Considering a new car

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe try to sell the Malibu privately if it looks good. Get your $2-3k and go shopping.
Realistically, the Malibu will probably go for a long time without needing much work at your mileage rate, but a Charger shouldn't cost you too much more to run either.

Originally Posted By: RoGuE
Sure, I could fix it but it doesn't change the fact that I want something newer that isn't a stripped down basic economy car.

Probably should not have mentioned anything about your current car in the original post then, as it just distracts people from answering the real question about what new car to get.
smile.gif

If you want and can afford a new car and like the Charger, go for it. I would get the R/T at a minimum. I'm actually eying an SRT myself. I drove a Charger V6 rental last month, and while the power was adequate, I would not call it fun by any means. I couldn't see myself holding onto something like this long term. I am also hoping the V8 transmission programming is better sorted out than this V6 one was - it was rather anemic to respond to shift requests, and I did not see a sport mode that could be engaged. Maybe I missed it.

Looks like the group consensus favors the Charger, so you may as well start picking out the color you want.
The safety/technology advancements alone are worth it.
Post a pic when you get it.
cool.gif

V8 Charger. Period, end of story. I rent them occasionally, and always appreciate them. Big, comfortable, capable and plenty of mid range grunt. What's not to love?

Originally Posted By: DaRider34
get rid of it. i had an 04 malibu ls with all sorts of random problems with only 62k miles on it before i traded it in at carmax since the dealer gave such a lowball number. Ended gettin around KBB value for it and put it towards a turbo sonata.

Stopped by a dealer, they appraised it at exactly $2k. I said I think I could do better elsewhere. Maybe I'll let Carmax take a look at it. Downside to that is it can't be applied to the purchase to bring the tax down.

Do you remember what the dealer offered you compared to Carmax? I know what you mean about a lot of small random problems. One cold morning a few years back the center display showed problem messages about airbags and power steering. Another time even after the car was off for several hours the clock never turned off.

Originally Posted By: Rock_Hudstone
[ It has no side airbags, only side curtain.

Unfortunately all those new car air bags should be called money bags.

If they go off in any quantity the replacement cost can exceed the value of a otherwise repairable vehicle. Thus, the car gets totaled by the insurance co. which then turns around and low balls the market value on the car.

That said, nothing wrong with trading up if you can afford it, you got your moneys worth out of that Mailbu. But I would take my time and bargain hard. Used car prices are falling and will continue to fall for the next few years.

Yeah, but in the end if I'm in an accident severe enough to trigger all of the airbags, I probably wouldn't want them to fix it.

I feel like I can hold out for a good deal. As long as I have a working car I'm perfectly fine walking away from a car if I'm not happy with the price.

Originally Posted By: 555
Sell the Malibu or trade it in. I know the dealer will give you next to nothing on a trade-in but unless you know someone who knows someone who needs a car, having strangers show up to drive your car can be a harrowing experience. See if you can sell to a used car lot. Any money you put into the Malibu should be because you plan on running it to the bitter end. Otherwise you're just adding value for the next buyer.
If a Charger makes you really happy just get the V8 and start enjoying.

Exactly why I rather suddenly decided to start looking at something else. I didn't want to sink money in repairs for something I don't plan on keeping forever.

Hey, interested in a 2007 Malibu, low miles? :p

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Sure, I could fix it but it doesn't change the fact that I want something newer that isn't a stripped down basic economy car.

Probably should not have mentioned anything about your current car in the original post then, as it just distracts people from answering the real question about what new car to get.
smile.gif

If you want and can afford a new car and like the Charger, go for it. I would get the R/T at a minimum. I'm actually eying an SRT myself. I drove a Charger V6 rental last month, and while the power was adequate, I would not call it fun by any means. I couldn't see myself holding onto something like this long term. I am also hoping the V8 transmission programming is better sorted out than this V6 one was - it was rather anemic to respond to shift requests, and I did not see a sport mode that could be engaged. Maybe I missed it.

Was the V6 really that bad? I test drove each one twice, and while the V6 doesn't push you back in your seat like the V8 it still gets up to speed really quick and can be had for around $4000 less with all other options being equal. Also, I hate the tacky spoiler across the back. As for the sport mode, only the R/T and up has it.

Originally Posted By: Cujet
V8 Charger. Period, end of story. I rent them occasionally, and always appreciate them. Big, comfortable, capable and plenty of mid range grunt. What's not to love?

Well, here are some things I've researched about the V8 that would go in to the "not to love" category: The 16 spark plugs, tight fit in the engine bay making repairs difficult, recommended 89 octane, and 30k miles copper spark plug replacement (I'm not sure about this one, supposedly it has been changed to 100k platinums.)

Originally Posted By: DaRider34
get rid of it. i had an 04 malibu ls with all sorts of random problems with only 62k miles on it before i traded it in at carmax since the dealer gave such a lowball number. Ended gettin around KBB value for it and put it towards a turbo sonata.

Stopped by a dealer, they appraised it at exactly $2k. I said I think I could do better elsewhere. Maybe I'll let Carmax take a look at it. Downside to that is it can't be applied to the purchase to bring the tax down.

Do you remember what the dealer offered you compared to Carmax? I know what you mean about a lot of small random problems. One cold morning a few years back the center display showed problem messages about airbags and power steering. Another time even after the car was off for several hours the clock never turned off.

