Is there consensus on Fram High Mileage filter?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know enough to decide whether they're putting junk in the oil that shouldn't be there or helping to keep the additive level up. Anybody know whether additive in the filter is a good or bad idea? This idea first surface in the 70s when I belive Monroe came out with a filter that contained additive.

I run M1 EP filters purchased at AZ. I did notice the Fram High Mileage while in walmart which is what prompted the question. I used Fram oil filters all the time back in the 80s but then I was changing the oil so often that almost anything would have worked.

Ditto. Always a better option at any given Fram price point (and you can rest easy at night knowing it won't implode and kill your car - bonus. :)

-Spyder

Some like the XG (I think it is, I don't really look at them). They are one of Fram's "best" filters, but they cost almost as much as an M1 EP.

-Spyder

I used Fram Though Guard a few times, no problems.But it was more expensive than Pure One.So I stopped using Fram altogether.

My description, a Fram with orange can like construction and a magic bullet lozenge, supposedly to "condition oil" to keep viscosity longer. My advice, pass. Gimmick.

Gimmick. Marketing at its worst...

Just more of the same old, same old from the company that nobody else copies any ideas from.

Originally Posted By: Spyder7
Some like the XG (I think it is, I don't really look at them). They are one of Fram's "best" filters, but they cost almost as much as an M1 EP.

-Spyder

They cost as much as M1 Ep because they are just as good or better IMHO. Why would you want to put an additive in your engine anyway?

Although I didn't ask the question correctly, my motivation was wondering whether the additive in the filter might extend the life of the oil by impacting TBN. The response from Gary Allan, someone who knows way more than me, suggests that this may be a possibility.

Originally Posted By: teddyboy
Although I didn't ask the question correctly, my motivation was wondering whether the additive in the filter might extend the life of the oil by impacting TBN. The response from Gary Allan, someone who knows way more than me, suggests that this may be a possibility.

So what is FRAM's technical claim? ... besides it's good for your engine type of hype.

Wonder if you emailed FRAM if they could give you an actual technical answer and/or real test data that shows it actually has benefits?

Originally Posted By: Autobahn88

-Spyder

They cost as much as M1 Ep because they are just as good or better IMHO.

Not according to the real world comparisons I've looked at. I'm not going to claim they are the absolute best money can buy, but they're better than anything made by Fram.

Their only downside is that they're expensive, however with this particular filter, its worth the extra for those who want one of the best filters on the market and/or do extended OCIs.

But to each their own. We will have to agree to disagree on this.

-Spyder

If the auto makers know when they want the oil changed in their cars, and the oil makers know how to blend quality oils that will last for that interval, then why in heaven does FRAM think they know better than both?

I for one would never trust a company that puts PTFE in an oil filter (FRAM DoubleGuard) to put some proprietary miracle glop in there that supposedly helps my oil do its job...yeah right.

Massive gimmick...
Originally Posted By: mrsilv04
Just more of the same old, same old from the company that nobody else copies any ideas from.

Back when the Teflon fad was occurring, the marketing whiz's at Fram must have thought they would cash in on the craze and developed the Double Guard, clever name. The idea being to release the Teflon through the filter with pre treated media.
smirk2.gif
Since discontinued.

There are many, what ifs' and possibilties, but it boils down to, do you want your filter maker/manufacturer to decide what additives/chemicals go in your oil? I don't. I'll leave that to oil manufacturers, and change it regularly.

And, pick a filter for quality construction, with good filtration at a reasonable price.

I'll skip the High Mileage "sizzle" Fram is selling here.
49.gif

-Spyder

They are about 8 bucks at Walmart while the M1 EP is 13 bucks at a part store. That is not almost as much.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back