2004 Dakota 3.7 Liter Sever Service OCI?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My family recently got a 2004 Dodge Dakota SXT with the 3.7 liter V6 engine. It had fresh oil when they bought it and now it just passed 85k and i got it changed with Mobil 1 5w-30 Oil and Mobil 1 Filter.

They drive many short trips and high idle time. I am curious as to if anyone knows the severe service schedule for these engines and what to try the intervals at since they won't pay for UOAs. I was thinking about trying 6000 miles to start with but want to know if anyone has had this engine before and already knows what it can handle on the Mobil 1.

It was a 1 owner truck and it appears to be really well taken care of, it had a super overly tight STP filter on it but no oil change sticker so i think the guy was doing his own oil changes on it. I can't see any signs of sludge, varnish or anything through the dipstick or filler cap so i am assuming its fairly clean and don't know if it was dino/synthetic for its early life.

Just to add a note the severe service schedule for the manual says 3000 miles or 3 months, but this is on dino so i can double this with synthetic right?

I understand I do not use a engine flush often, you just have to be careful and use a good product and follow a good procedure, when you get time go to NAPA and read the label on the NAPA engine flush.

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
Anyone else think double the severe service on Mobil 1 5w-30 is too little/too much ? 6000 miles?

Okay well il start with 6k miles since the severe is 3k

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
Anyone else think double the severe service on Mobil 1 5w-30 is too little/too much ? 6000 miles?

I had an 04 Dodge with the 3.7. Severe service is 3k, and from your description that's accurate...I was also in that category when I had it, with lots of idling, stop and go, etc in town. I usually went 5000 miles between oil changes. 6000 would probably be fine, especially with a good synthetic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back