Ordered my 2nd set of Yokohama TRZs

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a bad habit of replacing the oem tires on new vehicles. On the Tiguan came Pirelli Scorpions in 215/65-16. I wanted 225/65-16, taller and wider, for the extra cusion and grip, and there are only a few to choose from. TRZ now comes in a HR version, so I went for it. They worked well, and I got my mileage out of them on the CRV.

Another other bad habit I have is not using the same tire twice. There are a lot of good ones out there, and I always want to try something new, but this time I went with a known-good tire. I like plain all-seasons on small SUVs. $40 rebate made it $100 a tire. The Scorpions are for sale for $225, half of their online price.

I want to get a great tire at a great price for my daughter's 06 Mazda 3 2.0i. She has Dunlop Signature on there now. Looking for a quieter tire that tracks straight on the hwy with good all weather traction in a FWD car.

I have consideres tha Avid TRZ along with other tires which I have talked about in other threads. It's good to hear nice reviews on these TRZ tires.

Maybe AJ, you can elaborite a bit more on the TRZ's and what is it that you like most about the tires. By the time my daughter is ready for tires, I'll probably make a completely different choices in tires but, it will be the right choice. I'll be looking for tires for myself as well. Have you ever used the TRZ's on a FWD car?

I'll be asking these questions all the way, right up til it's time to buy!

While Audi says he got good service from the TRZs on a CR-V, I can't concur. We replaced the OEM Bridgestone Dueleers with the Avid TRZs in the stock size at somewhere around 30K. The TRZs actually wore down faster than the Duelers, not quite making 30K. All tires were rotated every oil change and pressure maintained pretty well. No uneven wear or other signs of anything out of sorts. Other than not getting anywhere near it's treadware rating, I can't complain about anything else with the TRZ.

The TRZs were replaced with Michelin Harmonys. While all new tires are usually a noticeable improvement over the outgoing set just due to the fact of aging, I've never noticed such a drastic improvement with a new set of tires; specifically in terms of road noise and ride comfort. Dry/wet handling certainly seems to be up to anything we might attempt with the CR-V. :) Given Michelin's 80K treadware warranty on them, they certainly seem to be worth the $20ish/tire upcharge over the TRZs. As always, IMO and YMMV. :)

-Brent

Last edited:
I thought the TRZs wore well, but that was the T version. I'm used to fast wear, coming from the Audis on HP tires.

They are soft and smooth, quiet too. I had some chop on them at the end, but that worked itself out finally.Wet performance was great. Dry grip is very good. Like I said, I did not have a lot of choices in this size. I did not want a pure HP tire on the Tigger like Eagle GT either. Sure, it was a compramise, but I think that TRZ is a good match for the hwy driving I do. It still will work when I push it in the curves. Our roads are bad here, so the extra size, plus it being a soft rider sounds like a hit.

I dunno what else to say, I rarely buy the same tire twice and I did w/the TRZ.

I think they will be better than the Scorpions, rated like #18 in the weak category of truck tires.

The only other tire I considered in 225/65-16 was Altimax HP. Good in rain and snow, but I was concerned about quality and about wear. The HR TRZ exceed their wear rating. Assy tread > directional tread in real-world too. I'd feel kind of silly with directional treads on a truck.

Michelin Harmony is a very long lasting tire, I have a set on LS400 since around 2004-2005. It had been 70-80k miles and still has about 3-4/32" tread left, the car had many different tires and no tires lasted more than 30-35k miles.

Do you have access to tire mounting and balancing machines? Your hobby of swapping tires must be getting very expensive as these labor charges rack up at 25/tire.

Well, it was worth the hassle. These ride awesome. Over cracked pavement, the Scorpions were murder, the TRZs are like butter. Can say much about the handling yet, they are still a little slippery. After selling the Pirellis, and doing the rebate, the cost is about $100 for me, plus mounting. Seems worth it, since I'll have to live with them for the next 3 years.

I forgot to mention, I went up a full size, 215/65-16 to 225/65-16, but that does not account for the big difference in ride. Even if it did, it was worth the hassle anyway. 1/4" higher.

Sold the Scorpions for $275, made a typo above.

I'll post again as things become more apparent.

w00t!

downsized_0623001341.jpg

These things are awesome. Smooth and soft like butter, but no complaints in the turns. I have a lot better on center weight, likely due to the wider size. All things considered, there are exactly what I want in a tire for this vehicle. It's had to believe how horrible the oems tires are by comparison.

Thanks Steve, but I have some bad news.

I got an EM from the buyer of my Scorpions. I apparently incorrectly listed them as VR, when they are HR, which is actually a more expensive version and is made in Germany. I saved the guy $30 in shipping too, but he was cranky about that because he had to pick them up at the post office. I didn't know what to say except that it was an honest mistake, and he has perfectly usable tires at half of retail.

Haven't heard back from him, but he wanted me to pay $75 to ship them back, which isn't reasonable, imo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back