di-electric grease not helping

Status
Not open for further replies.
For the first time in my life I used grease on the porcelain of the spark plugs. I went to do a piston soak today and the first one was stuck on good. I had to pull pretty hard while twisting to get it loose.

I used the clear/whitish grease that came with the plug wirese I put on a few months back. I probably only used a third of the tiny packet, just enough to coat the porcelain, not slather it on.

It seems as if the heat hardened the grease and made my plug bond to the rubber boot. Nothing was broken, but not sure how I would go about this next time!?

Sounds like you might have not put enough of it on. I've been using it for a very long time, and it has eliminated the problem of boots welding themselves to the plugs. I apply it to the inside of the plug boot, and not the plug though. Try that next time, apply a nice coat of the stuff. HTH

How often do you feel a need to soak the pistons?

If you don't want to risk ripping a boot or pulling off a clip, then don't pull the boots off.

I apply the grease with a paper bent clip or small pick tool and put about a BB sized ball on the end if the tool and swirl it around the inside of the lower portion of the boot.

Spark plugs have become increasingly lower in maintainence over the years and quality free standing wires would last the life of the plugs. Up to 100,000 mile sparkplug life been commonplace for going on to 20 years with double platinum.

I believe the boot should be stuck a bit to insure a good seal. Good plug wires are expensive and rotation of the boot & tugging is required due to clip tension & vacuume.

Never had a problem even without grease. twist till it breaks free then remove. The only times I've had problems is with aftermarket wires, Were just putting plugs in but the boss will prep the customer for wires, as we know that they are going to tear or come apart. OE for ignition components hands down then generally no problems.
That brings up another problem little off of subject but here it goes. when people put wires on they just slap them on not routed properly not in there holders, and not covered with chafe gaurd where the wire runs across metal. If these few steps are followed OE wires can go 90k on up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back