Where to buy ZDDP additive to fortify modern oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Its my understanding that modern oil has about 800 ppm ZDDP in it. I'd like the oil I put in my stuff (cars,lawn equipment, etc) to be at the old level of 1200 ppm.
Is there an additive I can buy to add to all my oil changes to bring this "modern" oil up to 1200 ppm?
Ideally, I'd like to have a bottle of ZDDP that I can measure out and add a certain amount per quart of oil I'm using.
Is there something like this on the market?
Is this a good idea? Is this possible?
Help.

There are a lot of different products now,that offer higher levels of ZDDP,and there are products that you can find in the Summit catalog and Speedway catalog that are ZDDP products,Someone informed me that the GM EOS has a high ZDDP content,but I haven't verified that yet.There was a disscussion thread on this site about STP oil treatment having a high level of zinc in it,,like I said,,there are a lot of different products out there,,,but too say they are,,,what they claim to be,,,is another issue.

you can buy it right off the shelf at advanced auto. Lucas makes a break in zinc additive.. potent stuff... dont need much

Buying an HDEO like Rotella, Delvac, Delo etc will supply this need right out of the "box" (bottle). I'm running 5w40 Rotella T6 in my gas truck, and there is a 10w30 Rotella T5 for motors that don't appreciate that thick of an oil. Honestly can't think of running much else in anything built before 2000 and it's still a dilemma in my mind for anything newer than that.

Look into Red Line Break in oil additive, that would be my first choice. If you want it locally AAP sells the Lucas version as already mentioned.

Try Lucas TB Zinc Plus break in additive, at Advance Auto, or by interweb order, http://www.google.com/search?q=lucas+TB+Zinc+Plus&tbs=shop%3A1&aq=f

1.5 oz to 2 oz per 4 to 5 quarts gives about an optimal boost (that's about 10 servings per 16 oz container). I do this pretty regularly to my oil whenever I get angry and indignant at the EPA or the API.

...so whats the deal with the Rotella oil??
Is all Rotella marketed as diesel oil? They make it in 10w-30 and 5w-40? Does it have the old industry standard of 1200ppm of zddp?
Please tell me all about Rotella. I've heard mention of it alot but don't really understand.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
Look into Red Line Break in oil additive, that would be my first choice. If you want it locally AAP sells the Lucas version as already mentioned.

+1 on Red Line

Originally Posted By: deven
Originally Posted By: demarpaint

+1 on Red Line

And another +1 for Redline Break In Oil One bottle will treat 12 quarts oil

I also learned that the ester in Redline Break In Oil holds the ZDDP in a good concentration and the highly polar molecule ester sort of keeps the ZDDP where it helps the most ...against the metal.

Originally Posted By: j_mac
...so whats the deal with the Rotella oil??
Is all Rotella marketed as diesel oil? They make it in 10w-30 and 5w-40? Does it have the old industry standard of 1200ppm of zddp?
Please tell me all about Rotella. I've heard mention of it alot but don't really understand.

Shell's Rotella line of oils is one of many top quality dual-rated diesel and gasoline engine oils--Chevron, Pennz, ConocoPhilips76Kendall, etc. Any of these Service Category CJ-4 & SM oils will meet your needs very well. You will find them in 10W-30, 15W-40, and 5W-40 viscosities. There is no need for any additives.

There is no need to "fortify" modern oil except in a few older engines. ZDDP is simply the cheapest antiwear agent...there are other products that work as well or better but cost more, and these are combined with the ZDDP in modern oils.

Thanks for the links guys
The Rislone product looked promising but its $12 a quart (is that right?) at Advance Auto.
I guess these additives are all expensive. Maybe it makes more economic sense to buy a company's "racing" oil or whatever that is advertised to have the high ZDDP concentations alreay. ...but then will they have the right detergents for "street" duty??????
I'm just trying to figure out the best way to protect all my old cars and equipment that were designed to have ZDDP protecting them.

I have the redline stuff. There had been some discussion in the past of deposits caused due to improper dosing of ZDDP, including the redline.

I plan to use it in my diesels at follow-on oil changes since they were built expecting early 1980s oil technologies.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back