Question on Techron

Status
Not open for further replies.
My Volvo S40 has 25,000 miles on it and I just finished up with 2 Techron treated tanks of gas. I really can't tell a difference but do you think it cleaned up my fuel system? Also I buying a 1995 Suburban with 200,000 miles. Will a couple treatments of Techron clean up her up? I'm not sure if it has ever been treated with anything. What would the best way to clean up the fuel system be? Many thanks!

I really feel these products are a waste of money. I just bought Redlines SI-1, which is supposed to be THE fuel system cleaner because it has PEA (PolyEthylAmine) something that has been debated on here before is that Techron doesn't have that ingredient listed on their PDS anymore. That is what was supposed to make it very good; boost mileage too, I got a reduction in MPG's if anything. I really think they are all gimmicks. I still use MMO once and a while for an UCL. I better hide now...
27.gif

If you want advice for your Suburban, it would be to use a good quality fuel. Chevron., Shell, Mobil. You got 200K you should probably tell me what fuel you used...lol Keep it up and keep your $$ for good oil!!

Last edited:
I'm going to tell you the truth.

When I first bought my car from the Junk yard, it was in bad condition and I did all of the maintenance and made it run brand new. I used a dose of Techron and I did notice a difference in idling and MPG. I have felt that it did something.

The last few times I have used Gumout Regane which has the PEA you mentioned. Even among the Techron people, I've heard that Techron+ is better than just Techron.

I always use TECHRON SYSTEM CLEANER and not the Techron injector cleaner. The system cleaner is much more robust and does some cleaning of the combustion chambers. I often doen't notice a differenc and to me that mekes me feel the my engine was prety clean.

A new car clocked 24,000miles to date and you already started using FI cleaner in your gas 2 times already, I reckon?

I think you are over the head. I typically save this regimen until the car at least several years old, or have at least clocked over 40,000miles and will only do this once a year.

While I wouldn't dispute the effectiveness of PEA based techron additives, I wouldn't use Costco/7-11 gas to ruin my systems.

I still think you are overdoing this.

Q.

Originally Posted By: Chris B.
My Volvo S40 has 25,000 miles on it and I just finished up with 2 Techron treated tanks of gas. I really can't tell a difference but do you think it cleaned up my fuel system? Also I buying a 1995 Suburban with 200,000 miles. Will a couple treatments of Techron clean up her up? I'm not sure if it has ever been treated with anything. What would the best way to clean up the fuel system be? Many thanks!

You might just be killing your Volvo with kindness. While I don't think you've hurt anything I also don't think you'll see any benefit either. Many products get slapped around here because people use them and see no results. The truth is you can't fix it if it ain't broke especially a new car. People comment about adding MMO to their gas and not noticing anything. IMO that's a good thing, there's probably nothing wrong. Usually they are adding it to a newer vehicle and notice nothing in the butt dino dept, then complain. Be happy instead, that there is nothing to improve!!!!!!!! Same goes for your Volvo, new vehicle and nothing wrong with it.

I add a bottle of Redline FI cleaner once a year to my 08 Jeep with low miles, I figure it will keep things pristine. I don't notice anything, and I'm very happy about that. I also treat each and every tank of gas with MMO, I don't notice anything either, WITH THAT VEHICLE. I'm happy about that too, but I do think there is a benefit to the UCL inspite of what the naysayers say.

Now I do notice my high mile Aerostar has a smoother idle with MMO or TCW3 in the gas. Why? Because it is an older vehicle and I believe the addition of the UCL makes for a better ring seal. I also think in a new vehicle a dose of some preventative medicine is a good thing, just don't over do it. I can also tell if I skip a tank with the UCL, my wife can too. Maybe we're both nuts, or maybe in an older vehicle the addition of a FI cleaner or UCL is really noticeable. Many others have the same comments, so there are lots of nuts in BITOG world. JMO

Chris B.,

In your case for your Volvo I'd buy a quality gas of your choice and double dose the gas in your tank with Techron. Since you already did that you should be fine. Take it out on the highway and test/see if the motor appears to be running good. If so I'd say your good.

The Suburban, That has a big tank so do the same thing and double dose that one and take it for a nice drive.

Either way I'm no scientist so my method has no backing but from what I hear double doseing the tank won't hurt your tank in eithr car/truck. Techron has been around for a very long time and it's ability to clean up engines has been noted. I don't know about Gumout though.

Durango

I'd follow Durango's suggestion for the old Surburban, you'll probably notice a difference in a few hundred or so miles.

Thanks everyone! I fill up a a Kum and Go. What kind of gas do they use? On the Volvo I was just trying to keep it clean and not let anything build up.

25k & 2 tanks of Techron additive & you can't tell a difference. I'd think the system then was okay. Can't hurt but sounds like it didn't really need it either. Look at it as a maintainer run to make sure the system is clean.

95 Sub w/200k Won't know unless you try it, since your not sure if its ever been treated, so could be, maybe not. A lot depends on previous owner/driver. I'd do it just to know what & when. If it makes a nice difference then great, if not then it was probably well maintained.

Techron COMPLETE fuel system cleaner....
My question is this...what parts of the system can it clean?
The injectors?
The tank?
The gauge?
The intake? ( I have seen that mentioned here before not sure what bitog posters mean when they say a fuel system cleaner can clean the intakes?)
The fuel lines?

I have a 1981 Turbo Volvo with 245K. It has only burned Chevron with Techron. It stays clean. I also use MMO 4ozs to the tank. The car idles like it did when new and that's with a K-Jet system to boot.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back