Well, here are some things I've researched about the V8 that would go in to the "not to love" category: The 16 spark plugs, tight fit in the engine bay making repairs difficult, recommended 89 octane, and 30k miles copper spark plug replacement (I'm not sure about this one, supposedly it has been changed to 100k platinums.)

It was almost close to 2k difference at Carmax. Its doesnt make sense to worry about lowering tax if you get more money for the car at once place over the other. Remember to negotiate the price of the new car your buying first before even talking about tradein. That way if they lowball you on the trade you can hit them with carmax offer. Wish i had went to Carmax first for the appraisal instead of the dealership.

Midgrade gas isn't that bad what maybe 10-25 cent more than regular vs premium that can be 60-80 more.

Go for the 5.7L, it is like buying a V6 Mustang when you really wanted the V8 but told yourself the V6 was the practical choice. Just don't.

The 16 spark plugs are pretty accessible, it is the fact that there are 16 of them that's the issue. Secondly, I think the copper plugs thing was a LONG time ago, the new ones are all long life platinums, heck, even my wife's '06 R/T was.

The engine is really not all that crammed into the engine bay. It isn't as spacious as the V6 of course, but it isn't THAT tight.

If you are buying a new car, the dealer should want to play ball. That includes giving you what you need to get for your trade. There's plenty of margin on the sticker for the car, they can make it work.

This was the space under the hood for my 6.4L in the '14 I owned:
ChargerSRT805.jpg

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
Go for the 5.7L, it is like buying a V6 Mustang when you really wanted the V8 but told yourself the V6 was the practical choice. Just don't.

A V6 ponycar is like a Miata with an automatic- an abhorrent crime against nature.

I dunno about you guys but the V6 mustangs I rented were pretty awesome.
Despite being paired with an auto.

Compared to what the OP has been driving for the past ten years, it's a night and day difference!

The new mustangs are turbo 4 cylinder.

I rented one in florida last week and it was a real nice car.

Apparently when you run 87 octane it loses about 30 horsepower, but it was still fun.

16 plugs every 100K miles seems like a small price to pay to have some fun.
smile.gif

Also, it doesn't sound like you drive a whole lot, so that extra cost of 89 octane gasoline shouldn't amount to all that much on an annual basis.

But if the V6 makes you happy, then I agree, there is no need to spend more on a V8. Coming from a 2.2 I4, even a V6 should feel like a nice upgrade. My main beef with the V6 Charger was not the engine itself but the trans programming. Then again, it was a rental car so maybe the trans "learned" some bad habits from previous renters and needed to be reset...

Originally Posted By: Lolvoguy
I dunno about you guys but the V6 mustangs I rented were pretty awesome.
Despite being paired with an auto.

Compared to what the OP has been driving for the past ten years, it's a night and day difference!

The V6 in the LX platform cars is the slow one though. The new V6 Camaro and Mustang are 600-800lbs lighter plus you can get a manual, and aren't too far off an LX R/T V8 in a straight line.
If you need 4 doors though, the V8 Charger is hard to beat, although I'd compare it to a used V6 ATS sedan if you don't need a large rear seat or trunk, but I'm biased towards handling than straight line speed.

You're trying to find a car equation that you find satisfactory with your practical and emotional needs. Every vehicle you analyze will have its pros and cons.
You've got to pay to play.
Every choice is a compromise. Gas is still relatively inexpensive compared to the rest of the world. Think about why you like the Charger better than the alternatives.
Test drive everything you can, even cars you don't think you would ever buy but are in the same category.

Originally Posted By: MCompact
Originally Posted By: OVERKILL

A V6 ponycar is like a Miata with an automatic- an abhorrent crime against nature.

I'll take the contrarian view: a 292 HP engine paired with an 8 speed transmission is satisfying to drive.

I rented a Charger a few years back in Sacramento and drove it up to Reno, via Lake Tahoe, on Route 50. Winding roads, hills, traffic to pass. The V-6 Charger was a great car for driving in spirited fashion through the mountains. The handling was excellent, steering nicely weighted, and the engine always seemed to be in just the right gear to be responsive and powerful when accelerating out of the corners, or passing slower traffic.

"it's just a V-6" and likening it to the anemic, wheezing Mustangs of 20 years ago is a specious comparison when you're talking about an engine that puts out 292 HP, is eager to rev, and is paired with an excellent transmission that allows it to perform at its peak in every situation.

I really liked that rental car. I was genuinely impressed.

Last edited:
Look at the cars you are interested and test drive them. If one or two grab your attention try to rent them for a weekend to get a real feel .

[Was the V6 really that bad? I test drove each one twice, and while the V6 doesn't push you back in your seat like the V8 it still gets up to speed really quick and can be had for around $4000 less with all other options being equal. Also, I hate the tacky spoiler across the back.

Yeah, thats one of the many annoying things about new cars these days. To get the engine you want means having to buy unwanted options and/or packages, i.e. spoilers on already huge rear decks, 18 or 19 inch low profile wheels instead of the more forgiving 17's.

Personally, I think the best looking Charger is the 2017 model in Go Mango orange with the 17 satin silver wheels. I would buy new just to get that color.
cool.gif

https://pictures.dealer.com/a/allamericancllc/0315/0170adef9efd945094c35f737b13c5e8x.jpg

Originally Posted By: MCompact

I agree in spirit (nothing like the sound of a Ford or Chevy V8) but today's V6's are nothing like the V6's of yesteryear. The previous generation Mustang V6 made 300hp/280lb-ft. That's nearly as much as the top line 4.6 DOHC that was in the Mustang in the 90's!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back