The best Diesel engine

Status
Not open for further replies.
Over all the history of them, which engine do you think is the very best of all time? (as in terms of power, reliability, ability to be rebuilt easily, and your IMO)

One that is NOT an option that adds $5-7k to the price of the vehicle (as is the case with the GM and Ford trucks). I have not researched cars, but have noticed that the TDI cars from VW seem reasonably priced next to their gasser stablemates.

In all seriousness, if the buyer can't get a diesel up front for a reasonable price compared to the gasoline-fueled alternatives, they have no hope of success.

Agreed, but I was meaning in terms of a reliable, heavy duty engines. What is your personal favorite?

Fairbanks Morse makes some really good stuff. I know the Navy uses them, very reliable engine.
Trains use them too.

FM-38D-12CYL-500PIX.jpg

Something like this. It is a large two stroke 12 cyl 24 opposed piston engine.

TDI...POOP. I had one worst thing I have ever owned. Don't get me started, having lived at TDIclub.com I can tell you most others had the same issues. Made me feel good about my mid 80's early 90's turbo Dodges.

I tend to like the International DT series the best.

DT360
DTA360
DT408
DT466
DT466E
DT530
DT530E
DT570

all good.

Originally Posted By: ls1mike
Fairbanks Morse makes some really good stuff. I know the Navy uses them, very reliable engine.
Trains use them too.

FM-38D-12CYL-500PIX.jpg

Something like this. It is a large two stroke 12 cyl 24 opposed piston engine.

TDI...POOP. I had one worst thing I have ever owned. Don't get me started, having lived at TDIclub.com I can tell you most others had the same issues. Made me feel good about my mid 80's early 90's turbo Dodges.

I like saying that name- Fairbanks Morse. It's fun.

How about this old diesel?
First

Originally Posted By: Chris142
Early Big Cam 290 or 350 Cummins.
+1 The engines before the big cam sounded really good.

Cummins made an engine I think called the NTA 600 It had 600 HP and more c.i. than the 850 c.i models ,they were super powerful almost like driving an 80,000 lb car.

Originally Posted By: scurvy
The 6/1 slow speed Lister engine.

+1 on cold start Listers.
But really what other criteria/Usage?

I can't give a model number or displacement, but the old diesel engines in Cat dozers made in the 60's and 70's with the gas pony engine to start them were way to cool. They were on the D-6's and higher. I was a kid and would watch my dad crank them up and it looked like a shay steam engine smoking. Those were the good old days.

Being a former Air Force officer I know they are currently replacing the WWI-WWII diesel engines that were used in Subs then in the 60's put in place as backup generators at Missile Launch facilities.
It just turns out it is cheaper to buy a Honda than to fix the old guys.
They had one at the training facility that had 1917 cast into the block.

Originally Posted By: Steve S
Cummins made an engine I think called the NTA 600 It had 600 HP and more c.i. than the 850 c.i models ,they were super powerful almost like driving an 80,000 lb car.
KTA450 or the KTTA600....Both 1150 cu in.

If you are talking cars, the OM616/617 family of MB diesel engines (2.4 and 3.0, NA and turbo) are by far the longest lasting, and most reliable diesels out there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back