New Chevy Caprice Cop Car

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hadn't seen this brochure before on the new Chevy Caprice Cop Car coming in 2011. That 6.0L V8 beat the competition in the speed tests in Michigan recently. I suspect we will see a lot of these as Crown Vics begin to disappear. Comes with a certified 160 mph speedometer, so watch out!
Caprice Technical Manual

So the cops are finally getting rid of the old man's car j/k
28.gif

It's going to be a nice car. The current Impalas are not up to police duty and the CV is going away so it should fill the void well. My wife is in charge of a police dept fleet and she cannot wait to try one out. The Impalas suck and the Chargers are not much better she says. The Crown Vics are great, but will be no longer available.

Does GM have any plan to bring a civilian Caprice to market in the U.S.? Seems like it could be a hit, especially considering how well the Charger has done.

It could get interesting in 3-4 years, when the municipalities start rotating these out of their fleets...

These could have a high residual value, due to their rarity in the states.

Originally Posted By: mrsilv04
It could get interesting in 3-4 years, when the municipalities start rotating these out of their fleets...

Right. Add the fact that there are no civilian versions planned and I agree the value will be higher than expected. I'm already making room for one in my stable! My only concern is that the car only comes with a floor shifter and most all police depts need column shifters so there is room between the seats for all the electronics. My wife already told me that while the car is perfect in specs, she cannot use them in her police fleet JUST BECAUSE of the floor shifter - they cannot fit their equipment between the seats with it. This may be a drastic demerit to the car and it's sales.

Last edited:
The brochure says there is 10" of open floor space between the front seats for equipment, though I suppose that would mean departments would have to purchase some sort of specialize console. Will your wife's department consider the Carbon, or just between the Charger and the Taurus?

Originally Posted By: GMBoy
My only concern is that the car only comes with a floor shifter and most all police depts need column shifters so there is room between the seats for all the electronics. My wife already told me that while the car is perfect in specs, she cannot use them in her police fleet JUST BECAUSE of the floor shifter - they cannot fit their equipment between the seats with it. This may be a drastic demerit to the car and it's sales.

Oz cops seem to be able to deal with floor shifters in the XR-8s and SS Commodores...and Mitshubishis, Rodeos etc etc.

How much can you really ask for a used patrol car no matter what kind of vehicle it is...The Caprice highway cruisers just might be a good deal for some people.

Originally Posted By: CROWNVIC4LIFE

How much can you really ask for a used patrol car no matter what kind of vehicle it is.

I'm confused. Is that a question or a comment...?

They don't usually "ask" a price, as most sell at auction.

And due to the rarity of these, it could run the auction prices way up when the cars are removed from service and are sold, leading government agencies to see a higher residual value when that time comes.

Just checked out the price of 7-8 yo second hand ones (not that floorpan).

100-110 thousand miles, 5.7, leather, and around 10 grand.

Might be my next get me to work car that can also double as a family second vehicle.

I'm confused. Is that a question or a comment...?

They don't usually "ask" a price, as most sell at auction.

And due to the rarity of these, it could run the auction prices way up when the cars are removed from service and are sold, leading government agencies to see a higher residual value when that time comes.

Actually in South Florida alot of places sell decommissioned patrol cars...They are very hot cars down here...Some are repainted and reconditioned but others are not...Chicago Motors is another big dealer that sells them in Illionis.

But yes the bulk of them are put to auction like you say...I figure how much could they really go at auction...But since they are rare they probably will go for more then the Vic,Charger and Impala like you say.

Originally Posted By: Shannow
Originally Posted By: GMBoy
My only concern is that the car only comes with a floor shifter and most all police depts need column shifters so there is room between the seats for all the electronics. My wife already told me that while the car is perfect in specs, she cannot use them in her police fleet JUST BECAUSE of the floor shifter - they cannot fit their equipment between the seats with it. This may be a drastic demerit to the car and it's sales.

Oz cops seem to be able to deal with floor shifters in the XR-8s and SS Commodores...and Mitshubishis, Rodeos etc etc.

10" of clearance is not enough. The cars have computers, radios etc that occupy the entire area between the seats from the dash on back. The shifer simply does not work for her police fleet and according to her - many US cities cannot make it work either. This is a very large police force in the DFW area, by the way. I cannot remember a patrol car ever having a console shifter. The Caprice, Crown Vic, Charger, Impala, Tahoe - all column shifters. The occasional Mustang or Camaro of years back did, but they served only one purpose and that was not routine patrol use.

Originally Posted By: AuthorEditor
The brochure says there is 10" of open floor space between the front seats for equipment, though I suppose that would mean departments would have to purchase some sort of specialize console. Will your wife's department consider the Carbon, or just between the Charger and the Taurus?

Right now, they have been only purchasing Charges and Tahoes. The Impalas fail miserably and the lovely Crown Vics are getting ready to be discontinued.

the ex ploice cars are hot only cause the bros think they are hot stuff in them. i guess they want to curse the hood with out being shot at. it should be illegal to sell them to the public as its easy to impersonate a police /detective .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back