SuperTech 4967 Cut Open

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: heypete
What advantages would those filters have for extended OCIs over the STs? M1 filters are also made by Champion, and seem to have remarkably similar construction (e.g. metal end caps, at least in the case of this particular ST filter) to the ST, but at 5x the price.

I could see issues with running an orange Fram filter for 10,000 miles, but this particular ST seems to have no obvious deficiencies that I can see: metal end caps, metal central tube, flexible ADBV, good gasket, button-type bypass valve that is not dependent on a leaf spring, reasonably good filter paper area for the volume of the filter shell, etc.

While I prefer to stick to the manufacturer's recommended OCIs, I don't see why a different brand filter would be a better choice. Care to elaborate? I'm genuinely curious.

Dear Genuinely curious-

For starters, none of the filters that I mentioned are "5x" the price of a SuperTech, unless SuperTechs are never more than $1.99.

I personally don't pay over $7 for any filter, that's my personal $ threshold. I can buy M1's for $6.99 (or less) on sale (and are regularly priced at $9.99).

Not all SuperTechs are constructed in this same way, either. Many ST's are e-cores.

A silicone ADBV would likely be beneficial for extended intervals, as would be a enhanced grade of filtering media (and more of it). Both are found in the filters I mentioned.

And before I'm labelled as being "anti-SuperTech/anti-Champion", I have a M1 filter on my Silverado right now.

^^^Reasonable summary points, IMO.
49.gif

Originally Posted By: mrsilv04
For starters, none of the filters that I mentioned are "5x" the price of a SuperTech, unless SuperTechs are never more than $1.99.

I personally don't pay over $7 for any filter, that's my personal $ threshold. I can buy M1's for $6.99 (or less) on sale (and are regularly priced at $9.99).

I wish I had your prices.
55.gif
The Mobil 1 filters at the local AutoZone are $12.99, which makes them 5.05 times more expensive than the $2.57 for a SuperTech filter.

Quote:
Not all SuperTechs are constructed in this same way, either. Many ST's are e-cores.

Indeed. Does this have some negative effect on long OCIs? My understanding was that ecores are quite durable.

Quote:
A silicone ADBV would likely be beneficial for extended intervals, as would be a enhanced grade of filtering media (and more of it). Both are found in the filters I mentioned.

Indeed.

Originally Posted By: steve20
Pete
Do yourself a favor DO NOT cut open a Purolator or Bosch filter.
It will make you think, OMG why did I use ST in the first place.

Why would it make me think that? Are the Bosch and Purolator filters far superior to SuperTechs? I cut open a used Bosch filter from my friend's 1992 Ford Explorer and it looked pretty standard -- metal end caps, orange ADBV, etc. It was considerably larger in volume than the smaller filters used on my Toyota.

Anyway, thanks to all for their responses.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Capa
Any estimates as to how many miles this supertech filter can go on an extended drain? 10,000? I'm looking to change my oil every 10,ooo miles and am looking for a good, inexpensive filter that can go the distance.

The ST can defenentally go the distance but I would opt for a filter with a Silicone ADBV like a NAPA gold. I use AcDelco Ecores on my silverado with the OLM that hits 7-8k miles and the filter is good.

Last edited:
Update:

I measured certain properties of this filter today when I was comparing it to the Toyota 90915-YZZF1.

The anti-drainback valve is 5.4cm in diameter.

4cm of filter element is exposed between the metal end caps. (A small amount may have been removed when I cut the paper with a knife, but no more than a millimeter or so.) The full height of the SuperTech media, including the metal end caps and the paper covered by them, is 5.1cm.

The paper pleats are 1.3cm in depth.

Pete
It will make you think, OMG why did I use ST in the first place

Both River Rat and I compared a cut open L 10193 and a STP 3910. Hardly a bit of difference. Absolutely no reason to send your dollars to enrich German fat cats.

The ST 3950 is no longer available, but ST and STP are both made by Champ and usually are about the same.

The real reason not to cut open a Purolator is to avoid seeing what an ordinary filter it is.

