2005 Subaru WRX STi oil choice

Status
Not open for further replies.
-2005 Subaru WRX STi 44,000 miles
-Owners manual suggests ILSAC GF-3, API, SL 5w-30
-I live in NW Oregon
-Driving varies from slow everyday traffic to a few track days during the summer and everything in between. I don't mind running different oils in the winter and summer.

I've been using Mobil 1 0w-40 and I'm losing almost 2 quarts every 3,000 miles. I ran the same oil in my previous car, a 99 Miata and that car drank it like a fish. I want to try another oil. I've been looking into, Royal Purple and Amsoil. I know German Castrol is a popular choice, but I can't find it anywhere and I don't want to order it. Give me some options please.

Can you get Mobil 1 High Miles 10w-30?

Some people are in denial about Mobil 1 0w-40 and consumption.

The 10w-30 HM should fare better.

If you're keeping close to the 3750 OCI, as it sounds like you fall into severe service, I'd say any decent syn oil could manage that.

But as it seems our Subaru oil-cooled turbos seem to beat up oil, another +1 to T6 5w40 for a year round, decently priced oil.

Also, in the case of my Outback, switching to a PureOne oil filter seemed to lessen the classic cold piston slap opposed to the Frams and Wix filters I had before that. And you can get the PureOnes 5 for $15 on Advance Auto's website right now. (Go online, select for in store pick up, select 5 PureOne filters, put in code BIG10 for $10 of a $25 order. Win.)

The Shell Rotella T6 5W40 appears to be for diesel engines and does not carry the ratings that my factory manual calls for, is this ok? Also that weight is pretty far from the manual, and yes so is my Mobil 1 0w-40. I was thinking of trying the factory recommended 5w-30, is their no harm to a 5w-40? I really want my car to last a long time, but I want to have some fun too.

I switched to the Rotella and have not used a drop during the past couple oil changes. In the past any xxw30 oils I have used started to be burned by about the 1500 mile mark. You wont be dissapointed.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: TrackRat
I know German Castrol is a popular choice, but I can't find it anywhere and I don't want to order it. Give me some options please.

Do you have Autozone down there? The Seattle AZ stocks GC.

FWIW, I switched from M1 0W40 to GC in my V70R, and the consumption dropped considerably--from a qt every 1K to about .5 gt every 2K.

The Shell Rotella T6 5W40 appears to be for diesel engines and does not carry the ratings that my factory manual calls for, is this ok? ...........

Yes, OK. T6 is a dual use oil, for diesel and gas. Lots of Subaru owners use it without issues. Search at nasioc and iwsti for owner experiences.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
Shell Rotella T6 5W40, Mobil 1 TDT 5W40 or Pennzoil Ultra Euro 5W40.

+1

Any of these oils would be perfect for your engine.

All great recommendations! For 30 grades, I would stay away from anything that says Energy Conserving. GC and Mobil1 High Mileage are robust 30 grades.

19.gif

-Dennis

Rotella T6 5w-40
Rotella T5 10w-30
Rotella T 15w-40
Chevron Delo 15w-40
Delvac 1300 15w-40
Castrol Tection 15w-40

T6 5w-40 would be my best recommendation. The 15w-40 HDEOs would work just as well (and are veeery cheap) if you're willing to change it before the temp gets too low.

The Shell Rotella T6 5W40 appears to be for diesel engines and does not carry the ratings that my factory manual calls for, is this ok? Also that weight is pretty far from the manual, and yes so is my Mobil 1 0w-40. I was thinking of trying the factory recommended 5w-30, is their no harm to a 5w-40? I really want my car to last a long time, but I want to have some fun too.

Your manual has a section that states that other oil weights/grades are acceptable for use under severe service and/or hot conditions. I think it lists something like 10w-40 and 20w-50. I've put 45,000 miles on my car using 5w-40 in the winter and 15w-40 in the summer.

I'd never use an energy conserving 5w-anything in a performance car that sees track time. The Mobil 1 0w-40 is a good oil. T6 is just as good if not better and quite a bit cheaper.

Most people seem to agree that Rotella T6 would be the best choice for my application. Can anyone provide more information as to why this is the oil I should be using?

I would like to add that I only drive about 7,000 miles per year. If I am on a 3,500 oci then I would be changing my oil every six months. Should it be changed more often, say every four months even though I'm not getting the full mileage use out of the oil?

Originally Posted By: hooligan24
being that your name is trackrat, do you roadcourse the car at PIR?

Yes I track my car at PIR.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back