firestone destination a/t

Status
Not open for further replies.
the longer i have them the less i like them, i'm at 10k mi on them and they are nearly 50% worn! they also are the least capable a/t i've ever had, though they are great in the rain.

Mine are 3 years old and 15k,the are alright except for
the cracks in the sidewalls already (all 4).

Originally Posted By: QuOk
Mine are 3 years old and 15k,the are alright except for
the cracks in the sidewalls already (all 4).

mine were doing good till about 6k then they started wearing quick, what vehicle do you have them on? i have them on an 04 dakota quad cab 4x4 so i'm thinking it maybe a weight issue. also i've towed quite a bit with them and i live in a mountainous area, but it still seems premature to me.

Last edited:
2000 Chevy Tracker (Suzuki Vitara).
Slightly Larger than stock size and lightly loaded.
Tows a 1400lb boat maybe 6 times a year.
Hardly any tread wear.

I think my dad has those on his Sliverado and ran them 60k miles and probably could have gone another 5k in a warmer climate (he wanted new tires to be safe for winter in WI). Might have not been a/t, though. They were Firestone (OEM). When they needed replacing he wanted to get the same thing because he was so happy with them, but they were discountinued, so he got what replaced them (again, don't know the exact tire without asking him).

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten” – Benjamin Franklin

In other words, it's a Firestone...

yes.. i wanted the bfg a/t or goodyear silent armor but wanted to save a couple bucks and bought the destinations
frown.gif

Think it's a [censored]. Meaning, I've bought tires before that I thought were going to give me longer treadlife; i..e BFG a/t's only to find them completely worn down at 25k miles.

It's hard to say.

I run a set of Revo's (sister to firestone) on my dodge diesel, which is a lot heavier and I'm pushing 25k, they don't even look broke in.

Originally Posted By: Ramblin Fever
Think it's a [censored]. Meaning, I've bought tires before that I thought were going to give me longer treadlife; i..e BFG a/t's only to find them completely worn down at 25k miles.

It's hard to say.

I run a set of Revo's (sister to firestone) on my dodge diesel, which is a lot heavier and I'm pushing 25k, they don't even look broke in.

the factory wrangler rt/s that came on this truck lasted me 50k i just don't understand what the issue is here. also i think the destinations have to soft of a rubber, since i'm assuming your revos are load range e they may have some tougher rubber, i hear a lot about the bfg at's wearing quikly on full size trucks, i had a set on a wrangler and got 80k out of them, so i was wanting to go that direction again, but when these wear out i think i'll go with the silent armors.

I have em on my Liberty, while they are an amazing tire grip wise, they do wear down rather quickly.

Will likely go with Michelin next time.

The Destination A/T is ranked #1 in the TireRack customer survey. It's also a very popular on many truck forums.

I myself had a set of Destination LEs on my truck and they were great - smooth, quiet, excellent in the snow and lasted a long time. I was going to get another set but the Michelin LTX had a $70 rebate so decided to try them.

I have had three sets of Destination A/Ts in three different sizes, on three different vehicles (same platform though), and no regrets.

not saying they are a horrible tire,and it seems to be a common complaint with these tires to wear quickly. but they should really be classified as a highway tire in my mind, since they have very little off road ability,i know they won't be a super aggressive off road tire but out of the many a/t's i've owned these are the least off road worthy.as for tire rack surveys, most have been written with 5k or less miles, not really a great judge of longevity.

In regards to them not having much off-road ability; that I definitely don't agree with.

Have a set of these firestone's on my company truck; I work for underground locators/pipeline where we look, locate and pothole for underground utilities....this job takes me into fields, up mountain slopes, down unpaved, mud-pit roads, you name it we have to get to it or through it.

Have no complaints with the little ford ranger these tires are mounted onto, for an all around tire that does great on the highway as well, these aren't bad.

This company has had some cheap goodyear a/t tires, wild-country, sumoto's, bfg a/t's, and these firestone's seem to be much less prone to suffering off-road issues, haven't had any flats or repairs, etc.

If one needs an extreme off-road tire though, they need to look at like the new Goodyear Duratrac's, tread depth is much deeper, etc. I just mounted these on my Isuzu rodeo....they are superb off-road thus far, but again, not as smooth on road as milder A/T tires would be.

I have to agree with Ramblin. On a work truck, we have the Destination AT's and they are just fine in off road or snow situations. We have no complaints in that arena. No idea on wear though as we haven't had them on that rig all that long.

The comment above about the destination LE's being good in the snow did make me laugh. They are the sole reason we have snow tires for our Explorer now. They were that bad in the snow.

i guess i need to explain how i determined the off road capability of these tires, i have a favorite spot on the river i always go to, it's down a pretty nasty fire road. when i bought the truck it had factory wrangler rt/s, could get all they way there and back i 2wd though sometimes i would spin the tires up some inclines,then i had a set of kumho road venture at/s, did about the same, had to replace after i ran over a piece of metal on the freeway, then i got the destination a/t, going down that same road, same truck there is 2 places where i need to put it in 4wd to get out. had bfg a/t on my jeep they where awesome!have the cooper stt on my 07 4 door wrangler also awesome (but not comparable to an a/t i know)

Don't know about actual river areas with the firestone's.

I know the BFG A/T's we had on our personal truck, cummins dodge diesel were horrible in/around the lake, riverbed areas on that truck. Couldn't dock the boat on a slippery dock with that truck the whole time I had BFG's on it.

They only lasted me 1.5yrs, couldn't stand to keep them. Don't know if it was the weight of that truck or the tires, either way, won't ever buy them again.

Have Bridgestone Revo's on that same truck now; they are fantastic on boat docks as well as sandy and rocky areas along riverbeds here.

But I have no experience with the company truck on riverbed lining areas with the firestone's it has on it.

I probably wouldn't buy the firestone's for my personal trucks, as I need something with MUCH more bite then the typical A/T tire offers, which is why I got the Duratrac's for one truck. The other 2 trucks don't need tires just yet.

im on set #2 of my destination A/T'S i have no regrets either, 06 extended cab silverado 4x4 first set was on a 96 gmc yukon GT 2door 4x4.. both trucks, these tires have been flawless, inexpensive, almost no road noise, and im in muddy fields deer hunting.. NEVER been hung up. Only thing close to a complaint is i do have to weight my bed in the winter.. but i believe id have to do that with even the most aggresive MT tire. If it wasnt for price, id consider bridgestone AT/KO'S but man there expensive.. and the firestones havent let me down yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back