My yaris calls for the ST4967 and this makes me feel a whole lot better about using them. I keep seeing sooooo many pics with fiber end caps and flimsy construction. Im still going to switch to WIX filters from now on starting with the next change. No matter how good this filter may be.

Originally Posted By: labman
Pete
It will make you think, OMG why did I use ST in the first place

Both River Rat and I compared a cut open L 10193 and a STP 3910. Hardly a bit of difference. Absolutely no reason to send your dollars to enrich German fat cats.

The ST 3950 is no longer available, but ST and STP are both made by Champ and usually are about the same.

The real reason not to cut open a Purolator is to avoid seeing what an ordinary filter it is.

Labman you make me sound tame talking about Toyota and Honda.

Originally Posted By: heypete
Originally Posted By: mrsilv04

I wish I had your prices.
55.gif
The Mobil 1 filters at the local AutoZone are $12.99, which makes them 5.05 times more expensive than the $2.57 for a SuperTech filter.

Quote:

Indeed. Does this have some negative effect on long OCIs? My understanding was that ecores are quite durable.

Quote:

Indeed.

Pete
It will make you think, OMG why did I use ST in the first place.

Why would it make me think that? Are the Bosch and Purolator filters far superior to SuperTechs? I cut open a used Bosch filter from my friend's 1992 Ford Explorer and it looked pretty standard -- metal end caps, orange ADBV, etc. It was considerably larger in volume than the smaller filters used on my Toyota.

Anyway, thanks to all for their responses.

Ahhh yea.....does a ST have a 99.9% @ 20 micron spec and superior dirt holding capability's?

not with that thin media.

@ Steve20
thumbsup2.gif

Does anyone know the effciency ratings for any oil filters these days. Been having a hard time finding that information. I know wix claims to have a a micron rating of 10 but at what percent? Other than that I have no idea. Super Tech claims 99.9% and no micron rating. Just annoying.

Quote:
Super Tech claims 99.9% and no micron rating....
Really? Where did you read this? AFAIK, ST claim a rating of ~94%, but not sure of the micron level.

Quote:
Does anyone know the effciency ratings for any oil filters these days. Been having a hard time finding that information. I know wix claims to have a a micron rating of 10 but at what percent?

Wix generally posts a Beta spec on their website for each filter, once you can read/interpret the Beta, you can get the efficiency and micron level. IIRC, not all Wix are at 10mu.

Originally Posted By: sayjac
Quote:
Super Tech claims 99.9% and no micron rating....
Really? Where did you read this? AFAIK, ST claim a rating of ~94%, but not sure of the micron level.

Quote:
Does anyone know the effciency ratings for any oil filters these days. Been having a hard time finding that information. I know wix claims to have a a micron rating of 10 but at what percent?

Wix generally posts a Beta spec on their website for each filter, once you can read/interpret the Beta, you can get the efficiency and micron level. IIRC, not all Wix are at 10mu.

On the side of my ST4967 it claims a 99.9% effectiveness.

Humh, I'll have to check that out the next time I'm at Wallyworld, never seen that on the box. But, without a micron rating somewhere it's ambiguous.

If someone could point me in the direction of some Purolators Id be very happy. I have never seen a store in my area sell them. Ive heard Kmart has them, Ill look next time but such a popular quality filter shouldnt be soo hard to find.

Purolators can be found at Advance Auto Parts. Also now at Kmart's, everyday price generally < AAP's price, and Amazon, buy ~4 and something else and get free shipping.

fwiw, it's likely the only/main reason I'd go into Kmart.

Originally Posted By: yaris0128
If someone could point me in the direction of some Purolators Id be very happy. I have never seen a store in my area sell them. Ive heard Kmart has them, Ill look next time but such a popular quality filter shouldnt be soo hard to find.

Yes they can be found @ Advance Auto Parts and at Kmart.

great filters!

Originally Posted By: daman
Originally Posted By: yaris0128

Yes they can be found @ Advance Auto Parts and at Kmart.

great filters!

For being so good they should be more available. Sort of like FRAM... maybe not.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back