New Chevy Caprice Cop Car

Status
Not open for further replies.
If the OPP bought extra units and wearhoused them, and if they 'stretch' the service life of their cars a bit, it will be YEARS before we see something other than CVPI's on the roads in Ontario.

Smart move on the part of the OPP...let someone else be the 'guinea-pig' of which new cop cars is the best - Taurus, Caprice...whatever.

Originally Posted By: addyguy
If the OPP bought extra units and wearhoused them, and if they 'stretch' the service life of their cars a bit, it will be YEARS before we see something other than CVPI's on the roads in Ontario.

Miami-Dade has around 1700 cars...All the marked cars are CVPI's.

A Leo mentioned they would like to buy all new CVPI's before the line shuts down [latest word is May 2011] but the budget will not allow that...It is going to cost a fortune for new equipment as the computer mounts and everything else will have to be replaced for the new cars whatever that will be.

Miami-Dade still has some 95-97's CVPI's still on the road so it looks like I be seeing the CVPI's around for a long time to come.

BTW the OPP sounds like a very smart agency!

I believe the NY City police force has around 9000 cars. I don't know how many are CVPIs, but just imagine the cost and complication of switching over to a new design, with new parts, new maintenance requirements, etc.?

I don't know why folks are dreading the eventual "change over" that PD's will see if they decide to use the Caprice.

There will eventually be "change over" issues for the new Ford Taurus police car as well.

Besides, that equipment doesn't last forever either. After so many years/cars, it will eventually need to be replaced as well.

21.gif

Originally Posted By: Old Mustang Guy
I would be willing to bet that the agency I retired from (Dallas Police) will never be able to get any of these because of price. We have to have a lot of justification not to go low bid. As long as something cheaper is available it won't happen. As for how we coped with the Mustangs and Camaros and our equipment: I wrote a grant request to get some 2000 Camaros for our freeway traffic enforcement guys. We got the cars and ended up making them one seaters, no passenger or back seat. If we got a prisoner we had to send a Crown Vic to transport. They gave us good service and were durable but could have never been used for patrol.

Thanks for the response.
thumbsup2.gif

As an aside. I loved the looks of our Camaro police cars. We painted them in a unique paintjob, different than our other cars. I was proud of them since it was my idea and I wrote the grant request. They really looked sharp when we would use them in a presidential motorcade.

Originally Posted By: Old Mustang Guy
I would be willing to bet that the agency I retired from (Dallas Police) will never be able to get any of these because of price. We have to have a lot of justification not to go low bid. As long as something cheaper is available it won't happen. As for how we coped with the Mustangs and Camaros and our equipment: I wrote a grant request to get some 2000 Camaros for our freeway traffic enforcement guys. We got the cars and ended up making them one seaters, no passenger or back seat. If we got a prisoner we had to send a Crown Vic to transport. They gave us good service and were durable but could have never been used for patrol.

Very good post. My wife is in charge of the police fleet for a city "very close by" Dallas and the lowest bid is the Chargers right now. They are about 6-7k less than what the Caprice will cost. That's before equipment is added, too.

Originally Posted By: AuthorEditor
I believe the NY City police force has around 9000 cars. I don't know how many are CVPIs, but just imagine the cost and complication of switching over to a new design, with new parts, new maintenance requirements, etc.?

Actually Miami has over 30 different agencies so the total amount of cars they have could be as high as 7 or 8K...The City of Miami P.D. alone has around 1500 cars and they are dead broke [more so then Miami-Dade PD] so they can't replace any cars in the near future.

From what I can tell the FHP is going go with Charger Hemis as I see more in their fleet...The Broward Sheriff looks like they are going along as well with the Charger Hemis as they already have a mix of them with their CVPI's.

Originally Posted By: mrsilv04
I don't know why folks are dreading the eventual "change over" that PD's will see if they decide to use the Caprice.
21.gif

That is because maintenance is going to cost a heap more...Some agencies down here keep their cars on patrol for over 10 years...That will be very expensive to do with the Charger or any other vehicle.

It will be interesting to see who uses the Caprice...The Caprice just might to expensive for most agencies...I doubt I will ever see any down here but anything is possible.

Most of our local jurisdictions have changed over to Chargers also. Most of the police on post run Impalas. The Fayetteville city police use a mix of Impalas and Crown Victorias, with most of the county mounties and SHP using Chargers.

The new ford taurus police cruiser is a 6 cylinder turbo that has the speed and gas mileage hope these cars will be as reliable as the vic's

Originally Posted By: Shannow
Originally Posted By: GMBoy
My only concern is that the car only comes with a floor shifter and most all police depts need column shifters so there is room between the seats for all the electronics. My wife already told me that while the car is perfect in specs, she cannot use them in her police fleet JUST BECAUSE of the floor shifter - they cannot fit their equipment between the seats with it. This may be a drastic demerit to the car and it's sales.

Oz cops seem to be able to deal with floor shifters in the XR-8s and SS Commodores...and Mitshubishis, Rodeos etc etc.

Got a local car rag today (it's actually a real car mag, and very very good).

They explained that while having a floor shifter, "Holden cleverly re-engineered it's centre floor shifter to lie directly below the steering wheel, near the Driver's right hand for the best of both worlds".

Can't find pics, maybe a late mod after criticism ?

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL
That looks like an Oldsmobile model from over here.

Yeah, reminds me of an Olds LSS.

I'd agree. Has a very formal, 'upright' look to it.....it does look comfortable, tho!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back