Mobil 1 ESP 5W-30 in a MB M272 engine

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Mercedes M272 V6 engine states a MB229.5 approved oil. The Mobil 1 ESP 5W-30 is MB229.31 and MB229.51 approved but not MB229.5

Is it OK to use the ESP 5W-30 in the M272?

MB229.51 is approved for diesel particulate filters and diesel fuel, I am pretty sure doodfood is right because the ethanol in gas today destroys that oil.

Try M1 0w40, or PP Euro formula are 229.5 approved. They may be cheaper too? ESP is $$

I was told by the dealer that ethanol and 229.51 are not compatible so you verified what they said. I want to use that specific ESP 5W-30 oil because it is also Porsche/VW C30 approved...The oil is approved for VW gas and diesel engines however.

What about Porsche C30 approval makes you want it? Maybe we can help you find something similarly enticing.
55.gif

Porsche C30 (VW504/507) is a very demanding spec in terms of wear protection and cleanliness...That's all.

It is strange that ESP meets VW spec for gas and diesel engines but not Mercedes for gas engines...I wonder why the ESP 5W-30 is not compatible with ethanol in Mercedes.

Originally Posted By: Lex94
Porsche C30 (VW504/507) is a very demanding spec in terms of wear protection and cleanliness...That's all.

It is strange that ESP meets VW spec for gas and diesel engines but not Mercedes for gas engines...I wonder why the ESP 5W-30 is not compatible with ethanol in Mercedes.

North American gasoline contains higher levels of sulphur in addition to the presense ethanol. Both of these deplete the TBN at a faster rate which prohibits you from following MB extended drain interval (10k miles or 1 yr). Diesels can use this oil because the sulphur is lower and there's no ethanol.

Some people including myself believe you could probably use the ESP but just change it out every 5k-7,500 miles.

FWIW BMW has the same policy as MB, yet as you've pointed out VW/Porsche seem to disagree but I don't know the OCI's for newer Porche's.

Mobil 1 0w-40 meets Porsche A40, if that's worth anything to you.

Cleanliness is largely a function of the engine and fuel as well. If you're using a good synthetic, changing it on time, and sticking to good fuels (formulation, not just octane), there probably won't be too much to gain from using an oil like Mobil 1 ESP.

I would guess oil change intervals have something to do with it. Doesn't VW typically run them much shorter than Mercedes?

Originally Posted By: BMWTurboDzl
Some people including myself believe you could probably use the ESP but just change it out every 5k-7,500 miles.

Me too.

Originally Posted By: BMWTurboDzl
FWIW BMW has the same policy as MB, yet as you've pointed out VW/Porsche seem to disagree but I don't know the OCI's for newer Porche's.

AFAIK, Porsches run about the same OCIs but have bigger sumps. Could be wrong...

The Mercedes M272 V6 engine states a MB229.5 approved oil. The Mobil 1 ESP 5W-30 is MB229.31 and MB229.51 approved but not MB229.5

Is it OK to use the ESP 5W-30 in the M272?

No, do not use that oil. It lacks additives that helps it go the longer oil change recommended by Mercedes.

That oil is for diesels and that is not even the viscosity for North America (Mercedes recommends the 5w40 diesel one in NA).

I have 2 M272 engines myself. Just use Mobil 1 0w40.

Thanks guys!

I think the Porsche has a 2 year OCI in the USA...I think.
But it may indeed have a bigger sump...The MB M272 V6 is 8.5 qts.

The TBN on M1 0w-40 in a bit over 11 but I can't find TBN info on ESP 5w-30.

The Porsche C30/VW 504 507 spec is the most demanding which is why I want to use an oil meeting that spec.

The M272 can go as low as 0w-30 viscosity according to Mercedes.

If it is just a TBN issue then I can deal with that.

MB recommends 1 year or 10K mile OCI now for the M272...They use to recommend 13K miles.

Thanks guys!

I think the Porsche has a 2 year OCI in the USA...I think.
But it may indeed have a bigger sump...The MB M272 V6 is 8.5 qts.

The TBN on M1 0w-40 in a bit over 11 but I can't find TBN info on ESP 5w-30.

The Porsche C30/VW 504 507 spec is the most demanding which is why I want to use an oil meeting that spec.

The M272 can go as low as 0w-30 viscosity according to Mercedes.

If it is just a TBN issue then I can deal with that.

MB recommends 1 year or 10K mile OCI now for the M272...They use to recommend 13K miles.

This VOA (BITOG VOA) shows a TBN of 5.1. Which, as has been stated above, is perfectly ok for Diesel engines.

I would never use this oil in a european gasser. Stick with M1 0w40, GC, etc.... They are designed to handle the intrusion of gas in the oil and have TBN's exceeding 10.

Doh! Thanks BigJohn!

It is odd that the ESP 5w-30 has such a low TBN....Huh.

Yeah...The Mobil 1 0w-40 is the best oil - as well as the Pennzoil Ultra line (High Calcium, Boron). I bet the Pennzoil Ultra 5w-30 would work fine with the M272 and it's OCI but I will continue to use the MB229.5 rated M1 with the higher HTHS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back