Lower Intake Manifold gasket

Status
Not open for further replies.
How much should it cost to have a LIM gasket replaced eventually? It's a '03 Impala with the 3.4.

I don't have the skills, space, nor know anyone available to do it for me other than the garage we have taken it to for stuff over the years. I just wanted a figure I can keep in mind when I check with the place (he's honest, but I still would like to check a couple other places including one I worked at temporarily 10+ years ago).

My daughter's car was at the dealer last month having other work done to her 2002 Grand Am with the 3.4 and he mentioned a leak at the LIM. Just for giggles, I asked how much to replace the gaskets. $750. Fair amount of labor involved I guess and how many people are really going to tackle something like that themselves.

It's an easy job i've done many $100 in parts if that but to take it in maybe $500 or so,price around is your best bet.

Have it done somewhere that will give you a warranty on it.

Also have the thermostat replaced with one that opens up at a cooler temperature (few degrees cooler than OEM spec) (that is the fail-safe type) and this will help you to protect it in future.

You can also flush out any coolant you have and replace with 2 year green-glycol based with a 50/50 mixed with distilled de-ionized water and use a cooling system lubricant that will help your cooling system from forming corrosion that can be acidic and eat away at the new gasket.

Make sure you get the higher quality LIM gasket on the market!

Last edited:
Had my '02 Impala 3.4 done by a friend mechanic and I believe it was $500-$600. It is a bit of labor to get to.

Originally Posted By: mrplavick
Had my '02 Impala 3.4 done by a friend mechanic and I believe it was $500-$600. It is a bit of labor to get to.

Yup. $500 minimum. Have them flush the cooling system as well.

Be sure the new gasket is the most recent revision. There are at least two updates on that gasket.

We had our 2001 impala 3.4 done twice. The first time was under warranty by a dealer. The second time with the second revision intake gasket was not under warranty. We paid a local mechanic 400 for that job. But at the same time I had him flush the engine and radiator (the shop was a good radiator shop), replace all hoses, water pump, thermostat, plugs, wires, serpentine belt, idler pulley with tensioner, cabin air filter, engine air filter, fuel filter, and fill with 50/50 Prestone Low-Tox.

I supplied him with most of the parts for the additional work, his total bill was 700 dollars.

Prestone Low-Tox is more expensive, but it has two benefits. It is Low-Tox which is nice to know incase the heater core ever springs a leak. You should still get a leaking heater core replaced ASAP. Low-Tox does not mean no-tox. The second benefit is Prestone Low-Tox mixed 50/50 with distilled water is one of the best for keeping the inside of your radiator and engine clean.

If you change the thermostat to a lower temperature your gas millage might decrease. Engine efficiency is directly related to operating temperature. The higher the temperature the better the efficiency. The new design gasket with Prestone Low-Tox should be all you have to do to make any 3.4 reliable. We kept our thermostat at original speck.

The last time I ordered Prestone Low-Tox I got a 6 gallon case from Napa. About $96 if I remember right.

Mileage might suffer a bit but you can buy a lot of gas with the $700 of not having to do the gasket again and the aggravation of it!

Ps: Get the bolts for the intake re-torqued by the same shop about a month later. Also get any hose clamps re-torqued about 6 months later. A small amount of additional tighting is all that is required for these hose clamps. About a half turn 6 months later, but this is real important with any new hose. If you do not do it it usually will let go within a year after the first 6 months. If you do not replace all the hoses, at least be sure to have the shop use new hose for the small hose by the thermostat. This is a low cost part and many shops will not take the extra time to use a new piece of hose unless you specify it. Also tell them to use new clamps for any clamp they work on.

also be sure to get in on the class action suit floating around the web. Both my parents and my sister got checks in weeks from GM. $80 each I think. Better than nothing.

Originally Posted By: dwcopple
also be sure to get in on the class action suit floating around the web. Both my parents and my sister got checks in weeks from GM. $80 each I think. Better than nothing.
I didn't know anything about that. Every time we'd look something up on NHTSA or similar there would be nothing for the '00-'05 Impalas except maybe something for the 3.8
28.gif

That ended several years ago.

We had it done in 2005 on our 2002 Impala with the 3.4. Everything total (I think that included a new thermostat, coolant flush, and oil change, but it is hard to remember that far back and we don't have the vehicle anymore so I don't have the paperwork) was $650 or so. This Chevy dealer was about $75/hr. labor or so at the time.

Originally Posted By: Drew99GT

Typical GM.
28.gif

Originally Posted By: RacerE7773
Originally Posted By: Drew99GT

Typical GM.
28.gif

Go buy a Honda.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back