penzoil 5w-30 - 212,000 miles 2003 toyota matrix

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, newb here.I just bought this car 3k ago and oil was chainged after 5 months. it's a 1.8L 1zz-fe.What do you guys think?

1zzmatrix-1.jpg

What do you guys think?

Last edited:
That's not Pennzoil 5W-30.

I'm sure it's not...but the add-pack 'looks' like Amsoil ASL/ATM....

Your air filter is most likely the culprit. definitely change the air filter and check for any intake leaks/cracks. other than that, engine should be fine. no coolant leak that's for sure. these are good engines

Use the proper viscosity, replace air filter and inspect the tubing for leaks. Might as well take the time to pull apart some of the tubing and get the shop vac running to help clean the area as well as inspect the throttle body for gunk and clean if necessary.

Run another 3k and get a UOA. What are your goals with the UOAs?

California, eh?

Maybe they stuck PYB 20W-50 in it, b/c 'thicker is better', and it sheared down slightly in 3k miles.

Sounds crazy...but it fits.

Go to the dealer and get an oem AF. Always replace the AF before you change the oil;not at the time you change your oil. You want to make sure any dust dislodged by changing the AF is changed out with the old oil.

Looks fine for a 212K engine. I agree with those who said replace the Air filter. Make sure the seal is good! Also, you may want to swap the PCV valve, it's cheap and easy.

Originally Posted By: FZ1
Go to the dealer and get an oem AF. Always replace the AF before you change the oil;not at the time you change your oil. You want to make sure any dust dislodged by changing the AF is changed out with the old oil.

Good idea
thumbsup2.gif
I never thought about it and always inspect/change air filter when do the oil change.

I thought 5w-30 tended to shear down to a 20 wt? This sample only had 3K on it and it looks like 10w-40.

I think the dirt was from a hose i found coming from the valve cover to the intake manifold.Looked to have been cut and micky moused back together, had a coin size hole in it. what weight oil do you guys recommend that I run from here on?

I guess it had to be a 20w-50. I just went off the window sticker, i put M1 0w-40 in ther now. only because I had a few laying around.

Originally Posted By: KWIKWS6
No, I just went off the window sticker from the quick lube.

Yep it's not 5W30. My guess is it's whatever is the cheapest bulk 15W40 that they can get.

In any case the results are fine for an engine with that many miles. I'd have no problems putting 10W40 or even 15W40 in that car if you're in any of the warmish areas of Ca.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back