First New Car Oil Change At 1,000 Miles ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why not? Aside from the usual final flushing of manufacturing, sand casting, machining and wear in particulate... I don't like varnish buildup, or even entertaining it's existence on my new engine :)

Originally Posted By: powayroger
With my 08 honda civic, I went 5,000 before teh first change because honda told me that they had special break in oil. All otehr vehicles of mine, my first oil changes occur at teh following mile marks-

X2, this is the same routine for all my new vehicles,500,1500, and switch to synthetic at the 3K mark
thumbsup2.gif

How are things in Poway roger?

I prefer to do the 1,000 initial oil change. The purpose is to get rid of potential manufacuring debris, machining chips, sand, etc.

I like to drain the FF at 1K in a new engine.
I think this helps to remove any stray machining debris as well as stray gasket material.
Also, your new car was probably test driven rather harshly, so I'd like to get any gross break-in wear particles out.
Having said this, you could probably run the full recommended OCI on the FF, and your engine would likely still be running just fine when the rest of the car is wasted.

Change #1 - 500 miles (Pennzoil Yellow Bottle)
Change #2 - 2,500 miles (Pennzoil Yellow Bottle again)
Change #3 - 5,000 miles (Synthetic of choice for said engine)

Of course, this is my method for cars and motorcycles. If I have an engine that Spec's Synthetic (Like my Turbo VW Passat), then it get Synthetic for the whole 'break-in' time.....and I use GC. Naturally aspirated engines get dino Yellow Bottle for the first 5k miles....because it is cheap.

For my 2010 Fusion I changed out the FF at 1k miles with new 5w20 Motorcraft syn blend which is what supposedly came in it. At 5k im going to change that out for a full syn thinking about the Penn Ultra.

Originally Posted By: brights_garage
I always change from 500 - 1000 miles. Shine a flashlight in the drain pan and you'll see why.

Never saw anything in the drain pan when I changed out the factory fill on our Altima V6 at 2500 miles.

2008 Civic changed FF at 4,865 with MC Semi Syn 5W20 and PureOne filter.

2010 Civic changed FF at 4,987 with PYB 5W20 and Honda AO1 filter.

all of the vehichles i have bought new i have went out to the recommended oci in the manual on the factory fill, 5,000mi., or 7,500mi. there is an oil filter in place to take care of debris.

with the extended warrenty coming with all of the newer vehichles, if the manufacturers thought there were going to be an issue with the first oc it would be in bold letters to dump early

Even if a "special" FF (e.g. Honda) has increased elements that assist with break in, isn't the manufacturer using that FF based on the assumption that the owner will go the full prescribed OCI and therefore need a break in oil?

In other words, if you change a special FF out early and use a quality oil in its place, was the need for the special FF eclipsed by the earlier OCI?

changing ff by 2K in 2010 fusion 3.5. will use mc semisyn 5w20 an fl500s filter for the next change. unfortunately the filter is not readily stocked at local wmart az or aap. thereafter i have penn ultra, picked it up for $20 per 5qt jug, to go along with mc fl500s filters.

Originally Posted By: The Critic
I always change from 500 - 1000 miles. Shine a flashlight in the drain pan and you'll see why.

Never saw anything in the drain pan when I changed out the factory fill on our Altima V6 at 2500 miles.

Not sure why I did this but have done it several times and observed fine metal particulate suspended in the oil. Want to make it more interesting, pry the ADBV open and shine a light into the oil that drains from the filter.

Originally Posted By: The Critic

Not sure why I did this but have done it several times and observed fine metal particulate suspended in the oil. Want to make it more interesting, pry the ADBV open and shine a light into the oil that drains from the filter.

Nope, nothing from the VQ35DE. I'll look closer at the next oil change.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back