Dayco Belts - Anyone Use 'Em?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well I'm a stickler for fitment when it's my own car. I have seen some fitment issues occassionally. If the parts store gives you a belt number that matches the manufacturer's recommended part number than the fitment is probably close and within a few mm. I'm just passing on my experience. If it were my car I would price the OEM, then if it was unreasonably priced get a Goodyear or Gates but not a Dayco, but that's just me.

It doesn't sound like you got good service out the Nissan belt so I can't blame you for wanting a Goodyear or another brand. Cracks in belts don't always mean the belt is going to fail any time soon. It depends on the cracks. An aftermarket belt or hose could be better or worse than the original, it varies from application.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: mechanicx
Well I'm a stickler for fitment when it's my own car. I have seen some fitment issues occassionally. If the parts store gives you a belt number that matches the manufacturer's recommended part number than the fitment is probably close and within a few mm. I'm just passing on my experience. If it were my car I would price the OEM, then if it was unreasonably priced get a Goodyear or Gates but not a Dayco, but that's just me.

It doesn't sound like you got good service out the Nissan belt so I can't blame you for wanting a Goodyear or another brand. Cracks in belts don't always mean the belt is going to fail any time soon. It depends on the cracks. An aftermarket belt or hose could be better or worse than the original, it varies from application.

Yes, I think I'll try to find the Gaterback for first option. The cracks in the OEM belt are down through the ribs towards the back of the belt, but no missing chunks at this point. I think it will be good for awhile and I plan on changing it by the next oil change.

The OEM PS belt still looks like new ... just the Alt/AC belt is cracking.

I'ved used alot of dayco belts with much success, same with gatorbacks, only problem with the gatorbacks is they tend to stretch alot, usually have to go back and re-tighten after a few miles otherwise great belts

Originally Posted By: TLMjared
I'ved used alot of dayco belts with much success, same with gatorbacks, only problem with the gatorbacks is they tend to stretch alot, usually have to go back and re-tighten after a few miles otherwise great belts

Interesting comment ... so sounds like the Dayco belt is less prone to stretching?

I beg to differ, I have a Gatorback serpentine belt on a 1991 Lexus and not only is it relatively rigid it's tighter than the OEM belt!

We've got Dayco as OEM on a Toyota as well. And Nissan uses Dayco as OEM on US-built models.

OK, I've worked for Dayco for over 18 years so my opinion is obviously biased. Dayco and Gates do share most of the OE business. Others like Bando and Mitsuboshi do have some of the import applications. Here's the surpising part, many times the OE belt and the OES (OE Service belt you buy at the dealer) are made by different companies with varing specs. The OES and OE business goes through a bid process so on a particular application, Dayco may be awarded but Gates may be supplying the Service belt. It happens a lot.
The new Dayco Poly Rib W belt has a different philosophy. We've adopted different constructions based on the applications. These differences are in backing, rib construction and compound. You are correct, one construction will not perform the best with all applications. The majority of my line may be the W rib construction, but we've redesigned many part numbers because of the drive (ie. Mazda has a deeper ribbed pulley).
Hopefully any of you that have had issues with Dayco in the past will give this new belt a try.

Well I just ordered a couple of the Dayco Poly Rib W Belts for my Corolla XRS and Acura TSX. Keeping my fingers crossed, I am a very quality conscious individual.

Originally Posted By: The Critic
The belts that Dayco and Gates make for an OE are different than the ones you can purchase at a store.

and

Originally Posted By: BeltGuy
Here's the surpising part, many times the OE belt and the OES (OE Service belt you buy at the dealer) are made by different companies with varing specs. The OES and OE business goes through a bid process so on a particular application, Dayco may be awarded but Gates may be supplying the Service belt. It happens a lot.

The Critic keeps reminding us that "OEM" is not the same as aftermarket even if its the same brand. And now, Beltguy is saying that OEM from factory is often different than "OEM aftermarket" regarding brand.

Hmmmm. So, going to the dealer for a belt may not yield better results than an aftermarket one.

The question remains.....are "OEM" belts really better fit and quality than an aftermarket one.

Similar to: factory Motorcraft oil filters are made by Champion. Aftermarket Motorcraft filters are made by Purolator.

I had a Chrysler with a Mitsubishi 6G72 V6. It would randomly spit off it's belt in wet weather. The only exceptions were Gates and Dayco. They would still come off but you had to go through a real deep puddle so you kind of knew when it would happen.

As a consequence, I became very adept at putting a 6G72 belt back on in the rain and I only buy Gates or Dayco now.

Originally Posted By: zmelli
Well I just ordered a couple of the Dayco Poly Rib W Belts for my Corolla XRS and Acura TSX. Keeping my fingers crossed, I am a very quality conscious individual.

I installed both of my Belts, no fitment issues at all.

Originally Posted By: Spazdog
I had a Chrysler with a Mitsubishi 6G72 V6. It would randomly spit off it's belt in wet weather. The only exceptions were Gates and Dayco. They would still come off but you had to go through a real deep puddle so you kind of knew when it would happen.

As a consequence, I became very adept at putting a 6G72 belt back on in the rain and I only buy Gates or Dayco now.

Gates made/makes a kit for this that retrofits a belt that is ribbed on both sides to prevent this from happening, similar to that found on Volkswagens. This probably doesn't help you much now, but it goes to show their commitment to fixing known issues in belt driven systems.

Im running a Gatorback at the moment to keep belt noise down from it slipping across the alternator. Even though its quiet, I can tell it is slipping pretty good and will need replaced soon. How do these Dayco belts handle slippage. Quiet, or squeaky? Anyone know? :p

I just bought a new Dayco Poly Rib yesterday for a truck and was impressed by the fact it didn't stay as folded up as the others,it was still folded somewhat but very pliable making it easier to get through all the pulleys.Nice fit and finish and very quiet.
If it holds up and remains quiet over the life of the belt i wont bother hunting for the gator back which seem to be getting scarcer in my area.

I installed both of my Belts, no fitment issues at all.

Went to NAPA to look at the Gates Belt, ouch $76.00 If my Dayco belts last I saved a boatload of mula. I bought both of my Belts for $50 shipped thru Advanced Auto online. Advanced has great Coupons!

Originally Posted By: Colt45ws
Im running a Gatorback at the moment to keep belt noise down from it slipping across the alternator. Even though its quiet, I can tell it is slipping pretty good and will need replaced soon. How do these Dayco belts handle slippage. Quiet, or squeaky? Anyone know? :p

No problems and perfect fitmet so far, I got The W-Belts!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back