the knowledge of chemistry displayed by all the respondents in this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back